Le Potager du Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Rust COHLE
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

Re: The Kitchen Garden Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

by Rust COHLE » 24/02/21, 20:25

Another question, definitely ...

I have at my disposal a substantial quantity of "chestnut skin" that I can recover from a chestnut farmer who has been piling it up outside for several months for the most recent and for several years for the oldest, every year. heap increases from above ...

You see me coming: could this material constitute a passable ground cover in place of the BRF, I do not even ask the question in the place of hay ...

I have not been able to find the C / N of this material so far, but thinking by analogy, even if the comparison is not right, I would say a priori that the C / N must be high, comparable to hulls of nuts such as walnuts or hazelnuts, the nutrients being logically in the fruit and not in the skin or shell ...

There is also the question of the possible "toxicity" because of the tannins, I am not yet sufficiently developed on this subject to worry about it or not, Mr. SELOSSE has made a fascinating book it seems.

But since I have some on hand I wonder as well as for olive pits elsewhere, if you have an idea for that too I am interested ...

What do you want we do not redo, gardener-researcher one day ...
Attachments
5810E0ED-6369-4760-9FF3-EE248DEB5F4B.jpeg
5810E0ED-6369-4760-9FF3-EE248DEB5F4B.jpeg (424.9 Kio) Consulté 1515 fois
BE74515C-955F-4F46-B90C-DB4BFA79E7EE.jpeg
BE74515C-955F-4F46-B90C-DB4BFA79E7EE.jpeg (18.4 KiB) Viewed 1515 times
0 x
"Efficiency is intelligent laziness"
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 24/02/21, 20:33

1 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 24/02/21, 20:54

Normally, the tannins are very soluble in water and therefore, after exposure to rain, there should not be any particular concerns ...
1 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 25/02/21, 08:47

Rust COHLE wrote:Another question, definitely ...

I have at my disposal a substantial quantity of "chestnut skin" that I can recover from a chestnut farmer who has been piling it up outside for several months for the most recent and for several years for the oldest, every year. heap increases from above ...

You see me coming: could this material constitute a passable ground cover in place of the BRF, I do not even ask the question in the place of hay ...

I have not been able to find the C / N of this material so far, but thinking by analogy, even if the comparison is not right, I would say a priori that the C / N must be high, comparable to hulls of nuts such as walnuts or hazelnuts, the nutrients being logically in the fruit and not in the skin or shell ...

There is also the question of the possible "toxicity" because of the tannins, I am not yet sufficiently developed on this subject to worry about it or not, Mr. SELOSSE has made a fascinating book it seems.

But since I have some on hand I wonder as well as for olive pits elsewhere, if you have an idea for that too I am interested ...

What do you want we do not redo, gardener-researcher one day ...

In your place I will cover 2 or 3 M2 of each to try. In the end, as with pine needles, it ends up degrading and enriching life. When possible mix with other materials to limit the impact.
On my plot, this is what I do, I recover everything I find in organic matter.
2 x
Did67

by Did67 » 25/02/21, 13:57

VetusLignum wrote:Beware of pyralids (a kind of herbicide) in hay, manure, or compost!

We had a beautiful testimony here. And we had talked about it. Despite the composting - which raises the question of the dogma which wants that once composted, an OM is classified "organic" ...
2 x
Did67

by Did67 » 25/02/21, 14:05

Rust COHLE wrote:

I would be less pessimistic. To be compared to dead leaves?

[For information, I put the shells of the nuts; they decompose slowly, but there, by chance while transplanting garlic, I came across a shell that was perhaps two or three years old, and it was "crumbly", very thin and pierced ...]

Pay attention to the fact that the speed of decomposition is an important parameter which explains the "nitrogen hunger": to put it simply, a very poor material - let's take a PET bottle and its infinite C / N since no N - which decomposes very very slowly will not create N hunger! For the reason that it decomposes very slowly!

Hunger for N is therefore linked to materials "fairly easy to decompose", but quite poor: straw, dead leaves. So, the x kg that you bring creates a need for 1/10 of x kg of N to form humus (C / N of 10 to simplify) ... A little less in reality, because everything does not happen. do not humify. And if it happens in 4 months, it is considerable ... If it was in 15 years, it would not be felt!

I think your material is a great cover for strawberries, fruit shrubs etc ... Maybe support worms and mineralization with a few handfuls of grass clippings or hay ...
2 x
Did67

by Did67 » 25/02/21, 14:06

Eureka: today, I came across a shelf of pdt Rikea (Primlady) seeds in my garden center downstairs ... (but luckily I knew the equivalence: "Primlady" in very large; and you had to read the label details so that the real name of the variety is mentioned).
0 x
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rajqawee » 25/02/21, 14:56

Hello: well, since I still haven't found any land, I decided that I was going to at least make strawberries on the roof below my apartment (which I access through my windows. complicated to explain but in fact it's going very well, I have long concrete pillars which are covered with galvanized steel, 40cm wide)
That way, I will grow at least a little something (and then I also have an old pot in which I will maybe put a cherry tomato plant) and the children will be happy!
1 x
Rust COHLE
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Rust COHLE » 25/02/21, 22:06

Did67 wrote:
Rust COHLE wrote:

I would be less pessimistic.

Thank you for your feedback and that of Didier in particular, here I am confirmed in my assumptions, I will perhaps put some on my 40cm wide aisles in a layer of at least 10cm between my 75cm wide boards (FORTIER inspiration) covered with hay (Did67 inspiration!), I'm talking about chestnut skins, olive stones, unfortunately I no longer have them ...

Didier if by any chance you have a formula on hand to calculate the mbar for the tensiometer with my soil (57% sands, 32% silts, 11% clays), I am taker.

Regarding potatoes for my part this year I will test three varieties:
- Early: VITABELLA (harvest 2,5 or 3 months later)
- Seasonal: PASSION (harvest 3 or 4 months after planting)
- Late: DELILA (3,5 to 4,5 months later)

In addition to the usually planted SPUNTA.

Didier and the others, on the LaBonneGraine site as you know there is an interesting choice of potatoes, including the RIKEA, after you have to see the prices if it's interesting ...
0 x
"Efficiency is intelligent laziness"