Le Potager du Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Did67

Re: The Kitchen Garden Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

by Did67 » 11/04/21, 22:51

Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:
You see at first glance I would have rather appreciated this ground cover that is the cinquefoil but hey in the place where our strawberries are there are hardly any

Crops under "living canopy" work well with upright plants, which pass overhead and obtain the first solar energy ... Low plants, like strawberries, are fooled!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 11/04/21, 22:53

VetusLignum wrote:
For my part, I apply a zero tolerance policy on weeds in my strawberries.
And the ground is mulched with a small layer of wood chips and dead leaves.
Suddenly, I hardly have any.

It would be better. If we cover the ground, apart from the "pain in the ass" mentioned, it is well controlled. Then there remains the "heart" of the strawberries, which are gradually "invaded" by bindweed, grasses, and a few others. The strawberry plant is not "competitive" ...
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 11/04/21, 23:00

The cinquefoil as a ground cover (excluding strawberries) does not seem like a good idea to me, because it is one of the most stubborn weeds (hence its name), not like chickweed or Persian speedwell, for example ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 12/04/21, 05:57

Did67 wrote:I put the ten cm of BRF. Only "problem": having so many BRFs. I had a chance: one year, the cut in the forest was in front of my house, on the other side of the vegetable garden. I chopped a lot that year. Otherwise, I am always a little fair and all my red fruits (strawberries, raspberries, blackcurrants ...) do not receive the quantity that I would like to put them. Because I miss.

I did not have enough brf for my strawberries and other berries this year. I put what seemed to me a nice quantity of dead leaves in addition, but there is not much left, since this weekend I am filling in with hay. I can still scratch some pine needles, but otherwise this year it's hay diet, no choice.
0 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
Did67

by Did67 » 12/04/21, 09:30

Ahmed wrote:The cinquefoil as a ground cover (excluding strawberries) does not seem like a good idea to me, because it is one of the most stubborn weeds (hence its name), not like chickweed or Persian speedwell, for example ...

I share this opinion 1%!

I meant that in a "strawberry" system, it is particularly devious, since it functions exactly like the strawberry plant. So where I had the strawberries, I "cleaned" without work: recultivation of annual vegetables under hay, donate the potato (the harvest of which requires a superficial "scraping" which makes it possible to "clean", after that the culture - which I then make more dense when I want to "clean" - has deprived the pissers of light) ...

At home, once the primary cleaning is done (rumex, couch grass, bindweed, dandelion, bulbous buttercup), by extracting the roots - rhizomes, I have 3 troublesome in the collimator: cinquefoil, yarrow, nettles (they do not come from the side) . I removed all of the side aisles, since this is their "back base" (and I don't need much traffic - except for harvesting).
1 x
stephgouv
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by stephgouv » 12/04/21, 12:36

And at home, yarrow, I use it as a martyr plant against aphids and it was effective last year.
I will see at the end of this year if the result will be the same.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 12/04/21, 13:13

stephgouv wrote:And at home, yarrow, I use it as a martyr plant against aphids and it was effective last year.

It is a fact that many of what I call "pain in the ass" are plants that store a lot of nutrients in their reserve organs. And before the "warehouses", there is transport. So "sugar highways" where these brigands that are aphids settle. The rumices also have their young black aphid inflorescences. They are very useful plants in "buffer spaces" around vegetable gardens. With a small sanitary lock!

Yarrow also has inflorescences (groupings of small flowers) very interesting for small foragers, including auxiliaries (parasitoid wasps, etc.) ...

And it's not ugly.
1 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 12/04/21, 13:28

Did67 wrote:
stephgouv wrote:And at home, yarrow, I use it as a martyr plant against aphids and it was effective last year.

It is a fact that many of what I call "pain in the ass" are plants that store a lot of nutrients in their reserve organs. And before the "warehouses", there is transport. So "sugar highways" where these brigands that are aphids settle. The rumices also have their young black aphid inflorescences. They are very useful plants in "buffer spaces" around vegetable gardens. With a small sanitary lock!

Yarrow also has inflorescences (groupings of small flowers) very interesting for small foragers, including auxiliaries (parasitoid wasps, etc.) ...

And it's not ugly.

In olive growing, viscous inula (Dittrichia viscosa) is planted which harbors the inula fly (Myopites stylata) which is an intermediate host of parasitoid wasps of the olive fly (Bactrocera oleae). A plant of the most interesting for the biological fight which in addition is melliferous.
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mouche_de_l%27inule

https://www.gerard-weiner.fr/dittrichia ... steraceae/

And in addition, it is anti-cancer:
https://canal.ugr.es/prensa-y-comunicac ... rigenes-2/
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 12/04/21, 16:05

Did67 wrote:
Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:
You see at first glance I would have rather appreciated this ground cover that is the cinquefoil but hey in the place where our strawberries are there are hardly any

Crops under "living canopy" work well with upright plants, which pass overhead and obtain the first solar energy ... Low plants, like strawberries, are fooled!

Well well well....
We find them rather intrusive, ours but we will not quibble : Mrgreen:
We'll see as time goes on
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 12/04/21, 16:12

Did67 wrote:
Ahmed wrote:The cinquefoil as a ground cover (excluding strawberries) does not seem like a good idea to me, because it is one of the most stubborn weeds (hence its name), not like chickweed or Persian speedwell, for example ...

I share this opinion 1%!

I meant that in a "strawberry" system, it is particularly devious, since it functions exactly like the strawberry plant. So where I had the strawberries, I "cleaned" without work: recultivation of annual vegetables under hay, donate the potato (the harvest of which requires a superficial "scraping" which makes it possible to "clean", after that the culture - which I then make more dense when I want to "clean" - has deprived the pissers of light) ...

At home, once the primary cleaning is done (rumex, couch grass, bindweed, dandelion, bulbous buttercup), by extracting the roots - rhizomes, I have 3 troublesome in the collimator: cinquefoil, yarrow, nettles (they do not come from the side) . I removed all of the side aisles, since this is their "back base" (and I don't need much traffic - except for harvesting).

In fact I understand the schism Image
In the places where all this "pesky" stuff grows I cut and you / you tear off
Because by cutting we delay them and give others a head start while keeping the carpet low

I will take a photo in the salads that coexist with the cinquefoil
0 x