Le Potager du Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
pi-r
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: The Kitchen Garden Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

by pi-r » 06/03/21, 17:53

I allow myself to submit to your thoughts / comments my modest analysis in relation to my practice:
1-I have access to straw ad libitum, but its C / N is not terrible compared to hay.
2- I remembered the "ammonia straw" for feeding ruminants and I said to myself that what was valid for animals would be valid for a soil that we want to be alive.
3- always in my concern to do with what I can have locally and for free, I use my urine to balance. preferably I pour directly into my reserve of straw (large bales).

But it remains to determine the ad hoc quantity and not just my pifometer. So I went looking for my notes from the time, and some info on the web. Compiling all of that gives me:
- 3 to 4 Kg of anhydrous ammonia are needed for 100 Kg of straw, in order to obtain a feed with average values ​​UF 0,58 PDIE 55 PDIN 45.
- by comparison the permanent grassland hay has mean values ​​UF 0,66 PDIE 70 PDIN 45. we see that we are a little below but that the C / N ratio has clearly improved compared to straw alone.
- urine contains on average 3 to 6 g of N.
while doing arithmetic I need 30 to 40 gr of anhydrous ammonia per Kg. I don't know its exact N content, but in my memory it is very high. I therefore tell myself that I can go up to 10 liters per kg of straw .... which represents a lot of "pee day"!
fortunately, even if I doubled my UAA this year, the vegetable part of my garden only represents about fifty M2 ...
voili voilou!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 06/03/21, 18:38

Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:
Nice proba course Image

There will be a catch - a kind of scratch - in the video which is being "uploaded" [more than 2 hours ahead!]
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 06/03/21, 18:45

pi-r wrote:
a food with mean values ​​UF 0,58 PDIE 55 PDIN 45.
- by comparison the permanent grassland hay has mean values ​​UF 0,66 PDIE 70 PDIN 45. we see that we are a little below but that the C / N ratio has clearly improved compared to straw alone.
- urine contains on average 3 to 6 g of N.

The option to use poor materials and correct their main flaw is explicitly in my second book ...

In a more comical form, I suggested to the permaculturalists with whom I drank a beer during their 2018 national meetings, to organize a communal service of "free urinators", consisting of the provision of bales of straws so that the public pisses in it, and to recover it as a "hay substitute" ...

It's nice to find someone who speaks PDIN / PDIE and UF ... When I wrote my first book, it was a puzzle to make the link between levels as fodder (therefore PDIN / PDIE and UF), easily found for hay, and N - P - K contents (almost impossible to find!) ... Well, I found (but very little data; I like having samples). But I had to convert units, gross masses, dry masses, content of the raw product, etc ...

I am a little picking up on other "obligations" - my daughter who is waiting for her daddy for some perfo shots etc to fit out her new apartment ... Electricity etc ... Not to mention other "sites" related to PP! Get me back. I will look and give you an opinion ... But the way is good!
1 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 06/03/21, 19:20

Wish about covered

I saw a video recently of a vegetable garden whose paths had been heavily covered with mulch.

It was undoubtedly pretty

But I wondered, given the not insignificant surface covered right up against the boards ... can a nitrogen hunger by "capillarity" be considered?

Illustrations

2021-03-06_191411.jpg

2021-03-06_191401.jpg
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 06/03/21, 19:25

A "border effect" in this sense is quite possible: do not think that the wooden borders on the surface "stop" the networks of fungi underground. They will surely "siphon" a little nitrogen from the flower beds ...

Moreover, even if the photos are too "wide plan", it seems to me that often, the row on the edge seems less high ... whereas it has more light!
0 x
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rajqawee » 06/03/21, 20:50

It is very likely that there is a localized nitrogen hunger on the edges. On the other hand, once it starts to rebalance, it's a pretty nifty solution visually.
Moreover, nothing would prevent first unrolling clippings underneath, and then tipping shavings above. But they would inevitably be digested faster!
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 06/03/21, 21:15

Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:Wish about covered

I saw a video recently of a vegetable garden whose paths had been heavily covered with mulch.

