Le Potager du Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: The Kitchen Garden Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

by Doris » 04/12/20, 13:52

Raph49 wrote:Then we will stop there for the amendments, € 370 already spent, we will start by producing enough to reimburse all this on the food bill 8) especially since there are still plans and seedlings to buy.

These are long-term investments, you should not necessarily expect to "fall into these costs" immediately, patience is one of the pillars of this way of gardening. The first year can hold a lot of surprises and mishaps (in any case for me it happened like that), which in the eyes of some "can spoil the party". 2020 was my first full year to do my vegetable garden like that, and I have observed since the end of summer, that everything is linked together, the system "ramps up", but for summer crops it is a bit late : Mrgreen: . However, I was largely rewarded for quality and taste, and that's the main thing for me.
0 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
Rust COHLE
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Rust COHLE » 04/12/20, 15:14

Hello everyone, being new to the forum on the advice of Mr. HELMSTETTER, I wanted to thank you for the amount of knowledge and feedback that I have been able to read so far.

I stumbled across the videos and books of the PP of the PP last spring and I will apply myself to testing the phenoculture in a few days by placing the hay in a layer of 20 cm on my vegetable garden of a hundred of m2 which for about fifteen years was motocultured by my grandfather who incorporated ewe manure and used Bordeaux mixture, then my father for 2 years continued the garden and manure only, and these last two years only used a campaign without any input.

Having cross-checked the information on the said media with other knowledge that I was able to mobilize, I am at this time convinced of the method on the theoretical level in particular of the interest of hay and its multiple services, I could thus to confront myself with the practice in the coming years.

A big thank you, sincere and genuine, addressed to Did67 who, thanks to his books, videos, articles, positions, trials, errors and successes, takes us not on the path of a revealed truth but on the path of a ample breathing to open our minds to questioning and curiosity.

Regarding my first comment in this discussion, it seemed important to tell you what my situation was, in particular by sending you the results of my soil analyzes carried out by LABOSOL last month in order to inform my future interventions.

If by any chance you had the time and the opportunity to give me your advice, I would be grateful to you.

Maybe some questions about these analyzes that have not yet received answers from the lab:

1 °) The grain size indicates a clear “sandy-silty” tendency and it is indicated “sandy-clay”, is this an error?

2 °) It is indicated a saturation of the CEC by calcium while the level of calcium itself is a little low? Are they the same?

3 °) A lower limit zinc level can be explained by what factor?

4 °) There is no upper limit for sulfur, what do you think?

5 °) In the comment it is indicated that there is a risk of excess water while my clay content is only 11%, do you find that normal?

6 °) Am I far from the "freehold" which many speak?

7 °) Having a fairly deep soil, at least more than one meter, I calculated my RU by taking into account 25% of pebbles over 1 m at about 1,26 mm of water / cm of soil, my RFU being therefore about 22,25 l / m2 for a depth of 0,20m by applying the rate of 0,66, while the lab finds 26,27, the difference is not significant but how to explain it?
Do you find that this water reserve is in a good average? Even if I do not have data on the ETP and the ETR of my region in climate that I could qualify as "Mediterranean-mountain".

I heard about a new earthquake in Strasbourg, no damage to the PP of the PP and to the PP?

What can I say except that thank you in advance if only for taking the time to have read so far.

"Efficiency is intelligent laziness"
Attachments
GRANULOMETRY.jpeg
GRANULOMETRIE.jpeg (61.93 KiB) Viewed 1053 times
ELEMENTS.jpeg
ELEMENTS.jpeg (261.97 KiB) Viewed 1053 times
COMMENTS.jpeg
COMMENTS.jpeg (205.95 KiB) Viewed 1053 times
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 04/12/20, 16:25

Raph49 wrote:
Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:Ah ok and what is growing in this soil?

Do you know the geology of the area?

In this area the only crops that are done are vines.
For the geology in detail no I could not say. It's full of stones, when it's wet it's plasticine and in summer cracked concrete.

So I think mulching will do this soil the most good in any case. 8)

I meant when you leave fallow what are the wild herbs that grow?
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 04/12/20, 16:28

Raph49 wrote:e) like humans, soil organisms have trouble working this: do not expect miracles in 6 months; on the other hand, in a few years, that should change, with large rations of "good food"!

If Julienmos goes through this, he will confirm that at the beginning, he did not really believe it!

Thank you for all this information on the management of clay soils. Actually I am working on the "good food" part currently, 2-3 tons of straw and 2m² of BRF for the strawberry / raspberry zone mixed with clippings (which I will have to find, I don't know where look for that - in a recycling center?)

