Le Potager du Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Did67

Re: The Kitchen Garden Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

by Did67 » 18/04/19, 15:03

nico239 wrote:What is double skin?

Ah like a horticulturalist uses hay?
And you asked him the reason?

"Double skin": these are two tarpaulins one on top of the other ... It seems to me that Eliot Coleman is talking about it.

He had evolved into permaculture, then had discovered a lazy gardener who seemed convincing to him !!!

He continues to make a "sort of" hillock: he digs furrows and pours the earth over the upper part, without digging it, without burying any MO ... I call that ridges. And he puts hay.
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 18/04/19, 15:13

Cigalyves83 has written:Didier wrote:
"In" early ", we" mow "the potatoes before the mechanical harvest (or we" glyphosate "!). We sacrifice part of the production in favor of an early harvest, less abundant, but which sells more expensive..."
Didier, you like technical rigor too much to pass up this comment : roll:
In fact almost all of the potatoes are SHREDDED to facilitate harvesting.
But NEVER with glyphosate which is systemic !!!
Desiccants are contact herbicides that act very quickly, preventing the spread of late blight to tubers.
But I find it a lot to play with the fear of Glyphosate, it increases societal pressure and forces production to evolve towards more organic practices.

THANK YOU FOR CORRECTING ....

IT HAPPENS THAT I'M WRONG !!!!

Simple bullshit. I had no intention of playing with the fear of glyphosate - especially since I have written often enough that glyphosate, while it is the best known of the pesticides, is not the most dangerous [except if the fact that it would be an endocrine disruptor, which appeared recently, should prove to be correct; this would lead me to revise my point of view]

The fact that it acts very quickly had, wrongly, made me think of glyphosate ...
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 18/04/19, 15:17

The idea was that we can, from a certain stage, remove the leaves and stems and harvest, the formation of tubers begins before.

But it is best to leave until the start of yellowing to maximize the yield.

So it does not matter if the aerial part freezes! Of course, we harvest. But generally not all that we could have harvested ...
1 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 18/04/19, 15:27

Did67 wrote:
nico239 wrote:What is double skin?

Ah like a horticulturalist uses hay?
And you asked him the reason?

"Double skin": these are two tarpaulins one on top of the other ... It seems to me that Eliot Coleman is talking about it.

He had evolved into permaculture, then had discovered a lazy gardener who seemed convincing to him !!!

He continues to make a "sort of" hillock: he digs furrows and pours the earth over the upper part, without digging it, without burying any MO ... I call that ridges. And he puts hay.

I suspected it was that but I wasn't sure ...
Yes, he talks about it, but he gave up: small gain (temperature) and high cost of memory.
But since he made his book the techniques have perhaps evolved and the "small gain" with ...

Ah yes, super :!: it's good that the pros adhere to it too ...

A bit like we did in our tunnel: it must be said that this is the lazy solution too : Mrgreen:
At least when you trace your paths you don't have to carry the earth outside and it is as good in your boards as it is outside : Mrgreen:
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 18/04/19, 15:29

Did67 wrote:The idea was that we can, from a certain stage, remove the leaves and stems and harvest, the formation of tubers begins before.

But it is best to leave until the start of yellowing to maximize the yield.

So it does not matter if the aerial part freezes! Of course, we harvest. But generally not all that we could have harvested ...

Ok I understand better ...

Suddenly
- a well-mulched plan with its aerial part that is left to freeze
- a well mulched plan with no aerial part
Same story or differences?
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 18/04/19, 15:31

Like many books, alas, I flew over Coleman!

In this case, in Alsace, the guy has potatoes which will soon bloom to locate you, in this unheated tunnel.

Note: observed today in my greenhouse "single skin" a potato which has found itself under the hay and which has just pierced ...

It's all the difficulty of playing on the dates of "planting" (putting under hay would be fairer), to have an emergence just after the last frosts ... The answer will be: "that depends!"

It will depend on the year, which we know they follow but are not alike.

And it will depend on the thickness of the hay.

And undoubtedly the advancement of "pre-germination"?
1 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 18/04/19, 15:36

Did67 wrote:Like many books, alas, I flew over Coleman!

In this case, in Alsace, the guy has potatoes which will soon bloom to locate you, in this unheated tunnel.

That does not surprise me...

Outside the tunnel he has a particular technique or a special situation?

You could see the combination was the gap between the layers of tarp or if they are simply 2 tarpaulins (special or not?) Asked one on the other?

Does the temperature never go below 0 in its tunnel?

It still makes questions Image
0 x
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 18/04/19, 15:56

Did67 wrote:Like many books, alas, I flew over Coleman!

Note: observed today in my greenhouse "single skin" a potato which has found itself under the hay and which has just pierced ...

It's all the difficulty of playing on the dates of "planting" (putting under hay would be fairer), to have an emergence just after the last frosts ... The answer will be: "that depends!"

It will depend on the year, which we know they follow but are not alike.

And it will depend on the thickness of the hay.

And undoubtedly the advancement of "pre-germination"?
Could we leave the mother potatoes almost in the sun (under a light layer of hay, leaves for humidity, or keep moist by watering)? (In order to avoid cooling under the thick layer)
and the time that the tubes come out ...
and despite the issue of solanine ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 18/04/19, 16:54

nico239 wrote:That does not surprise me...

Outside the tunnel he has a particular technique or a special situation?

You could see the combination was the gap between the layers of tarp or if they are simply 2 tarpaulins (special or not?) Asked one on the other?

Does the temperature never go below 0 in its tunnel?

It still makes questions

I have to go back ...

It was "Open Doors"; as I know the house, I wandered around and we just exchanged quickly in this tunnel ...
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 18/04/19, 16:58

to be chafoin wrote:Could we leave the mother potatoes almost in the sun (under a light layer of hay, leaves for humidity, or keep moist by watering)? (In order to avoid cooling under the thick layer)
and the time that the tubes come out ...
and despite the issue of solanine ...

For solanine, it is important for consumption, but the seed tubers are pre-germinated in the light, to have stocky germs ... So the question of solanine does not arise.

I think it will be "warming" versus "decomposition of the hay therefore fertilization" ... When we win on one plan, we lose on the other (we delay the decomposition by putting the hay much later) ...

And all the same a little more difficulty to "fener" without breaking the young stems ...

But this is a theoretical reflection. You must try.
1 x