The garden of a lazy we occasionally.

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: The lazy vegetable garden a we occasionally.

by olivier75 » 14/06/18, 13:01

If, it is not on the photos but it is well started, the Pdt it is the photo with the ladybug.
Olivier.
0 x
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by olivier75 » 17/06/18, 23:54

Here are the following photos, the 16 June.
IMG_5703.JPG
IMG_5702.JPG
IMG_5699.JPG
With a cover of green manure the soil dries up like a bare soil, can be more, can be less, in any case too ....
this afternoon a small part was spawned, between the pumpkins.
Olivier
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 18/06/18, 01:16

olivier75 wrote:
With a cover of green manure the soil dries up like a bare soil, can be more, can be less, in any case too ....

This is THE big problem. And the reason why, in Alsace, only one row out of two is grassed in vineyards, although the vine has a great capacity for drawing water!

In bare soil, at a certain time, when it is dry on the surface, there is a rupture of the upwelling by capillarity. And everything happens as if on the surface, the dry ground "protected" the wet ground below. It is all the more the case that we bine, to realize a "mineral mulch" !!! This is part of the paragraphs I had written in my manuscript, based on research from the 1970s !, but had to cut ...

Conversely, in a covered soil the vegetation will continue to draw water in depth and to evaporate it ... with possibly the help of mushrooms.

The "grail" would be to find the covering plant which, overtaken by the vegetable, withers underneath and forms a "dead" cover ... A hay, what!
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 18/06/18, 02:17

Did67 wrote:
olivier75 wrote:

This is THE big problem. And the reason why, in Alsace, only one row out of two is grassed in vineyards, although the vine has a great capacity for drawing water!

In bare soil, at a certain time, when it is dry on the surface, there is a rupture of the upwelling by capillarity. And everything happens as if on the surface, the dry ground "protected" the wet ground below. It is all the more the case that we bine, to realize a "mineral mulch" !!! This is part of the paragraphs I had written in my manuscript, based on research from the 1970s !, but had to cut ...

Conversely, in a covered soil the vegetation will continue to draw water in depth and to evaporate it ... with possibly the help of mushrooms.

The "grail" would be to find the covering plant which, overtaken by the vegetable, withers underneath and forms a "dead" cover ... A hay, what!

However in many areas of the garden (for pleasure) I have a bazaar (various herbs) of almost 1m high and believe me below the ground remains cool and humid.

Conversely 3m further on, the bare ground is completely dried out and cracked.

That said, I would like to believe that it is an "impression of surface" and that UNDER the dry and cracked soil there is more water reserve than UNDER my 1m of herbs of all kinds ...

However in these widely supplied portions it grows galore while elsewhere it is hard and empty.

The heavy rains of spring allowed the formation of a real carpet of different ground cover so a profusion of thyme thyme in the so-called "desert" part of the ornamental garden ...

I prefer the physiognomy of this year to that of last year where all this part was desert, at least in appearance.

And I have the impression that this natural cover from before summer will be more beneficial for the life of the soil and its "humidity" than last year's alopecia ...
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 18/06/18, 14:04

"a plant cover that would dry out"
I too am thinking about the rest of the season, a green manure so as not to let the autumn nitrates wash out, that's ok,
this year I put my hay in late March-early April, so I could have left a green manure, until then, but there should be a green manure which contains carbon, but there no idea, then I thought to mow and wither on the spot this green manure as and when needed and complete the ground cover with a little hay,
or if I have a green manure, rich in nitrogen, cover it with straw, or harvest the green manure put the straw and put the crushed green manure above,
I'm looking, I'm looking
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 18/06/18, 14:48

There is a "battery" of solutions, with each one of the pros / cons.

For green manures, all plants with good growth in cold weather and which are not legumes are suitable: rye, phacelia, mustards ... I was going to forget the camelina, which I "stuck behind the ear": http://www.bioactualites.ch/cultures/gr ... ation.html
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 18/06/18, 15:55

For info on the phacelia that we like ... more on the decorative level as far as we are concerned ...

It grows quickly and well and it's not expensive ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 18/06/18, 18:41

And it's honey. And has a root system that structures the soil well. And it is easily sown ...

But contrary to what many people think, it is not a legume - that's good, we are trying to trap nitrates!
0 x
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by olivier75 » 18/06/18, 18:50

Hello,
I just received a series, with what I have left it must make a good ten varieties, to try according to the context and the purpose. The trials of the valleys where vegetables and green manure are mixed are promising, to continue, but it remains quite complex to understand, so to master it will take time ... I would like to reduce the imported biomass and increase the fauna. It remains to manage the hay / crop / green manure turnover.
Obviously in the valley I didn’t take a picture, but phacelia, buckwheat and mustard are in bloom, the potions too but they are hidden by the rest.
Olivier.
0 x
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by olivier75 » 18/06/18, 18:53

There is a line with beetroot and phacelia, it keeps cool at the beginning of the culture and at the moment it is very easy to remove it by breaking with the collar.
0 x