Then we will stop there for the amendments, € 370 already spent, we will start by producing enough to reimburse all this on the food bill 8) especially since there are still plans and seedlings to buy. [/ quote]

In 4 years you must already end up with something not bad at all.
This is the time it took me
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 04/12/20, 16:30

Raph49 wrote:
Did67 wrote:Yes, there you are in the infancy !!! (videos ... Gardening question, there were 5 years of practice / testing behind ...)

Yes there it is, moving from conventional gardening to phenoculture should still help.

I start gardening directly with this method so there are a lot of errors only related to conventional gardening waiting for me around the corner in addition to the specifics of the method itself : Mrgreen:

no on the contrary, you weren't indoctrinated by the "you have to do it like that"
so you have the freedom to try what you want however you want, you are not going to reproduce old wrong patterns
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 04/12/20, 16:56

Here anecdote of the weekend.

My mole friend broke a Brussels sprout for me.
So I replaced it: easy, I pulled the tube and I put another one instead.

Except that by pulling it I also pulled its root which was very quickly freed from the tube.
(Following the video on tube seedlings I had questions about: will the plants develop (won't they die) by being sown in tubes : Mrgreen: )
As we see in the photo ... it had already invested the full soil on about fifteen cm and the cabbage was doing about the same which means that the complete root was already about 25cm ....

20201202_155909.jpg
20201202_155909.jpg (69.31 KB) Viewed times 1020

Another anecdote about the mole, I have the impression that its repeated passages (almost daily in the G5 trunk) indicate to me which spaces are under the boxes which are both hot and provided with worms ... and vice versa since anecic earthworms have somewhat the same requirements ... : Wink:
0 x
pi-r
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by pi-r » 04/12/20, 17:08

sicetaitsimple wrote:Indicate your location in your profile, on the "vegetable" threads it is useful.

I'm not good at using forum... I found for the avatar but not for the location ... : Oops:
can someone show me the manipulation? thank you
0 x
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 04/12/20, 17:29

pi-r wrote:
sicetaitsimple wrote:Indicate your location in your profile, on the "vegetable" threads it is useful.

I'm not good at using forum... I found for the avatar but not for the location ... : Oops:
can someone show me the manipulation? thank you

In user control panel you choose "profile", then "edit profile", in the window that opens, you have the localization option
0 x
Edmond Rostand
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 04/12/20, 17:47

Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:Except that by pulling it I also pulled its root which was very quickly freed from the tube.
(Following the video on tube seedlings I had questions about: will the plants develop (won't they die) by being sown in tubes : Mrgreen: )
As we see in the photo ... it had already invested the full soil on about fifteen cm and the cabbage was doing about the same which means that the complete root was already about 25cm ....

I was one of those who asked you the questions about it, but it was still a little more elaborate than that, I think we are all beyond the stage "can it grow and not die" : Mrgreen:
I have had a few trials of this kind this summer, sometimes out of curiosity, sometimes out of thoughtlessness etc., and I have observed that under improbable conditions the plant grows or makes huge roots, it is after that it is " complicates ": my peas placed under 30 cm of hay crossed the hay and pushed, but beyond the horizon of the hay, it was rickety, the root on the other hand was long and well developed. But I prefer to eat the peas instead of their root. Bucket forgotten in a corner took root well, but the plants did almost nothing, make beautiful roots. My question was rather than by containing the plants, in this example your cabbage ten cm tightly, will that allow normal growth and development with a harvest at the end? That you're right, that's all I wish for you :)
0 x
Edmond Rostand
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 04/12/20, 17:55

Doris wrote:
Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:Except that by pulling it I also pulled its root which was very quickly freed from the tube.

I was one of those who asked you the questions about it, but it was still a little more elaborate than that, I think we are all beyond the stage "can it grow and not die" : Mrgreen:
I have had a few trials of this kind this summer, sometimes out of curiosity, sometimes out of thoughtlessness etc., and I have observed that under improbable conditions the plant grows or makes huge roots, it is after that it is " complicates ": my peas placed under 30 cm of hay crossed the hay and pushed, but beyond the horizon of the hay, it was rickety, the root on the other hand was long and well developed. But I prefer to eat the peas instead of their root. Bucket forgotten in a corner took root well, but the plants did almost nothing, make beautiful roots. My question was rather than by containing the plants, in this example your cabbage ten cm tightly, will that allow normal growth and development with a harvest at the end? That you're right, that's all I wish for you :)

Ah I was referring to YT actually, not at all forum
I didn't remember your remark.

In fact the answer I don't have.
As often I don't know.
For the moment it grows correctly as much as the cold allows it because it was -10.6 during the night from Wednesday to Thursday then 1 this night with a little snow

You see, I don't even remember anymore but it seems to me that a good part of the tomatoes of this season come from tubes, certainly not from sowing but from transplanting, but transplanting at the plantlet level so it's the same and the growth has been consistent ...
I will check.

But it is true that it is to be watched over time.
No idea if it can play or not in the development
0 x