It was undoubtedly pretty

since last year I have systematically covered my alley with hay,
of 1 because I cannot mow it (I no longer have a mower) of 2 because it is not grassy, ​​and so when it rains it's a little muddy so of 3 with the hay I always have dry feet, 4 it does not serve as a reserve for any weeds and 5 if I have something left at the end of the row, well I can transplant it without Pb in the aisle : Mrgreen:
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 06/03/21, 21:25

Did67 wrote:A "border effect" in this sense is quite possible: do not think that the wooden borders on the surface "stop" the networks of fungi underground. They will surely "siphon" a little nitrogen from the flower beds ...

Moreover, even if the photos are too "wide plan", it seems to me that often, the row on the edge seems less high ... whereas it has more light!

Ok thanks for the answers, I had no idea of ​​the possible effect ...
0 x
Julienmos
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Julienmos » 06/03/21, 21:51

Hello
little question about my green manures from last winter:

I had two plots with a rye and vetch mixture.

I had understood that rye resisted the cold well and really began to grow in late winter and spring.

But at home, surprise, the winter frosts have destroyed everything! no more trace of vetch or rye alive.

I wonder if it's not because I had sown my mixture relatively early (at the end of August) and therefore had time to grow well already during the fall ...
0 x
VetusLignum
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by VetusLignum » 07/03/21, 03:05

Did67 wrote:The probability of winning the jackpot at Euromillion is low ... That doesn't mean it never happens.

If you want to win for sure, you'll have to play billions and billions of times.

Or by chance, playing the maid ...

So if you want to create a strain by mutation, you can spend your life and the lives of your children there. Or you can have the chance to stumble upon it, like winning a jackpot.

Not to mention the fact that a mutation is far from always positive - it is usually "rubbish". Many rare diseases (or not for that matter), are the consequences of a mutation - the gene of I do not know which enzyme is damaged and you have celiac disease (true gluten intolerance) ...

Among these "anything", very rarely, is found something great or interesting ... Very rarely does not mean never.

And an interesting case on which an attentive gardener (among the millions of gardeners, breeders, etc.) comes across does not prove that this is not something very rare. There are cases of people who have only played the lotto once in their life - or been offered a ticket - and won the jackpot! They do not prove anything that you win every time - or even that you win easily!

Not all gardeners, among the millions, have had the chance to "come across" a new variety ...

Yet all the studies looking at the genetic diversity of garlic say the same thing: they say there is a great deal of genetic variability, and a great adaptability, hence a very large number of varieties.
Example:

Garlic has a large diploid genome (2n = 2x = 16), of an estimated haploid (1C) size of 15.9 gigabase pairs (Gbp); that is, 32 times larger than rice (Oryza sativa). Garlic is sterile (does not produce fertile botanical seeds by sexual reproduction), asexually propagating by its cloves, despite some progress in recent years to restore garlic fertility (Shemesh-Mayer et al., 2015). Besides, cloves must be reproduced every year, since they cannot be stored for longer periods and then germinated, as happens with standard botanical seeds. Such peculiarity adds extra cost and inconvenience to its maintenance, mainly for large germplasm collections. The peculiar garlic reproduction could lead to low genome diversity, since meiosis is not involved in its clonal reproduction by vegetative propagation (Kamenetsky et al., 2015). Yet, garlic shows a surprisingly high biodiversity, as well as environmental-adaptation capacity and phenotypic plasticity (Volk et al., 2004). All that leads to the large number of garlic varieties or cultivars available (traditionally classified by agromorphological characteristics). The reason for that is not fully understood, suggesting a complex genome (Green, 2001), due to its extremely large size containing many multicopy genes and other duplications, including non-coding sequences and tandem repeats (Arumuganathan and Earle, 1991; Jones et al., 2004; Ovesna et al., 2015), which should be better understood once sequenced.
https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10 ... 00098/full
0 x