The vegetable garden of the lazy Breton

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: The lazy vegetable garden

by sicetaitsimple » 11/09/17, 18:23

Did67 wrote:You mean, I suppose: sowing to produce your own buckets?

Because sowing only, for me, it evokes "sowing directly in place".

Plants in pots, I say "plant" for their final establishment. But indeed, we sow them before!

Ah, "sicetaitsimple"!

But you are right, there are seedlings that are made (in terrine or other), before they transplant them themselves in buckets, then in the ground.

I was talking about everything, for salads in particular it seems to me that sowing in "yoghurt pots" then transplanting directly into the ground is satisfactory.

To my surprise, my seedlings in terrine, really minuscule when I transplanted them, look much better than those I had transplanted in 2016, bought at the market, which were much bigger.
1 x
Carl
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Carl » 20/09/17, 20:16

Mixieer56 wrote:Hello Carl and welcome in phenoculture.
I have just read your messages and questions. I can tell you about my experience, although starting from a situation
different from yours: retired couple, living 8 at 10 months of the year in Morbihan at 4 kms of the ocean.500m2 about cultivable in two zones. 2000 liters of roof water recovery. Land quite heavy although close to the sea, a lot of wind, little rain in spring and summer especially this year 2017.
I started to spread 30 cms of hay and brf on two bands of 10x1,20m and one of 5x6m in October 2016, then two bands of 15x1,20m in March 2017.Sout total about 100m2.
I am satisfied with the results helped by the advice and videos of Didier accompanied by the forumyou know now.
I confirm here that it is better to increase in power gradually. While in retirement, I have other activities. As you write it the seedlings in buckets - which have given well - require a little time and care from seeds bought this year.
Transplanting also because the competitors are very numerous and insatiable: moles, robins, thrushes, slugs, snails, voles, mice, and other undetermined species.
In spite of this, and without ever setting traps - a little ferramol - I harvested courgettes, cucumbers, tomatoes, green beans, yellow raspberries, strawberries, beets, mesclum, rockets, 2. Flowers have been transplanted everywhere to have this new approach accepted by madame :)
On the other hand, the beans sown in November, the peas, potatoes, were victims of various predators.
I take this first year as experimental and observation.
I will soon spread about 100 m2 of hay and cover the old vegetable gardens whose hay disappears little by little.
This is one testimony among others, may it be useful to you.

Hello Mixieer56,

a big thank you for this testimony which is very useful to me because of our proximity!
0 x
Adept of laziness and sensitive to the quality of what my family consumes, I wish to make a vegetable garden of the lazy!
Carl
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Carl » 20/09/17, 20:40

@All: Can you tell me which surface corresponds to a hay roll and to which other surface is a haystack?

I seem to remember that for a boot is about 70m2?
By cons for the boot ??! ??

Reflection of a general nature: the idea of ​​a FAQ launched on another subject is very good, it must be organized / edited and updated only by moderators following questions posed by amateur growers and on which a consensus Was found...
In addition, it should be pinned to "Announcements", like Didier's initial subject.

"Well, I say that, but I say nothing" : Lol:

This is only my humble opinion .............
0 x
Adept of laziness and sensitive to the quality of what my family consumes, I wish to make a vegetable garden of the lazy!
Mixieer56
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Mixieer56 » 21/09/17, 07:43

Carl wrote:
Mixieer56 wrote:Hello Carl and welcome in phenoculture.
I have just read your messages and questions. I can tell you about my experience, although starting from a situation
different from yours: retired couple, living 8 at 10 months of the year in Morbihan at 4 kms of the ocean.500m2 about cultivable in two zones. 2000 liters of roof water recovery. Land quite heavy although close to the sea, a lot of wind, little rain in spring and summer especially this year 2017.
I started to spread 30 cms of hay and brf on two bands of 10x1,20m and one of 5x6m in October 2016, then two bands of 15x1,20m in March 2017.Sout total about 100m2.
I am satisfied with the results helped by the advice and videos of Didier accompanied by the forumyou know now.
I confirm here that it is better to increase in power gradually. While in retirement, I have other activities. As you write it the seedlings in buckets - which have given well - require a little time and care from seeds bought this year.
Transplanting also because the competitors are very numerous and insatiable: moles, robins, thrushes, slugs, snails, voles, mice, and other undetermined species.
In spite of this, and without ever setting traps - a little ferramol - I harvested courgettes, cucumbers, tomatoes, green beans, yellow raspberries, strawberries, beets, mesclum, rockets, 2. Flowers have been transplanted everywhere to have this new approach accepted by madame :)
On the other hand, the beans sown in November, the peas, potatoes, were victims of various predators.
I take this first year as experimental and observation.
I will soon spread about 100 m2 of hay and cover the old vegetable gardens whose hay disappears little by little.
This is one testimony among others, may it be useful to you.

