Le Potager du Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Did67

Re: The Kitchen Garden Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

by Did67 » 20/01/21, 12:10

Indeed, the mole is hardly harmful! But the proponents of "golf turf" obviously blame them for the mounds. It is not beautiful. And damage the blade of their mower.

The mole is a predator, which does not attack vegetables - it can cut a root that is in their path ...

Well, the quibbles will quibble: she eats worms! This is undoubtedly what attracts them to the meadows (rich in anecia). Or our vegetable gardens ...

But but but ...

I'm pretty sure they make the tunnels for the mole rats, who take advantage of them. A control of mole rats would therefore imply a control of moles ??? Let's say that I am less devastated than before when I catch one (I do not trap more than 2 or 3 per year, and still not every year). I noticed that this happened when I had, in a given place, eradicated the mole rats - suddenly 2 or 3 days go by where I haven't caught anything; I had the bad habit of leaving the trap if ever there is one that goes through it; alas, several times, it was moles who took possession of their galleries from which they had been freed!

Your earth looks like soil. For my part, I gave up a little to put "molehill" soil, even if it was lumpy, "all ready". She turned out to be very poor, too. And not free from seeds! Having a clayey-silty soil, in addition, very quickly, it became compact after watering my buckets ...
1 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 20/01/21, 13:39

Moles, in fact, have their uses, they aerate and drain the soil, feed on wireworms, larvae, white grubs, slugs no offense to lovers of this heresy that is grass. In addition :
1 x
Biobomb
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Biobomb » 20/01/21, 13:59

Did67 wrote: Control of mole rats would therefore imply control of moles ???

There are or have long been specific traps for moles. We can therefore spare the good and faithful voles : Mrgreen:
Do you want a tof?

For 2 years I have been breeding one or 2 moles which I take great care of around my compost. The soil they reject and which I regularly collect serves as a cover for my seedlings in the open field: they start with unparalleled vitality.
0 x
Rust COHLE
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Rust COHLE » 20/01/21, 14:06

Did67 wrote:Yes, we must define the need and the environment in which we will use.

From the garage to the house on a tarmac road, why not? But watch out for the steps!

In a more "down to earth" environment, I think small tracked carriers would be more efficient and versatile ... I don't know if this already exists in an electric version - but if not, someone will probably replace the motor soon. thermal by an electric motor!

Ah yes, in professional equipment, it exists: https://www.agrieuro.fr/brouettes-cheni ... jcQAvD_BwE

I was thinking of terraced land in particular where it could be useful, or possibly to go and collect wood and branches in the neighboring forest to make BRF, or to transport the small bales of hay.

I imagined the whole for less than 500 € because the tracked models seem to me more expensive and perhaps disproportionate not only price level for the use but also dimensions for the handling, the passage and the storage.
0 x
"Efficiency is intelligent laziness"
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rajqawee » 20/01/21, 14:09

Unfortunately, even at € 500, it stings. You can find old toyota for that price that no longer pass the MOT! A friend did it in Corsica, to move his firewood which he cuts on the hillside on his land. The toy is smashed but he does not care, suddenly.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 20/01/21, 15:03

Biobombe wrote:
There are or have long been specific traps for moles. We can therefore spare the good and faithful voles : Mrgreen:
Do you want a tof?

I have one, with vegetable bait (from Neudorff, I believe; but other brands do). Has not been effective at all for me. And quite annoying to ask (unfortunately, my earth is collapsing so my holes are very irregular).

In short, it is stored somewhere - therefore not stored!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 20/01/21, 15:08

Biobombe wrote:
For 2 years I have been breeding one or 2 moles which I take great care of around my compost. The soil they reject and which I regularly collect serves as a cover for my seedlings in the open field: they start with unparalleled vitality.

I correct myself a little or I specify: I took soil of "molehill", but it is, in my home, very very predominantly mole rats ...

