Le Potager du Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: The Kitchen Garden Sloth: Gardening without fatigue more than Bio

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 16/01/19, 21:17

Did67 wrote:For the record, a year ago, I was invited to give a short conference during their regional "grand est" meeting !!! I was already surprised. I explained to them, in half an hour, the Potager du Laesseux.

But what seems important to me is that at a time when people no longer believe in the "powers" of the legislative branch, it is to note that it is the effects of the law on the prohibition of pesticides of summary for private gardeners, which dates from 3 or 4 years ago. It comes into effect. And even venerable ladies like the SNHF have to adapt.

I remember, it's a footnote in my book, that private gardeners, per unit area, used 3 or 4 times more pesticides than farmers!

NB: Roundup is also already banned for special use (in its formulation based on "glyphosate", because they have been clever and call Roundup xxx or Roundup yyy products based on pelargonic acid - a geranium extract - or more simply, diluted vinegar); the one that is talking about these days is the "professional" version, the "Pro 360")

What I liked is that the Venerable Lady as you call her well, talking about mulching, glasses of earth, in short we will not complain that it goes in the right direction. Image
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 17/01/19, 14:13

phil12 wrote: Did you get beaten up

Are you kidding or what? I hadn't paid attention.

The 3 confs at the national permaculture meetings are 2 h 12 + 2 h 43 + 2 h 39, or 7 h 34 !!!!

And the public, I'm not talking about it: hundreds ... (probably the same!).
1 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 17/01/19, 15:13

It can be useful https://www.fermedubec.com/wp-content/u ... niques.pdf

minMo.gif
minMo.gif (55.87 KB) Consulted 2315 times

I come back to the table and wonder if their "wood chips" is not BRF (chopped pruning waste ????) ????
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 17/01/19, 15:53

Ah yes ! It is precious. And for once, the units are there, everything ...

You still need to know that despite the precision of the analyzes, with two figures after the decimal point, these natural products have enormous variability (manure for example according to animal feed, depending on whether it was stored in the shelter from rain or not, depending on the straw used, according to the breeder's habits - little straw, lots of straw, depending on the type of stabilization) ...

Regarding contents compared to fresh materials, it also depends on the humidity at the time of sampling ... By variable species.

Their wood seems rich to me. Are the rather low K contents perhaps linked to exposure to rain? (heap storage)
1 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 17/01/19, 19:46

good it is interesting but what bothers me is that it is on fresh material, and therefore the big variable is going to be the humidity
but at least it gives numbers with units
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 17/01/19, 19:50

Yes, this is the negative side.

The positive side, for a lazy person who calculates the slightest effort, is that it avoids being deluded: such poor material, because wet, can have on the MS, impressive results. Nobody recalculates. There, when we carry a ton, we know what we have!

The indicative table that I had put was also in raw material, for this reason, in spite of this drawback. It would have been so easy to put the DM content and we easily went from one to the other!
1 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 17/01/19, 20:06

Of course, it is just to give a basis in relation to multiple other parameters, such as watering, temperature ... If we know the value of the export in vegetables, fruits ..., it is to calculate approximately l necessary to compensate and also avoid excess. What is done in conventional agriculture, but with greater ease with the tables of Comifer for example.

I found the study cited above, full of teaching. Many more recent ones here https://www.fermedubec.com/la-recherche ... ntifiques/
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 18/01/19, 10:17

An interesting reading of this table is possible.

By comparing the analysis results of compost and crop residues, we can see very well how under the influence of "hot decomposition" = dissipation of energy and carbon in the form of CO2, certain elements are concentrated (iron, magnesium, calcium).

And others not !!! Nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus ...

This shows that these latter elements also "disappear". They are most likely leached (this is clear for potassium) or "evaporated" (this is clear for nitrogen - ammonia gas, which is also leached in its nitrate form in ripe compost). I am more surprised by the P, deemed to be more stable and better restrained. It "evaporates" much less, but still ... Perhaps the compost was more humid than the residue at the time of analysis ??? This is where the lack of DM content plays a trick on us ...

I am assuming that the compost heap was exposed to rain.

This would reinforce my conviction that composting is not relevant: in addition to the energy that is released and is lost, there would also be loss of mineral elements !!! (they are under the compost heap - for K, partly in the air for NH3 - a powerful greenhouse gas !!! - or in water tables - nitrates!).

PS: A little overwhelmed, I did not read the study in detail, I will read it in its entirety, because things are specified in the text: I have just seen that the wood shavings are crushed residues from construction sites green space, mainly coniferous ...
2 x
JardinierAmateur
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by JardinierAmateur » 18/01/19, 20:32

0 x
The enemy often disguises himself as geranium. But we can not be mistaken, because while the geranium is at our windows, the enemy is on our doorstep
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 19/01/19, 00:13

Did you know that our dear earthworm is a nuisance in Quebec? http://plus.lapresse.ca/screens/d1004d0 ... C___0.html
In forest :
- it digs (up to 2 meters deep for earthworms) and brings the soil to the surface, modifying the chemical composition of the soil;
- these changes have an impact on microbial, fungal and mycorrhizal fauna, disturbing underground fauna and plants;
- the galleries of the worm modify the drainage of the soil, which becomes more porous, drier, more sensitive to erosion.

THE ECOLOGICAL CONSEQUENCES
- The soil usually covered with dead leaves becomes bare (sometimes more than 50 meters from the edge of the lakes in Mont-Tremblant Park).
- Various native plants (trills, ferns, etc.) are gradually disappearing, replaced by exotic plants, often invasive grasses that work well with exotic worms.
- The number of rootlets of certain tree species has dropped considerably.
- There is a decrease in viable seeds, especially those of mature trees.
- There has been a decrease in the number of animal species such as insects and mammals living in the undergrowth or birds that nest on the ground.
- These impacts should increase with global warming ...
GardenerAmateur wrote:Just for info: https: //www.futura-sciences.com/planete ... rancais% 5D
Thank you, interesting : Wink:
0 x