Le Potager du Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: The Kitchen Garden Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 03/12/20, 18:58

Raph49 wrote:It is especially the decompaction of the soil that interests me this winter, my soil is pure potter's clay, impossible to grow anything inside (even weeds do not grow because the soil is sterile, it is almost cement ...)

My area is known to be the worst land in the whole region.

Is there really nothing growing at all?
0 x
pi-r
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by pi-r » 03/12/20, 19:31

Did67 wrote:... [your nickname immediately made me think: "are you squared?"]

:D well done !
you are the first to have had this presence of mind, although I have been using this nickname for years on the forum of "veileux" in which I participate.
already a teenager I used this "signature" in relation to homophony with my first name and the famous formula ...

edit: you were worried in your last video about the presence of ad clipping from YT. Personally, I see your videos without ads and I have no special blocking protection. I "navigate" on the web with firefox. only precaution I am permanently in "private navigation" ... voili voilou
0 x
Raph49
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Raph49 » 03/12/20, 22:07

Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:Is there really nothing growing at all?

Yes, but to dig a hole there is the risk of breaking the excavator's hydraulic system. : Wink:

Other than that the soil is fertile, but I have to make it workable.
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 03/12/20, 22:21

Raph49 wrote:
Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:Is there really nothing growing at all?

Yes, but to dig a hole there is the risk of breaking the excavator's hydraulic system. : Wink:

Other than that the soil is fertile, but I have to make it workable.

Ah ok and what is growing in this soil?

Do you know the geology of the area?
0 x
Raph49
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Raph49 » 03/12/20, 22:36

Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:Ah ok and what is growing in this soil?

Do you know the geology of the area?

In this area the only crops that are done are vines.
For the geology in detail no I could not say. It's full of stones, when it's wet it's plasticine and in summer cracked concrete.

So I think mulching will do this soil the most good in any case. 8)
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 03/12/20, 22:46

Indicate your location in your profile, on the "vegetable" threads it is useful.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 04/12/20, 09:55

Raph49 wrote:
In this area the only crops that are done are vines.
For the geology in detail no I could not say. It's full of stones, when it's wet it's plasticine and in summer cracked concrete.

So I think mulching will do this soil the most good in any case. 8)

So a clayey to very clayey soil.

3 or 4 "details" which are not:

a) beware of water stagnation if the land does not have a slight slope; in this case, "bend" the boards (without digging them in the middle)

b) never try to work the soil which is still wet; it breaks what little structure there is; clay bricks are made by compacting damp earth (therefore malleable); walk on planks: each step left in spring will become a "brick" in summer

c) these are soils that take a long time to warm up: give up all speed races with other gardeners ...

d) contrary to a well-established belief, they certainly retain a lot of water, but unfortunately retain it too strongly; their "RU" (useful water reserve) is average (better than sands, but much worse than silts!); therefore do not rule out drought years having to water!

e) like humans, soil organisms have trouble working this: do not expect miracles in 6 months; on the other hand, in a few years, that should change, with large rations of "good food"!

If Julienmos goes through this, he will confirm that at the beginning, he did not really believe it!
1 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 04/12/20, 13:01

Not so much to do with gardening, but it is an interesting development.
Screenshot_2020-12-04-12-59-28-50.jpg
Screenshot_2020-12-04-12-59-28-50.jpg (332.1 KiB) Viewed 1188 times
0 x
Raph49
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Raph49 » 04/12/20, 13:27

sicetaitsimple wrote:Indicate your location in your profile, on the "vegetable" threads it is useful.

There it's done.
0 x
Raph49
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Raph49 » 04/12/20, 13:33

Did67 wrote:So a clayey to very clayey soil.

3 or 4 "details" which are not:

a) beware of water stagnation if the land does not have a slight slope; in this case, "bend" the boards (without digging them in the middle)

b) never try to work the soil which is still wet; it breaks what little structure there is; clay bricks are made by compacting damp earth (therefore malleable); walk on planks: each step left in spring will become a "brick" in summer

c) these are soils that take a long time to warm up: give up all speed races with other gardeners ...

d) contrary to a well-established belief, they certainly retain a lot of water, but unfortunately retain it too strongly; their "RU" (useful water reserve) is average (better than sands, but much worse than silts!); therefore do not rule out drought years having to water!

e) like humans, soil organisms have trouble working this: do not expect miracles in 6 months; on the other hand, in a few years, that should change, with large rations of "good food"!

If Julienmos goes through this, he will confirm that at the beginning, he did not really believe it!

Thank you for all this information on the management of clay soils. Actually I am working on the "good food" part currently, 2-3 tons of straw and 2m² of BRF for the strawberry / raspberry zone mixed with clippings (which I will have to find, I don't know where look for that - in a recycling center?)

Then we will stop there for the amendments, € 370 already spent, we will start by producing enough to reimburse all this on the food bill 8) especially since there are still plans and seedlings to buy.
0 x