Le Potager du Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: The Kitchen Garden Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 01/12/20, 11:50

The results of the frost at -10 (-9.6) on Saturday, November 21, which was part of a series that had started the day before and which continued until 26: -7.3, -9.6, -8.3, -7.9 , -7.4, -8.6, -6.1
Before a small lull -4.7, -2.5, -5 then again -7.4 on the 30th

The deaths are disparate between living and dead eggplants and standing tomatoes all affected or recoveries of the stems or cuttings either affected or intact and the same for seedlings depending on the box in which they had been transplanted.

For the feet (for some it's their second gel) remains to be seen if they are really dead
To be continued

0 x
cristo33
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by cristo33 » 01/12/20, 15:08

[quote = "Did67"] For those who are a bit interested in "capitalism in the activities that make sense" ...
I am polluting this site a little, where many of you pass, so that we do not remain naive - but if there is a big debate, I will propose to create another thread ...

Indeed it deserves developments. Because we can be "green" and capitalist ... And the true defenders of nature, of our living and working conditions, can they be on the side of capitalism? This is already a launch!
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 01/12/20, 20:50

cristo33 wrote:Indeed it deserves developments. Because we can be "green" and capitalist ... And the true defenders of nature, of our living and working conditions, can they be on the side of capitalism? This is already a launch!

the error is to believe that everything is binary, we know it here, everything is never all white or all black, you start from a principle of opposition, the true defenders of nature, of our living conditions and work can they be on the side of capitalism? as soon as you oppose you are in error, as soon as you see anti in front of something you know that there is wrong path, because if a system were perfect it would impose itself naturally and would make all the others disappear, the worst first therefore, the more the trouble of being anti something because this something would no longer exist

I bought the slug suppressant last year, the package is still new, because my system has balanced and no longer needs anti
I bought anti mildew I changed the cultivation method and no longer need anti mildew again an unopened package
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 02/12/20, 01:43

Some thoughts or questions after watching the last video

Vegetables can resist to a point ...
I wonder if a vegetable that can resist (for example) -2 will resist several -2 in a row?

Ah hard soil has a hard life: repeat over and over again that plants make their life there just as in loose soil, as you say what matters is that the soil is alive.
And anyway the more he lives and the more he becomes relaxed without you being able to do anything about it and especially without you doing anything.

The fada "trépigne" (historical expression) I love: it's going to talk

We can see what we like to see: excellent
And to make ends meet with the hard / soft soil: we produce the environment that suits us more than crops

In these cold weather and outdoors, could tarpaulin not allow the continuation of bacterial activity on the surface or at least bring this bacterial activity “up” as close as possible to the surface?
And if I trust the potatoes kept on the ground but under the hay and which do not freeze by -10 ... except for a tarpaulin, can't the hay constitute this covering and allow the continuation of this activity of surface even in cold weather?

By always relying on the potatoes that, once again this year we keep on site under the hay, would it not (disregarding predators) be possible to do the same with raves?
0 x
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rajqawee » 02/12/20, 09:51

Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:Some thoughts or questions after watching the last video

Vegetables can resist to a point ...
I wonder if a vegetable that can resist (for example) -2 will resist several -2 in a row?

Ah hard soil has a hard life: repeat over and over again that plants make their life there just as in loose soil, as you say what matters is that the soil is alive.
And anyway the more he lives and the more he becomes relaxed without you being able to do anything about it and especially without you doing anything.

The fada "trépigne" (historical expression) I love: it's going to talk

We can see what we like to see: excellent
And to make ends meet with the hard / soft soil: we produce the environment that suits us more than crops

In these cold weather and outdoors, could tarpaulin not allow the continuation of bacterial activity on the surface or at least bring this bacterial activity “up” as close as possible to the surface?
And if I trust the potatoes kept on the ground but under the hay and which do not freeze by -10 ... except for a tarpaulin, can't the hay constitute this covering and allow the continuation of this activity of surface even in cold weather?

By always relying on the potatoes that, once again this year we keep on site under the hay, would it not (disregarding predators) be possible to do the same with raves?

I intervene because these are notions that I often handle, but in climbing / mountaineering :D It must be a minimum transposable in agriculture! We are talking about surface gel and deep gel.
Surface freeze = only the first mm are frozen
Deep frost = the frost is long and strong enough for the temperature to drop below 0 for several cm (of rock!)

Clearly, when it freezes at -2 ° C overnight, it's just surface freezing. Especially since the biological activity will regulate the temperature. I have already noticed, at altitude, that my breathing was steaming in the "open air" but no longer under a small piece of forest. I deduced that in the forest, it was hotter, yet in the same place and at the same altitude.
I would tend to say that if the soil can warm up during the day, most plants will get out of it because the soil will never actually drop below 0. On the other hand, if the temperature does not take off again during the day, there, the ground itself ends up freezing, and suddenly the entire regulation system falls flat.
The tarpaulin helps if there is sunlight, enough regardless of the temperature (it feels like a squeeze).
Hay adds a layer of insulation, of thermal buffer: it will smooth the temperature variations (in both directions).

