The vegetable garden of the lazy Breton

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: The lazy vegetable garden

by sicetaitsimple » 08/09/17, 21:49

olivier75 wrote:We must also rely on investment, in seeds in plants to not be too disappointed, simple varieties in the majority and recup of neighbors. But living not far away, with a restful seaside and hay, except pests, you do not take big risks.
My favorite seed merchant makes a lot of 52 packages for beginner to 45 euros, with basic varieties easy, I tested it, it is very useful the first year after you add to it what you want, knowing that many hard packets 2 / 3 years, especially if you make your plants in pots above ground.
With your climate, you are expected to do 2 crops, see 3 for some vegetables.
olive

I totally subscribe!

Must do in the low-cost! Buying seedlings should remain a marginal practice if possible, except to make a try.

A personal example: I have been buying 4 F1 (ungrafted) peppers for two years now to see, without a greenhouse. Good bah it is all seen, it is better that I buy peppers at the market, it would be cheaper. I am in Normandy, it is not known either as a region of peppers ....

So next year, I will try to plant seedlings of peppers in seeds recovered (non F1, I am sure) and plant twenty feet, and we will see.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 09/09/17, 11:11

The "drought", at home, this year (trees that die in the forest; many have branches that wither; we have, at this moment, trees that turn yellow and start to lose their leaves) and the test pdt with a double layer (which messed up a bit) allowed me to observe how important the thickness of the layer is. I found wet areas, without any watering, under the double layer, where it was well "compacted", well "in carpet" !!!! I was amazed !!!

So if not watering, and with the exception of sowing, I recommend putting the DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE!
0 x
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by olivier75 » 09/09/17, 13:05

If I can specify, the dose on a well filled soil, with a sufficient useful reserve or before the winter, otherwise it does like my potatoes, once emptied, it does not fill either and remains dry!
Correct me if I'm wrong or if I'm too short.
Olivier
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 09/09/17, 13:18

Absolutely !!! Preferably before or during winter, not too late, so that:

a) the reserve of the soil is totally filled before the season (Brittany, sandy soils ???? It would be weak if it is the case)

b) the hay gets wet from the precipitation (and not by starting to empty the reserve already, if it is brought too late and it does not rain enough); incidentally, this compacts it, makes it more effective against weeds and easier to "cut" - for seedlings.

Even if the amount of water to wet the hay remains reasonable ...

[I wonder if one day I did not write the opposite - I had to make a miscalculation. If someone remembers, I'll check!]
1 x
Mixieer56
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Mixieer56 » 10/09/17, 15:16

Carl wrote:Hello everyone and a big thank you for these rewarding returns!

I do not have a great experience for the moment and it is conventional (mocultant even! Arf the horror : Oops:). A 15m2 outdoor vegetable garden followed by a 12m2 greenhouse all over a period of 4mXNUMX ...

Indeed, for having seen the 38 first videos of Didier, the most consistent work seems to be potted planting and transplanting ... I put aside the crops which, although they take time, represent the moments more pleasant.

The land in question is not very close to my home, but not far either (<10mn by car). However, this means that in winter it will be difficult for me to go on weekdays.

My reasonable estimate:
- 30 / 45mn on Tuesdays and Thursdays from April to October
- 4h per weekend from April to October
- 2h per weekend from November to March

This land of 900m2 is not fenced and I found there rabbit droppings. So I will not be able to do without a wire mesh.

At the sight of your advice, I think therefore to close 500m2 and to use that half to begin. The rest remains grassed and mowed from time to time.

Concerning the type of soil, the proximity of the land with the sea (about 200m) made me believe in a very sandy soil. But when it was still wet, I could make a pudding with that did not break directly. Without being able to make a pretzel for as much (clayey). So I think it's pretty silty.
Here is what it looks like, once dry: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVOY0ZcBEvw
And here is the ground in question:
In images, in pictures :

