Le Potager du Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Grelinette
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Grelinette » 27/05/14, 13:42

I bring a small beginning of answer to the question:
"But why do we garden on permaculture mounds? ..."

1) A mound is added soil, and on poor soil, this soil retains all its fertility. Moreover, in some cases, forming the mounds with branches that are covered with soil allows for a well-ventilated soil and which enriches itself with the decomposition of the branches.

2) It is chard like cabbage, but with a mound, the ground is less low, so we stoop less to pick up! : Mrgreen:

3) a mound makes it possible to arrange the plantations according to their need for water: at the top of the mound the plants which need little water (water flows at the bottom of the mound), at the bottom those which are most needed.
This is also one of the bases of permaculture: placing the plants according to specific criteria: need for water, proximity to a complementary plant, etc.

Not all read, but there are surely other reasons here:
http://permaculture-ra.over-blog.com/ar ... 51514.html
0 x
Project of the horse-drawn-hybrid - The project econology
"The search for progress does not exclude the love of tradition"
Did67

by Did67 » 27/05/14, 14:07

Janic wrote:
There remains a Judeo-Christian connotation
another image of Epinal, we are no longer in the middle ages!

Let me, at least here, express an opinion.

I think, and therefore I rewrite it, that part of our approaches to problems, even purely technical in appearance, are inspired by a background of Judeo-Christian culture. In the sense: "everything is earned", "you have to take the trouble", "you have nothing for nothing", "to work and to take the trouble" ....

Picking a fruit that has fallen from the sky and saying "super" is not strictly our collective mentality.

This is the only way I understand why everyone finds it normal to go to so much trouble to obtain a result that I find very poor (I did not write "zero").

That said, I find it normal that an opinion contrary to mine is expressed.

I would like to be treated in such a peremptory way, with judgments (not the expression of an opinion): "Another image of Epinal ...".

Thank you Sir, it goes without saying that I am very naive. That I was born in the last rain. That I am stupidly without thinking the images of Epinal. It is obvious that my reasoning is based on "one says" (image of Epinal).

Thank you for having enlightened me on my great naivety by the depth of .... your judgments!

Let me just ask for your high kindness a few photos of your achievements supporting my error?
Last edited by Did67 the 03 / 10 / 15, 22: 26, 2 edited once.
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 27/05/14, 14:12

Forhorse wrote:(we use it to mulch the PdT)

We will try to read this in more detail and push the concept a little in our garden.

1) For the PdT, it is already a "deviant" method. I think if you continue, is it working ???

The ground cover method still works; the difficulty is to maintain this coverage! As soon as we "open", it's the germination festival. So we must be careful never to open the space! This is what is difficult. In particular, as we have seen, for seedlings! Planting, transplanting, etc ... it's easy.

2) My testimony is intended to be a reflection. An incentive. Not a "method to be stupidly applied as is".

You can, like me, start with a wedge (this was the BRF test that I will report on, which I did in 2013). This led me to "double the stake" at the end of the summer, in preparation for the current campaign, following the discovery of the Wenz farm in Germany.
Last edited by Did67 the 27 / 05 / 14, 14: 31, 1 edited once.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 27/05/14, 14:19

Grelinette wrote:I bring a small beginning of answer to the question:
"But why do we garden on permaculture mounds? ..."

Permaculture is a method.

Who is not without dogmas!

For me, it has been eliminated by the work involved in the creation, and in part the maintenance of the mounds. And subsequently, "patchwork" "gardening". As I wrote, the "line", even when it is not straight / straight, has a few advantages that I am exploiting. Like the rotation (on my 3 "zones").

But I strongly encourage those who "branch": it is, despite the constraints, a huge leap compared to "classic" gardening.

It is even a kind of perfection in "natural" gardening. At the cost of efforts which I want to dispense with. I prick "elements" in this method.

You will undoubtedly understand it: I want, when I almost died, to garden without great efforts and by doing only my way! Follow a "method" pisses me off!
Last edited by Did67 the 03 / 10 / 15, 22: 28, 1 edited once.
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 27/05/14, 14:25

Janic wrote:
Colorado beetles are useful "pests" because they attack delicate plants, but not healthy plants. Their absence is therefore a good indicator of quality (it suffices to plant fragile seeds a little further away or in a neighbor's to see the difference) which is what justifies organic farming compared to chemistry.

Frankly, you have grown a lot of PdT ???

I practiced "organic". I saw some years my culture threatened. And the Colorado beetles did not stop at such a foot.