Voilou, some thoughts.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 02/12/20, 10:02

1) Yes, repeated colds, no problem - and even if it is over the same period, the cold hardens them: they concentrate their juices. So over the same period, resistance increases.
Namely however, on the other hand, age and growth decreases their resistance. So a small plant that has endured -7 ° C these days will be degummed by -5 ° C in February when it grows up.
2) Note that the "stampede" was filmed in August, I don't think we had talked about it before. It is a "convergence" of ideas ...
3) We see what we like to see ... Or what we believe (you forgot!). And supposed to introduce a video that I was going to do (at the time) on the objectification of the tests (with witnesses and "all other things being equal" ...). It will come.
4) In our climates, we still pass, over several cm (probably two or three tens of cm), the bar of + 10 ° C and we can consider that the bacteria are in the fridge ... The fungi resist better. ..
5) Yes, a thick layer of "cover" (dead leaves, hay, etc.) could protect a lot of vegetables, raves, etc. It is a "silo on the whole surface". Rodents close !!! So at home, I exclude. Apart from my "trials" (so I always leave a few plants to see how they behave!).
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 02/12/20, 10:10

Rajqawee wrote:I intervene because these are notions that I often handle, but in climbing / mountaineering :D It must be a minimum transposable in agriculture! We are talking about surface gel and deep gel.
Surface freeze = only the first mm are frozen
Deep frost = the frost is long and strong enough for the temperature to drop below 0 for several cm (of rock!)

Clearly, when it freezes at -2 ° C overnight, it's just surface freezing. Especially since the biological activity will regulate the temperature. I have already noticed, at altitude, that my breathing was steaming in the "open air" but no longer under a small piece of forest. I deduced that in the forest, it was hotter, yet in the same place and at the same altitude.
I would tend to say that if the soil can warm up during the day, most plants will get out of it because the soil will never actually drop below 0. On the other hand, if the temperature does not take off again during the day, there, the ground itself ends up freezing, and suddenly the entire regulation system falls flat.
The tarpaulin helps if there is sunlight, enough regardless of the temperature (it feels like a squeeze).
Hay adds a layer of insulation, of thermal buffer: it will smooth the temperature variations (in both directions).

Voilou, some thoughts.

You have to confront this with 3 very different notions:

a) the resistance of vegetables: from when they "burst" (burst, etc ...) [this is called "hardiness"]

b) the growth of vegetables: from when they no longer grow [it is zero vegetation, much higher]

c) there, it was a question of the biological activity of the soil, in particular nitrification, which, during this period, one can assimilate to a risk of pollution ... Fortunately, nature is damn good (it is not the first time I say it!): the bacteria are in the fridge with much higher ground temperatures (nitrification is slowed down from + 14 ° C; we can say that it stops around + 10 ° C)

So basically, a "cold enough" soil avoids nitrification (from + 14 ° C). Leaching of nitrates is limited as long as the temperatures do not drop below the vegetation zero (say 5 to 6 °) - the plants (vegetables or green manure) to grow and consume ... Below, the growth stops and nitrification is blocked. Eureka.

Note also that the temperature gradient goes from top to bottom. Exactly as the nitrifiable MO contents (if we do not bury them!). Consistent, right ???
0 x
Raph49
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Raph49 » 02/12/20, 14:07

Hello everyone.

This year I started to grow crops (I live in Maine et Loire), and I therefore spread 2.5 tons of hay on approximately 200m² of vegetable garden.

The problem is that this hay grows back on itself in thick clumps and ends up taking root even through 10 centimeters of packed hay.

In the end, instead of pulling weeds, I pull up hay ...

We can see here from afar what is happening on a square, I had one which ended up entirely covered with green hay but I do not have a photo because I have already torn off.

Below 3 closer photos

If you have any idea what this hay grows back on itself? I don't think that the problem is the insufficient thickness, I still put 10cm packed and 2.5 tons in total : Shock:

What if someone can identify this mushroom for me too? I do not know him.

Thank you in advance :)
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/12/20, 14:28

Raph49 wrote:Hello everyone.

This year I started to grow crops (I live in Maine et Loire), and I therefore spread 2.5 tons of hay on approximately 200m² of vegetable garden.

The problem is that this hay grows back on itself in thick clumps and ends up taking root even through 10 centimeters of packed hay.

In the end, instead of pulling weeds, I pull up hay ...

Welcome here but please use the image host of the forum... "Attachments" tab under the writing window ...

Otherwise your images will sooner or later be out of order ...
0 x
Raph49
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Raph49 » 02/12/20, 14:44

Ok I looked for the tab in question I had not found it is too far from below in my opinion.

I uploaded the photos using the web host forum 8)

1.jpg
1.jpg (350.58 KB) Viewed times 1350

2.jpg
2.jpg (399.1 KB) Viewed times 1350

3.jpg
3.jpg (349.85 KB) Viewed times 1350

4.jpg
4.jpg (356.08 KB) Viewed times 1350

5.jpg
5.jpg (303.34 KB) Viewed times 1350
1 x