Death is in the field: pesticides killers farmers

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Christophe

Death is in the field: pesticides killers farmers

by Christophe » 17/04/12, 15:51

Tonight at 22:40 p.m. on France2: Death is in the meadow

Documentary. An original film written and directed by Eric Guéret.
A Program33 production. With the participation of France Télévisions.

"When we find out the whole truth about the dangers of pesticides, it will be a scandal worse than tainted blood. I have no reason to keep quiet." The farmer who speaks to us has cancer at the age of 47. He is a victim of the pesticides he handles every day.

Hundreds of farmers are hit. Victims of phytosanitary products that were believed to be "harmless". These students from intensive agricultural school have been using them since the XNUMXs on their farms until the day when headaches, fatigue and successive comas took them to hospital. Diagnoses: Parkinson's disease, leukemia, cancers, etc. What looks like an epidemic is emerging.

This documentary is an immersion with these farmers suffering from deadly diseases. We will share the fate of these shaken families, in the intimacy of their medical itinerary, of their fight to be recognized by the MSA, on the exploitation to change practices, in court too…

The first victims of this intensive agricultural system, farmers are also its main actors. Calling into question their practices, their heritage, the very meaning given to their mission to "feed the planet", when the disease arrives, it upsets a firmly anchored ideal. Despite everything, the majority of them continue to use these products which eat away at them slowly. Why ? Others organize resistance. Alert farmers and citizens, initiate a symbolic procedure against the giant of phytosanitary products, Monsanto: nothing is lost for these victims who intend to revolutionize their practices.

http://programmes.france2.fr/documentai ... rique=1418
0 x
Exceed
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Exceed » 17/04/12, 16:41

I will remember all my life, this farmer who told his story .... one day, he opened, as usual, a can of chemical to do his usual treatments and paf ... loss of consciousness ... he wake up at the hospital and, amazed, he sees that he is on perf ... the worst part is that he recognizes on the pouch of the perf, the same acronym as on the can of chemical .. .the day he told his story, he was under the control of lawyers and jurists of the opposing party (... those of the same acronym) ready to finish him in court !!! I think that today, he must be almost dead ... : Evil:
0 x
Respect !!!
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/04/12, 16:54

If not dead, he may testify in tonight's documentary ...

:| :|

Small remedial course on chemical acronyms: http://www.reptox.csst.qc.ca/documents/ ... ions12.htm

(we never taught anyone in compulsory school ... at least not in my time ...)
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 17/04/12, 16:59

Christophe wrote:
(we never taught anyone in compulsory school ... at least not in my time ...)

We rather learn this in vocational college / lycée.
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/04/12, 09:54

I looked, I understood, I cried!

One word to characterize this "system": REVOLTANT! (but we already knew eh ...)

During the report, one of the farmers dies ... it's moving!

What shocked me the most is that the sick farmers, including the one who is going to die, except one, continue to do the same: use chemicals "thoroughly" without changing the product or the doses ...

They think of an organic conversion but we have fears (loss of income, mental inertia, look at other farmers ...) since we have "always" done with chemicals!

MSA (Agricultural Mutual http://www.msa.fr/ ) does not support patients, co-finances a study with industry and does not recognize diseases professionally (despite certain studies which indicate the dangers) ... unbearable for patients ...

A recent trial nevertheless condemned an industrialist ...

So there is still hope ...

It makes you want to eat 100% organic ... Because don't be fooled: we consumers, we also eat filth ... and breathe in some because, see this topic https://www.econologie.com/forums/pesticides ... t5937.html
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 18/04/12, 10:34

I have not seen. In relation to your reflections, two elements:

- the conversion is not simple: many farmers are indebted to a very high level for their equipment; besides the "risk", the "lack of knowledge", it is necessary to pass to "profit and loss" investments not yet profitable. Not easy! Nobody "pays" for it!

Basically, agricultural prices, with some exceptions, are such that during the loan repayment period, the farmer does not earn anything or "lose too much"; then after 15 years, it pays off.

Agriculture is a "heavy industry": it is necessary to implement a lot of capital in order to produce fairly low turnover.

So the "system" (Crédit Agricole, Groupama) and its "advisers" "hold" the farmers, if sometimes the idea of ​​changing comes to them!

