Le Potager du Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Did67

Re: The Kitchen Garden Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

by Did67 » 03/12/20, 14:59

Yes, there you are in the infancy !!! (videos ... Gardening question, there were 5 years of practice / testing behind ...)
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 03/12/20, 15:13

Raph49 wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:in what he says he talks about compacted hay which he apparently left compacted, for me the problem is there, I got my straw and hay delivery from last year, I installed the straw very quickly and I left the hay bales outside, and very quickly with the rains, they got wet and hay grew on them

the hay compacted in great thickness plays the role of a growing medium, and it grows, by decompacting (this is what I do systematically now), I never have them problem in addition the decompacting is very useful when that you plant onions, shallots, potatoes, and that you put the hay just after, compacted it crosses with difficulty especially for onions, the potatoes go around and come out at the joints of the plates

Yes, I'm going to put it unpacked now, and avoid gorging it with water by squeezing it with the boots to compact it even more like I had done, what an idiot I was : Oops:

Finally, the main thing is to learn from your mistakes.

I tap on it with the fork afterwards to compact it a bit, and the following rains recompact everything again but in a diffuse mesh which allows the plants which want to grow through it, but diffuse enough to dry on the surface and not allow the seeds to rise hay
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 03/12/20, 16:17

Raph49 wrote:

Indeed ... which could be quite simple!

However :

a) we must already admit them!

b) you must not "throw everything away" to project yourself into another belief, just as miraculous (and disappointing) ...

c) and then observe / reflect ...
2 x
Uncle Buzz
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Uncle Buzz » 03/12/20, 18:04

Did67 wrote:From the first "window" of good weather, you have to lift and turn the hay as if it were withered, with a fork. The seedlings, pulled up, wither and die.

What is the interest at this time in controlling these weeds? on the contrary, it seemed to me that a little living cover brought only good, as long as it does not come to compete with our vegetables, at the moment there is not much to fear right?

In the spring I would understand, but in the fall, others sow on purpose so that biomass grows, why should we have to fight against it?
0 x
Raph49
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Raph49 » 03/12/20, 18:12

Uncle Buzz wrote:
Did67 wrote:From the first "window" of good weather, you have to lift and turn the hay as if it were withered, with a fork. The seedlings, pulled up, wither and die.

What is the interest at this time in controlling these weeds? on the contrary, it seemed to me that a little living cover brought only good, as long as it does not come to compete with our vegetables, at the moment there is not much to fear right?

In the spring I would understand, but in the fall, others sow on purpose so that biomass grows, why should we have to fight against it?

It is especially the decompaction of the soil that interests me this winter, my soil is pure potter's clay, impossible to grow anything inside (even weeds do not grow because the soil is sterile, it is almost cement ...)

My area is known to be the worst land in the whole region.
Last edited by Raph49 the 03 / 12 / 20, 18: 20, 1 edited once.
0 x
Raph49
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Raph49 » 03/12/20, 18:18

Moindreffor wrote:I tap on it with the fork afterwards to compact it a bit, and the following rains recompact everything again but in a diffuse mesh which allows the plants which want to grow through it, but diffuse enough to dry on the surface and not allow the seeds to rise hay

Yes that's exactly what I just did on the ground that was the most affected, I unpacked the bales with the hay fork, put about 40 centimeters unpacked, then I tapped with the flat of the fork to tamp lightly with the idea also to let the rain finish the tamping.

We will see if the problem persists with this method.
0 x
Raph49
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Raph49 » 03/12/20, 18:20

Did67 wrote:Yes, there you are in the infancy !!! (videos ... Gardening question, there were 5 years of practice / testing behind ...)

Yes there it is, moving from conventional gardening to phenoculture should still help.

I start gardening directly with this method so there are a lot of errors only related to conventional gardening waiting for me around the corner in addition to the specifics of the method itself : Mrgreen:
0 x
VetusLignum
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by VetusLignum » 03/12/20, 18:33

Raph49 wrote:
Did67 wrote:I was negligent and not insistent enough on the fact that the "PP" is not a recipe, but a "scheme of reflection", to appropriate and adapt to its climate, its soil ...

I insisted a little more on this point in the second book, when I realized how much I was "copied as" (and therefore, that it could not work - there is only in one "artificialized" agriculture, with "controlled factors" that one can follow a recipe; in a natural vegetable garden based on cooperation with living things, one must ... cooperate with one's living!). It was a bit late ...

Thank you for this precious information Didier, indeed I will adapt the technique to my parameters, but as I have never cultivated anything until now I will probably make a series of errors.

So I will try to mulch at the beginning or the end of winter and avoid the end of summer for germinations.

And return it all to the hay fork to prevent it from taking root.

The guy who delivers the hay to me came back today to deliver more and he seemed to be impressed with the organic matter generated by his delivery this fall. : Cheesy:

For my part, I would have put a layer of cardboard under the hay, in order to eliminate the perennials.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 03/12/20, 18:36

Uncle Buzz wrote:

Thank you!

1) I respond to the fear of the person who is starting out: difficult to start with the most difficult, which is the cultivation under cover alive ...

2) Grasses, depending on the species, and there are a lot of them, can become "semi-suckers", forming perennial tufts sufficient to then lift the hay and not be controlled - even if of course, j 've "watched" meadows. So this is not the easiest species to do "undercover" ...

But otherwise, you're right!

For my part, I currently have such a "grass seedling", which I let live ...
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 03/12/20, 18:55

Raph49 wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:in what he says he talks about compacted hay which he apparently left compacted, for me the problem is there, I got my straw and hay delivery from last year, I installed the straw very quickly and I left the hay bales outside, and very quickly with the rains, they got wet and hay grew on them

the hay compacted in great thickness plays the role of a growing medium, and it grows, by decompacting (this is what I do systematically now), I never have them problem in addition the decompacting is very useful when that you plant onions, shallots, potatoes, and that you put the hay just after, compacted it crosses with difficulty especially for onions, the potatoes go around and come out at the joints of the plates

Yes, I'm going to put it unpacked now, and avoid gorging it with water by squeezing it with the boots to compact it even more like I had done, what an idiot I was : Oops:

I had also had shoots on boots but it was not folichon in terms of vigor.

It all depends on the thickness.
If the grasses that grow on the hay or from it only have hay to grow in my opinion it will not go far

In the case of hay deposited on the ground it is different, the ground is closer for the roots of the weeds of the hay
This is what we should possibly be wary of.
Not to bring a new reserve of seeds imported into the hay
0 x