And with my way of doing things, without a heap of compost but with a surface decomposition, they bring me up from the earth taken relatively in depth (the galleries are quite often about twenty cm; they only go up in the vicinity of the molehills and of course, vegetables!). It is therefore very clear, not yet enriched enough in OM - it may come! And therefore not very stable too; the beautiful couscous disappears in three sprinkles ...
0 x
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rajqawee » 20/01/21, 15:12

Did67 wrote:
Biobombe wrote:

I correct myself a little or I specify: I took soil of "molehill", but it is, in my home, very very predominantly mole rats ...

And with my way of doing things, without a heap of compost but with a surface decomposition, they bring me up from the earth taken relatively in depth (the galleries are quite often about twenty cm; they only go up in the vicinity of the molehills and of course, vegetables!). It is therefore very clear, not yet enriched enough in OM - it may come! And therefore not very stable too; the beautiful couscous disappears in three sprinkles ...

So you take commercial soil?

A cagnolle he also speaks of the weight, a priori incomparable between the commercial soil (lighter) than what they were doing. I saw your sowing tables in photos, that must start to become a criterion for you too, right?
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 20/01/21, 15:44

Did67 wrote:Indeed, the mole is hardly harmful! But the proponents of "golf turf" obviously blame them for the mounds. It is not beautiful. And damage the blade of their mower.

The mole is a predator, which does not attack vegetables - it can cut a root that is in their path ...

Well, the quibbles will quibble: she eats worms! This is undoubtedly what attracts them to the meadows (rich in anecia). Or our vegetable gardens ...

But but but ...

I'm pretty sure they make the tunnels for the mole rats, who take advantage of them. A control of mole rats would therefore imply a control of moles ??? Let's say that I am less devastated than before when I catch one (I do not trap more than 2 or 3 per year, and still not every year). I noticed that this happened when I had, in a given place, eradicated the mole rats - suddenly 2 or 3 days go by where I haven't caught anything; I had the bad habit of leaving the trap if ever there is one that goes through it; alas, several times, it was moles who took possession of their galleries from which they had been freed!

Your earth looks like soil. For my part, I gave up a little to put "molehill" soil, even if it was lumpy, "all ready". She turned out to be very poor, too. And not free from seeds! Having a clayey-silty soil, in addition, very quickly, it became compact after watering my buckets ...

I promised myself to look into the bug in detail.

Here is an excerpt from a commentary by a connoisseur it seems but I have by no means verified her statements

The mole makes a vertical hole because its galleries are deep. They visit them regularly in search of worms that may have fallen there. Mole rats make little underground horizontal galleries to move around to protect themselves from predators. As the soil in your coffers is flexible, they don't like to dig too crumbly soil because their surface galleries collapse all the time, which gives them extra work.

Your moles eject the earth along your chests because, there, there is no snow. The taparels cover this place and the plastic warms the earth there, which they like very much. They also have very sensitive thermal sensors and a very keen sense of smell. They do not dig directly under the board because, precisely, there is the board, which forms an obstacle to evacuate the earth. They are blind but capture the light intensity very well. Outside the chests, there is more light than inside. This is why they eject more on that side. In addition, as it is also warmer and more humid there (runoff), they find more worms there which also seek the hot parts to come and eat, especially on a sunny day when behind the plastic it is very good. This is also why they choose the safes that are best exposed to the sun, ie the front ones.

The soil that your moles expel is very beautiful because the soil in your coffers is well nourished with recycled plants. Moles give you the fruit of your labor as a finished product. Therefore, it contains a lot of worms ... and that's what interests them. No worms, no moles. Your chests are real pantries. They also eat slug eggs and even slugs and snails.

As for the land, as I mention, it is not the same around the chests or inside as further in what is still fallow.
And the compaction .... uh how to say given what I had before.
But hey at this point they actually bring out something that looks like potting soil and it's curious when the earth is day (or night) it does not freeze (or has no time).
Often they helped me out when the bags of potting soil outside were blocks of stone (since then we put them in the crawl space just like the mole earth in advance).
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 20/01/21, 15:47

GuyGadeboisLeRetour wrote:Moles, in fact, have their uses, they aerate and drain the soil, feed on wireworms, larvae, white grubs, slugs no offense to lovers of this heresy that is grass. In addition :

Ah yes Olivo I watched his videos before but he no longer posts.
It was not bad what he was doing
0 x