Le Potager du Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Julienmos
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: The Kitchen Garden Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

by Julienmos » 14/08/20, 16:49

to Didier, thank you for this long answer (which I haven't read yet), but quickly make a quick question, I'm going to put some (bought) radicchio plants, you know this salad?
I read that this is another name for the "red of Verona" ... except that the latter is harvested from January to March, while I was told in store that the radicchio is harvested in Nov - Dec ?
there is also the "red of Treviso", is it the same?
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 14/08/20, 17:53

Julienmos wrote:to Didier, thank you for this long answer (which I haven't read yet), but quickly make a quick question, I'm going to put some (bought) radicchio plants, you know this salad?
I read that this is another name for the "red of Verona" ... except that the latter is harvested from January to March, while I was told in store that the radicchio is harvested in Nov - Dec ?

If I understood correctly what I read, it is the same variety, but in Italy there are 4 protected designations of origin (including Verona and Treviso). For the rest (harvest date), no idea in our climates.
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 15/08/20, 00:27

Doris wrote:
Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:BUT the first blackberry should be for September just before the first frost is to say the delay ..

This is where we will see what the coffers will give and whether the fall will be productive or not.

So I strongly recommend the Glacier

Knowing me Image will have to remind me in January 2021 .... Image
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 15/08/20, 06:22

You're exaggerating: a Glacier in the Alps! What could be more natural - well, in the old days ... Because they melt like ice cubes in a whiskey (don't look for the Whiskey variety!).
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 15/08/20, 15:37

A new online video, which lays down some theoretical bases on the question of water in the soil and takes stock of "global warming".

I filmed it (shot in my office) after taking pictures in the vegetable garden, in the middle of a heatwave, which I still have to "edit" - but without the intro, the images might be incomprehensible despite the comments . It seemed to me that some "software" was needed.

It will also allow me to "gauge" the receptivity of such more "spoken" videos - I always have in mind to deal with soil issues, in a series of videos. But if it's to get drunk or so they won't be watched ... I test first

About "test first", this joke about the former USSR. From the time of Brezhnew. Who had just learned that Giscard was going to meet the inhabitants on television. Unaware that he was not very popular, by dint of being applauded by millions of people at each exit, he asks his staff to organize such a meeting ... Panic ... We procrastinate ... But the old man is keen on it and revives ... When he is threatening and some fear finding himself in the gulag, it becomes urgent to have an idea! Eureka, cried the Benjamin Griveau on duty: we are going to take him to the steppes of Kazakhstan, 0,5 inhabitants per km² ... We will drive for a few hours, and we will say to the old man: "no luck, we are not have not met a resident, we are going back to the Kremlin! "... As soon as said. As soon as done.

And they roll, they roll, they roll ... We turn around, when suddenly, Brezhnew sees a tiny dot in the distance, a shepherd ... He orders the driver to come closer, then catches him on foot. And introduces himself: "Here, I am the first secretary of the Communist Party of the USSR, I am at your service ... If you have a question, I will be happy to answer you ..."

Of course, the shepherd might be just a shepherd, he knew perfectly well the nature of the diet and refrained from asking a question "Oh no, comrade, you know here, with the sheep, I have no time to ask myself a lot of questions..."

And he saw that Brezhnew was very upset. Very much upset, which is not a good sign. So he made an effort, and asked a question sufficiently vague not to risk anything: "Well, if, Comrade Brezhnew, there is indeed a question which torments me when I am my herd, I have beua refélchir, I cannot find the answer. answer, you know, I didn't study: was communism invented by scientists or literary people? "

And Brezhnew to write the history of communism at length, from Marx, philosopher, sociologist, writer, etc ... to Lenin, lawyer after studies of literature, via Engels, philosopher ... And to conclude that communism has was invented by literary people!

Happy with his lesson, Brezhnew was walking back to his car when the shepherd was heard grumbling, "That's what I thought. If it had been scientists, they would have tried with rats first!"
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 15/08/20, 16:07

Julienmos wrote:to Didier, thank you for this long answer (which I haven't read yet), but quickly make a quick question, I'm going to put some (bought) radicchio plants, you know this salad?

These are the same types of chicory.

But in the official French catalog, the two varieties "Rouge de Trévise" and "Rouge de Verona" are listed, which would tend to think that they can be distinguished. This is one of the criteria for registering a variety. A variety already registered under another name cannot be registered. We must be able to distinguish them by at least one specific character. But it may be that for the catalog of "old varieties", which is called "Catalog of vegetable varieties without intrinsic value FR", the GNIS is perhaps (probably) not very careful. There are no "big money" issues behind it.

This is how the "Gardening" section of the Le Monde newspaper site describes these varieties, seeming to imply differences:

[color = # 4040FF]"Italian chicories have more or less red leaves like 'Palla Rossa', round with purple red leaves, 'Treviso red' with leaves oblong red, crunchy, slightly tight, 'Verona Red' in rounded apple crimson red, 'Rouge de Chioggia', early, with very dense apples resisting well to the rise in seeds, 'Variegata de Castelfranco', with a sweet flavor, recognizable by its cream color streaked and speckled with purple .... "[/color]

A priori, "Radicchio" designates this type of chicory, for which 4 Geographical Indications are recognized (including the two above):

"The radicchio is subdivided into four denominations labeled Indicazione geografica protetta:

Radicchio di Chioggia
Radicchio di Verona
Radicchio Rosso di Treviso
Radicchio Variegato di Castelfranco. "

I don't know anything about it, but that's how I interpret the information you find on the internet.
0 x
Julienmos
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Julienmos » 15/08/20, 16:56

but you don't plant any?

(thanks for the communist joke above, I just mailed it to two of my acquaintances) : Lol:
0 x
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 15/08/20, 19:15

Did67 wrote:A new online video, which lays down some theoretical bases on the question of water in the soil and takes stock of "global warming".

I filmed it (shot in my office) after taking pictures in the vegetable garden, in the middle of a heatwave, which I still have to "edit" - but without the intro, the images might be incomprehensible despite the comments . It seemed to me that some "software" was needed.

Well, thank you, it falls at the right time, the last day of work before the holidays, and presto, returning for a little moment of laziness under the oak in front of the vegetable garden. Very very informative. In addition, I learn that I am not in the worst case: my soil is sandy, but deep, there are no stones, and already two years of supply of MO.
(Thank you also for the story with Brezhnev, even if it's a different context than communism, but that sums up my situation at work today, come on, that's it, I confine myself for two weeks in the vegetable garden, a complex and coherent system, which I am beginning to understand a little : Lol: )
0 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
Did67

by Did67 » 15/08/20, 21:40

Julienmos wrote:but you don't plant any?

(thanks for the communist joke above, I just mailed it to two of my acquaintances) : Lol:

I'm trying !!! But my mole rats are better eaters than I am a grower of these chicories: the fleshy roots suit them perfectly!

But that doesn't make me a connoisseur of the characteristics of these plants!
0 x
Julienmos
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Julienmos » 16/08/20, 00:05

Did67 wrote:[
I'm trying !!! But my mole rats are better eaters than I am a grower of these chicories: the fleshy roots suit them perfectly!

About mole rats, they don't just fill up if we make a hole, they themselves make holes in the ground (to go out at night?)
I have several in the grass, and I had one right at the foot of a pepper, which completely sagged.
I placed the topcat trap in the hole, and it didn't take long, on the second attempt, a big mole rat caught in it!
0 x