Le Potager du Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: The Kitchen Garden Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

by Doris » 08/10/21, 09:54

I am currently catching up with my PP videos a bit, and I am coming back to the cauliflower. The spring mine didn't do anything, like what you show in the video, it's the only cabbages, which didn't work. I think it is due to a problem of too low temperatures during the plantation, and then a lack of watering due to a drilling problem. But if I understood correctly, at home in my climate it would be possible to sow some now? My soil still remains well above 15 ° until the end of the year, or even more, I have a mess of organic matter to maintain the nitrification machine, and watering is no longer a problem. In this case, if I manage to get the inflorescence of these cabbages to form before a possible winter, will it freeze the cauliflowers at the size obtained before the cold, or do they resume growth in the spring? In addition, once the preparation for flowering is engaged and corresponds to the biological clock of the plant, I should not have any other worries, than to protect it from the elements?
0 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 08/10/21, 14:18

Did67 wrote:I don't know which uses the most energy: sterilization (by heat) or freezing ??? Of course, you can sterilize with wood, but not freeze!
You may need 1.5 to 4 kWh to sterilize in the pressure cooker, which is about 1 or 2 days in the freezer.
0 x
Julienmos
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Julienmos » 08/10/21, 14:58

still a little early to plant the garlic (I prefer early November) but I still ask the question:

is it better to make the tip protrude above ground level, or else, as I have seen, completely bury the bulbil?

another thing, the cloves around the edge being bigger, do you plant only those or also those in the center of the pod?
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 08/10/21, 17:47

For the winter, I sink a little ... In the spring, often the dry leaves at the top of the bulbils protrude a little. I don't know if it's rational!

[But I told you somewhere - in a video? - that the bulbils lying around, unearthed, it is the anecic worms which see nothing, think that it is hay and pull them towards their hole - and arrived there, they realize that it does not fit; in the same way, you can observe kinds of "mikado" of stalks of straw or of coarse stalks of hay: these are the strands that the anecic do not manage to fit into their gallery; if you carefully remove the mikado, you will find a gallery hole just below; that would be sufficient reason to bury them a little; anyway, they have the reserve to "drill" 10 or 20 cm!]

Personally I put everything. But the "rikikis" of the center give small heads (it's better than nothing when we have the place) and I have the impression (to verify) sometimes pods not partitioned (like onions).
0 x
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 08/10/21, 17:54

Julienmos wrote:still a little early to plant the garlic (I prefer early November) but I still ask the question:

is it better to make the tip protrude above ground level, or else, as I have seen, completely bury the bulbil?

another thing, the cloves around the edge being bigger, do you plant only those or also those in the center of the pod?

I do not let the tip protrude, everything is buried in the layer of organic matter. The small cloves in the center give small heads, or very often not even a head, but a single large bubbler. But I plant them anyway, and I use them as a winglet or as fresh garlic. When the vegetation wilts, I often can't find it anymore and I forget to pick it up, it then grows back in autumn.
0 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
pi-r
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by pi-r » 09/10/21, 11:27

same type of observation as Doris and Didier. I add 2 small tests which have nothing scientific ...
1- onion bulbils more or less rotting in the bag. I planted those who had more than "bad looks" in the tear: a hole in the dibble in the mulch between two artichokes and peppers .... well it grew we eat them in the form of spring onions
2- I planted garlic cloves of all sizes (not treated) during the summer because we were running out of garlic ... there too hard! no outing for several weeks and suddenly everything has to grow .... like what Didier says nature only asks to grow ... and reproduce!
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 09/10/21, 11:39

I take this opportunity to point out that a small sequence on the Potager du Paresseux took place this morning, on Télématin.

The replay is online on FranceTV.

It's right at the end, just before the final sequence.

[It's always frustrating, this kind of exercise. We shot dozens of sequences for 3 hours. Some repeated several times ... But I find that the synthesis is not bad. The director refrained from "making me say" what he wanted to hear, but tried to synthesize what I said and put it together ...]
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 09/10/21, 11:42

pi-r wrote:
I planted those who had more than "bad looks" hard ...

... here too hard!

Conclude !!!

[What is the point of tiring yourself out "preparing thoroughly" ..., doing carefully ...., above all not forgetting to ... ??? To deal with fears: "what do I have to do to make it work?" Result, with such thoroughness: it often fails!]
1 x
Boris70
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Boris70 » 09/10/21, 17:54

Tithonia diversifolia: an interesting plant to produce biomass, a hedge, an insecticide, ornamental, ...

tithonia.jpg
tithonia.jpg (81.38 KiB) Viewed 1058 times

Tithonia massif in Thailand

I discovered this plant in an old landfill where it was established. It is supposed to be annual with us (it comes from Mexico), but given the size of the massif and its vigor (2-3 m high) I wonder if it has not adapted. It is content with poor ground. This one has been packed down by machines and water often stagnates there. The plant is also known to resist drought well. All the qualities of an invasive!

Information sourced:
https://lavierebelle.org/tithonia-diversifolia-89
0 x
Recharge your batteries in sacred places http://www.lokahita.fr
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 09/10/21, 18:03

Boris70 wrote:Tithonia diversifolia: an interesting plant to produce biomass, a hedge, an insecticide, ornamental, ...

tithonia.jpg
Tithonia massif in Thailand

I discovered this plant in an old landfill where it was established. It is supposed to be annual with us (it comes from Mexico), but given the size of the massif and its vigor (2-3 m high) I wonder if it has not adapted. It is content with poor ground. This one has been packed down by machines and water often stagnates there. The plant is also known to resist drought well. All the qualities of an invasive!

Information sourced:
https://lavierebelle.org/tithonia-diversifolia-89

Always interesting to know.
Too bad it looks a bit too much like Jerusalem artichokes which do well here ... but I'm going to take a closer look anyway

Couldn't find out what this stuff which is a fantastic fall hive is yet, all those who have it can't give me the name
It makes you think of "any" aster

I no longer have the plantnet app (remember why)
So if anyone recognizes it is willingly

20210930_123957.jpg
0 x