Le Potager du Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: The Kitchen Garden Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

by Ahmed » 23/05/20, 13:02

It's the same in the forest: when the stands are dense, it would make them grow faster! In reality, the trees are little affected in their growth in height (fight for light), but are as for the growth in diameter of their trunk, hence the illusion of a faster growth, because of their more slender port ....
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Did67

by Did67 » 23/05/20, 13:07

They are slightly etiolated, a voluntary tactic in the management of forests in the east to have log oaks: they are cultivated young in close but very dense association with beeches or hornbeams; they pull the plug; very quickly, the oak forms a "barrel" of a few meters without branching; we cut the hornbeams and beeches as we go, sparingly (so that there is not too much light entering, otherwise, side branches develop) ... Especially for firewood (formerly; today hui, these light woods are very fashionable for the manufacture of furniture, in particular in the Nordic countries which do not like the heavy dark color of the oak ...; therefore today, we make beech logs).
1 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 23/05/20, 14:07

... you probably mean oak logs when talking about log oaks?
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 23/05/20, 15:41

I may have coined the word: oaks intended to produce beautiful logs and "bred" in this idea from the start ...

As opposed to oaks with branches everywhere, valid for fuelwood ...
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 23/05/20, 16:47

Bof, it is only a question of supporting the oaks of the future by a controlled sheathing (=> gradually loosened) avoiding the production of these greedy * in the lower part which devalue the barrels intended to make lumber ... Otherwise, at the other opposite, you have the "apple" oak which is the isolated subject in the middle of a meadow, only pruned horizontally below, at the height of a cow's muzzle! :P

* I am talking about greedy, because these small branches die quite quickly with the decrease in light resulting from the development of neighboring crowns. It is also a great classic of the brutal cuts of coppice in "coppice under high forest" mode: the rather small financial gain obtained by this exploitation is largely lost by the reduction in the height of barrels without branches (there are new emissions of branches following the highlighting of dormant buds: these new branches will then disappear, but with each cut of coppice, they lose about 1,50 in height of "clean" bole).
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 23/05/20, 18:36

Yes, it's commonplace for who like you know.

But when I take people passing by to take a walk in the forest behind my house (a forest), and that I explain this to them, they are rather astonished ... They had only seen a beautiful forest (very natural in their mind ...!) ...
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 23/05/20, 19:33

Did67 wrote:
Paul72 wrote:Removing the low leaves of celeriac makes it fat: you can see the fleshy part right away ... : Mrgreen: : Lol:

Indeed ! Well seen !!!

I am amazed, indeed they told me that it was necessary to remove the leaves to make the rave grow. Last year I left the leaves the raves were smaller than those of the trade but still of correct size. So I came to the conclusion that removing the leaves is not useful.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 23/05/20, 21:31

Last year, my celery, not watered, was also smaller, a direct result of the drought / heat wave. It is a fairly demanding plant (water, nutrients). They only really got bigger in the fall - alas, we left and they stayed outside. The majority have rotted (a variety - not listed, however, overwintered in the ground and we finished it in March!). They freeze and rot from the heart ...
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 23/05/20, 22:43

The new online video is praising the rain (from May 11).

1 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 24/05/20, 00:35

Did67 wrote:The new online video is praising the rain (from May 11).

Once is not custom with the rain we are spoiled right now ....

But you can imagine your weather station caught my eye ...

Can we find out more about how it works and possibly its cost?
0 x