- MSA cannot recognize health problems as an occupational disease except go bankrupt ! The financial burden for the plan, whose balance is precarious (fewer and fewer contributors!), Would be enormous. So she does the ostrich.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/04/12, 10:54

To review here: http://www.pluzz.fr/la-mort-est-dans-le ... 22h40.html

2 thoughts on your 2 elements:

- It is not simple no but a) many have already succeeded
b) when you risk your life and lose it ... it might be worth trying at least right? The opposite is just ... amazing ...
c) I had heard in a documentary a few years ago that by using less chemical fertilizers, some agricultural aid was reduced or canceled ... (to be checked if this is still the case) d) Debt effectively keeps farmers in the "system" but they remain much richer in heritage than most of the other inhabitants ... So parting with a few hectares of land for a healthy life ??? Not worth it uh..the cost?

Life is priceless !! Gosh !!!

- Absolutely, it is mentioned in the documentary ... So What? You have to make the real people pay ... The billions of Monsanto, bayer et cie ...

When an organization of public utility no longer protects its citizens and plays the game of industrialists and money, it must be brought down or at least reformed. It is a duty of citizenship !!
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 18/04/12, 11:12

Christophe wrote:I looked, I understood, I cried!

One word to characterize this "system": REVOLTANT! (but we already knew eh ...)

During the report, one of the farmers dies ... it's moving!

What shocked me the most was that sick farmers including one who will die, except one, keep doing the same: use of chemicals "thoroughly" without changing the product or the doses ...

They think of an organic conversion but there are fears (loss of income, mental inertia, look of others farmers ...) since we have "always" done with chemicals!

MSA (Agricultural Mutual http://www.msa.fr/ ) does not support patients, co-finances a study with industry and does not recognize diseases professionally (despite certain studies which indicate the dangers) ... unbearable for patients ...

A recent trial nevertheless condemned an industrialist ...

So there is still hope ... [...]

Yes REVOLTANT!

In Spain (or off camera) it's much worse. Since the most exposed are undocumented workers, therefore without rights! And even the right ...

This broadcast is good, because in many areas, the only right that prevails is that of being silent.

It is representative of the "global system". While one would have thought agriculture still "a world apart".

It’s always and alwayscurrent theoretical model"- if we can still speak of a model ... - and of course, this is not valid only in the argiculture (although tip of the iceberg) but in all sectors ... If we had the figures workers in the chemical industry and their medical follow-up throughout their career would not be very encouraging. Let's not talk about the hectic pace that reigns in the building industry, where today, buildings grow like mushrooms in less than a year ...

In truth, agro-chimico buisness or the rest ...

Look at the automobile industry and the telecoms, this is the stress (suicide due to stress). And we can clearly see the influence of stress in this context.

This "model" is wreaking havoc where you do not expect it, even among the "hidden" even in the administrations, subject to the laws of new management. Where we know the problems of blackmail, corruption and also suicide (although a priori it is not comparable since they live in their offices, and yet)!

The world of work denies that such problems can exist even in medical offices, and even of lawyers since they are regularly in cahoots with psychiatrists up to the courts, all based on an essentially repressive system.

So optimism ... : Evil:

Where is the "social protection", When the victims are singled out as" guilty of being victims ": because this is the perversion maximus maxima that emerges!

As long as all of the related systems, which are supposed to be safeguards and "protect" us, will be "collaborative»- and that the mechanism will be again and always essentially based on fear (... all kinds of fears) - the totalitarian merchant system will be able to continue lightening, there will hardly be any to stop it!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/04/12, 11:28

Obamot wrote:As long as all of the related systems, which are supposed to be safeguards and "protect" us, will be "collaborative»- and that the mechanism will be again and always essentially based on fear (... all kinds of fears) - the totalitarian merchant system will be able to continue lightening, there will hardly be any to stop it!

+1

A solution? : Arrow: : Arrow:

: Arrowl: : Arrowl:

And quick !!
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 18/04/12, 11:56

In France, we use nearly 3,8 million tonnes of fertilizer, and more than 110 tonnes (Europe's largest consumer) of "plant protection products" (pesticides, herbicides and fungicides) per year!

As a reminder, 100% organic agriculture could generate more than a million jobs ...
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.