Or in video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l_i-ycf3FcM

Hello Carl and welcome in phenoculture.
I have just read your messages and questions. I can tell you about my experience, although starting from a situation
different from yours: retired couple, living 8 at 10 months of the year in Morbihan at 4 kms of the ocean.500m2 about cultivable in two zones. 2000 liters of roof water recovery. Land quite heavy although close to the sea, a lot of wind, little rain in spring and summer especially this year 2017.
I started to spread 30 cms of hay and brf on two bands of 10x1,20m and one of 5x6m in October 2016, then two bands of 15x1,20m in March 2017.Sout total about 100m2.
I am satisfied with the results helped by the advice and videos of Didier accompanied by the forumyou know now.
I confirm here that it is better to increase in power gradually. While in retirement, I have other activities. As you write it the seedlings in buckets - which have given well - require a little time and care from seeds bought this year.
Transplanting also because the competitors are very numerous and insatiable: moles, robins, thrushes, slugs, snails, voles, mice, and other undetermined species.
In spite of this, and without ever setting traps - a little ferramol - I harvested courgettes, cucumbers, tomatoes, green beans, yellow raspberries, strawberries, beets, mesclum, rockets, 2. Flowers have been transplanted everywhere to have this new approach accepted by madame :)
On the other hand, the beans sown in November, the peas, potatoes, were victims of various predators.
I take this first year as experimental and observation.
I will soon spread about 100 m2 of hay and cover the old vegetable gardens whose hay disappears little by little.
This is one testimony among others, may it be useful to you.
1 x
"Make a mess of your garden and order your ideas!" Didier Helmstetter
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 10/09/17, 19:15

sicetaitsimple wrote:

A personal example: I have been buying 4 F1 (ungrafted) peppers for two years now to see, without a greenhouse. Good bah it is all seen, it is better that I buy peppers at the market, it would be cheaper. I am in Normandy, it is not known either as a region of peppers ....

when I lived in Mayenne, a year ago, I simply sowed seeds recovered on a bought poiveron. A superb harvest full of peppers.
Since I tried again, it never worked. Now in Loire Atlantique it is the 2th year that I buy a plan of pepper. Last year he broke and this year a single small pepper.
Side eggplant not terrible either but still a little better
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 11/09/17, 09:49

Mixieer56 wrote:
Flowers have been transplanted everywhere to have this new approach accepted by madame :)

J'adooooooooooooooorre your "Say it with flowers"! The class, what!
2 x
Did67

by Did67 » 11/09/17, 09:53

phil53 wrote:Since I tried again, it never worked. Now in Loire Atlantique it is the 2th year that I buy a plan of pepper. Last year he broke and this year a single small pepper.
Side eggplant not terrible either but still a little better

I have some lamentable peppers and aubergines this year ...

A general observation: I noticed many curious behaviors among my plants bought (following the losses by the jail of 21 April) - diseases, chétivity ...

I'm starting to think that plants raised under perf in more or less sterile potting soil undoubtedly have trouble getting used to "phenocultivated" soil. As if, doped before, they were lost there ... See already sick ... NB: the majority were not "organic".

This is not a proven scientific fact. Not even a "conviction" yet ... Just a "feeling" ...
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 11/09/17, 17:37

Did67 wrote:
I have some lamentable peppers and aubergines this year ...

A general observation: I noticed many curious behaviors among my plants bought (following the losses by the jail of 21 April) - diseases, chétivity ...
e of purchased plants

Just a testimony, I do not have any explanation either ...

2017 was for me a year of experiments of sowing (in terrines, in buckets) experience that I did not have until then, I did either sowing in the ground (then possibly transplanting) or transplanting of purchased plants.

I am fully satisfied, although there may be some waste in the percentage of seedlings that are coming well, which is good is usually very good then in the garden.
Well, at the level of the seedlings there is certainly a little technique and favorable conditions of growth on which I have to work, I hope to progress. On everything that is cabbage, I think for example that I was way too early, it spun and only a few copies got away.

But I can only encourage those who can to try to make their own plants.

I think the only plants bought this year are the 4 seedlings of peppers I'm talking about above that will give 6 peppers in all and a few lettuce plants that arrived late compared to my own seedlings!

In short, next year, it is sowing only
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 11/09/17, 17:46

You mean, I suppose: sowing to produce your own buckets?

Because sowing only, for me, it evokes "sowing directly in place".

Plants in pots, I say "plant" for their final establishment. But indeed, we sow them before!
0 x