I know farmers certified "Demeter" (therefore in "biodynamics") who in some years have had serious problems.

To tell the truth, I also think that the method helps to limit the risk.

Nevertheless, I do not affirm something observed only once, a particular year (after a very very cold winter, I remind you). Elementary caution.
0 x
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 27/05/14, 16:15

Did67 wrote:
Forhorse wrote:(we use it to mulch the PdT)

We will try to read this in more detail and push the concept a little in our garden.

1) For the PdT, it is already a "deviant" method. I think if you continue, is it working ???

To tell the truth, we practiced that last year, the harvest was not worse or better than other years, on the other hand we had much less weeds, so there is a gain in terms of effort to provide.
The problem is that the mulch provides the cottage in addition to the cover for field mice and other rodents, so do not delay in harvesting otherwise everything will be spoiled by said rodents.

We mulch just after we hit the ground.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 27/05/14, 16:26

Forhorse wrote:
The problem is that the mulch provides the cottage in addition to the cover for field mice and other rodents, so do not delay in harvesting otherwise everything will be spoiled by said rodents.

This is the problem I encounter!

I will persevere to assess the damage, according to the cultures. As written above, I am ready to concede a third to them, to increase my surfaces to compensate - seeing that I do not make great efforts.

(Pdt, I didn't do any this year; occupies too much space in my rotation; I have another resource: I recycle "organic" pdt sorting waste that would go into the methaniser! In short, I steal )

I want to know if there will be a "natural balance", or if little by little they will invade everything, control everything and devastate everything!

My philosophy of not giving a fuck goes hand in hand with "being zen". You have to accept a little upheaval in your garden.

For information, I had for example "tolerated" 5 feet of unharvested Brussels sprouts, mounted in bloom. I had left to tear them off "stupidly without thinking", in short mechanically, when I saw that they were buzzing above my head! It was among the 1st flowers this spring in my neighborhood. I left them to reinvigorate bees and bumblebees.

The neighbor thought it was a mess. Oh, he didn't say it like that: "What are the yellow flowers that you have in your garden ???"
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 27/05/14, 16:28

Forhorse wrote:
We mulch just after we hit the ground.

If you are curious, next year, on 4 m², you put your PdT on the bare ground and you cover with 20 cm of straw. Without having done anything.

And we talk again ???

Maybe like me, you will wonder who invented all these stories of hoeing, buttering, etc ...

(except, of course, mechanical harvesting with the harvester?).
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 27/05/14, 18:37

Frankly, you have grown a lot of PdT ???
I eat too little to need to grow it on a small area. I rely on testimonials concerning AB and biodynamics. Only often this comes from a lack of seed selection (use non-hardy varieties grown on land with different ph, etc. see non-organic land in conversion,)
I do not want to try the failures noted (this is how we progress) so we must look where the shoe pinches as in human medicine.

I practiced "organic". I saw some years my culture threatened. And the Colorado beetles did not stop at such a foot.
I know farmers certified "Demeter" (therefore in "biodynamics") who in some years have had serious problems.

it is also the difficulty of comparing professional gardening and gardening or, as with snails, slugs, regular collection also serves to limit a possible invasion.

To tell the truth, I also think that the method helps to limit the risk.
Fortunately, if not give up the ORGANIC.

Nevertheless, I do not affirm something observed only once, a particular year (after a very very cold winter, I remind you). Elementary caution.
The more the soil is rebalanced, the more the seeds used will be healthy and adapted to the soil, there is no reason why it should not work better!
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 27/05/14, 19:06

In the past, in my country which is adjacent to a town, the peasants practiced a mixed farming associated with market gardening in the open; all the vegetables were grown on mounds: it was a necessity, because, in addition to obtaining earlier harvests (earth warming up faster), the hollow of the ridges provided a benchmark for the work horse.

Regarding the issue of Colorado potato beetles, potatoes grown under brf are not attacked, this fact is well documented by numerous observations. In the same garden, those who experienced for the first time a square of potatoes under brf and continued the bulk of their production in a classic way, saw the first unscathed and the second attacked as usual.

Potatoes under mulch are Claude Bourguignon who had observed it in South America.
I followed this method, by adapting it to the brf, several years ago: I had been able to dispose of a fairly large quantity of ground material and put the tubers on the ground; I had some greening concerns because you need a sufficient thickness of cover and it is difficult to reline the beds when the stems and leaves of the potatoes are well developed.
Otherwise, no worries, the plants live their lives and install their tubers quite properly. 8)
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."