Hello Mixieer56,

a big thank you for this testimony which is very useful to me because of our proximity!

Hello Carl, do not hesitate to send me your questions and / or your suggestions.
Sincerely. .
0 x
"Make a mess of your garden and order your ideas!" Didier Helmstetter
Did67

by Did67 » 21/09/17, 10:01

Carl wrote:

Reflection of a general nature: the idea of ​​a FAQ launched on another subject is very good, it must be organized / edited and updated only by moderators following questions posed by amateur growers and on which a consensus Was found...
In addition, it should be pinned to "Announcements", like Didier's initial subject.

1) The order of magnitude of 2,5 is 3 kg hay (dry) / m². A roll like the ones I use makes about 230 to 250 kg (sec). And covers about 70 to 75 m².

2) Yes, it was a good idea. But one forum is not technically the easiest way to handle FAQs.

I thought for a moment to create a blog (when at one point too much trolling seemed to tarnish the seriousness of forums ecological). I never forgot that I owe my notoriety to this forumand so even if it's technically less obvious, I gave up my idea.

If anyone knows how to handle?

It is obvious that I answer many times the same questions, not knowing myself to find the answer already made!
0 x
Carl
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Carl » 21/09/17, 19:28

Did67 wrote:
Carl wrote:

1) The order of magnitude of 2,5 is 3 kg hay (dry) / m². A roll like the ones I use makes about 230 to 250 kg (sec). And covers about 70 to 75 m².

Thank you for the precision of your answer!

Did67 wrote:
2) Yes, it was a good idea. But one forum is not technically the easiest way to handle FAQs.

I thought for a moment to create a blog (when at one point too much trolling seemed to tarnish the seriousness of forums ecological). I never forgot that I owe my notoriety to this forumand so even if it's technically less obvious, I gave up my idea.

If anyone knows how to handle?

It is obvious that I answer many times the same questions, not knowing myself to find the answer already made!

Be careful, it may discourage you after a while !!!!

I have an idea behind the head, if we take the basic principle of a FAQ: these are only links Internet !!!
0 x
Carl
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Carl » 23/09/17, 19:43

sicetaitsimple wrote:.... first you need to think about perennial crops (artichokes, strawberries, raspberries, rhubarb, asparagus, etc.)

For a garden in phenoculture, which perennials are adapted?

In the gardener I see raspberries, strawberries, but otherwise ??? asparagus, but I have not yet seen the result of the test ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 23/09/17, 19:48

I have a little bit of everything: strawberries, raspberries, blackcurrants, blueberries, May berries, lovage, rhubarb, perennial leek, onion ...

I try to put them on the edge, along the "passages", so as not to find them in the middle, on the passage of the rollers ... This is the only constraint.
0 x
Carl
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Carl » 23/09/17, 19:55

Thank you for your return Didier : Wink:
What kind of mulching for each of the vegetables below?

I already know that the following, you advice from the BRF
strawberries, raspberries, blackcurrants, blueberries,

As for asparagus, you try hay

But for the following? Do you agree that it is possible to try them all in phenoculture and if so, on what type of mulching?
Artichokes, rhubarb, May berries, lovage, rhubarb, perennial leek, rocambola onion
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 23/09/17, 20:54

I put May berries (an edible goat cheese) in the BRF, like other shrub berries.

Everything else is hay (renewed). Including the asparagus, which would work very well if the voles did not "plan" me so much! The feet that have escaped them are magnificent!

And there too, double layer of hay during the winter, to "whiten" them a little ...

[Fuck, it's going to be complicated, phenoculture - I have to take notes!]
0 x