Type of soil?

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Type of soil?

by Leo Maximus » 25/08/18, 11:05

Moindreffor wrote:since I no longer dig the pebbles are no longer a problem, so why die to remove them, this is especially the question
the pebbles interfere when you work the soil, with the activation of the soil life, it is 1 cm of earth that will go up per year, so the pebbles will go down themselves
me personally I will do well to remove them

So, if AD44 wants to harvest carrots he will have to wait for years while preparing the soil. It's impossible...
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 25/08/18, 11:10

Leo Maximus wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:since I no longer dig the pebbles are no longer a problem, so why die to remove them, this is especially the question
the pebbles interfere when you work the soil, with the activation of the soil life, it is 1 cm of earth that will go up per year, so the pebbles will go down themselves
me personally I will do well to remove them

So, if AD44 wants to harvest carrots he will have to wait for years while preparing the soil. It's impossible...

he will probably have more split carrots but he will have carrots
we do not care about the shape of the carrot as long as it is good
why this dictation of the carrot long and straight : Mrgreen:
if you leave a land with pebbles clod you really believe that weeds with pivoting roots like dandelions the rumex are not going to grow?
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 25/08/18, 11:31

Moindreffor wrote:he will probably have more split carrots but he will have carrots
if you leave a land with pebbles clod you really believe that weeds with pivoting roots like dandelions the rumex are not going to grow?

There is no "dictate" of the long straight carrot.

When the nature of the soil is favorable to it, the carrot grows spontaneously of itself long and straight. Yet she knows nothing about European standards.

In a poor and stony ground, the carrot "suffers", it is puny and its taste qualities will be weak if it has suffered during its growth.

Ditto for weeds, they proliferate when the nature of the soil is favorable to them.
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 25/08/18, 11:53

Leo Maximus wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:he will probably have more split carrots but he will have carrots

There is no "dictate" of the long straight carrot.

When the nature of the soil is favorable to it, the carrot grows spontaneously of itself long and straight. Yet she knows nothing about European standards.

In a poor and stony ground, the carrot "suffers", it is puny and its taste qualities will be weak if it has suffered during its growth.

Ditto for weeds, they proliferate when the nature of the soil is favorable to them.

well if it improves the quality of its soil in MO, it will have carrots, it is not the pebbles that will prevent it, we talk about the pebbles not because the terrain is poor : Mrgreen:
it is certain that if his ground remains poor even by removing the pebbles he will not be able to cultivate much, but here is the beginning
0 x
(of me)
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 25/08/18, 15:02

Wait, have you seen the size of the pebbles?
0 x
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 25/08/18, 16:37

nico239 wrote:... You can always try to leave a corner where you do nothing: remove the pebbles or upgrade and compare ....

This comparison, I can do it! It was completely unintentional at first, it is not in the kitchen garden but whatever, the comparison can be made.

There are 3 years I planted a hundred iris. I first put eighty along a wall, in a soil that was sifted to a thickness of about 40 cm. The rest on a mound where the earth has not been sifted but simply cleared of the largest pebbles.

I put a handful of compost at the planting of each rhizome.

Photo of the irises planted along the wall in a thickness of 40 cm of sieved earth:

Iris in sieved earth.
Iris in sieved earth .jpg (302.7 Kio) Viewed 2795 times

Photo of the irises planted on the mound of "raw" earth, soil which is already better than the original soil:

Iris in rough ground.jpg
Iris in rough earth.jpg (380.49 Kio) Viewed 2796 times

The smartphone gives the scale.

Irises planted in the mound of raw earth never bloomed. They are 3 at 4 times less high.

There's no picture ... :) To each his way of doing things.
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 25/08/18, 19:55

earth mound therefore hyper-draining so dry ground, lack of water, runoff and leaching of any fertility
wall keeps heat protects from winters, recovers water if it is raining, no runoff
so two very different conditions and for me are not the pebbles that prevent your irises from flourishing
0 x
(of me)
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 25/08/18, 21:13

These iris are on a mound of 0,6 m high in the center. They are planted at the bottom of the hillock. The surface where they are planted is horizontal (in the photo we see that the ground goes back behind) and almost at the same level as the irises planted along the wall a little further (+ 10 cm maybe). They are facing south like those along the wall and they are watered more frequently because I find them weak. The only difference is the pebbles.

This is a great opportunity to see what it is! I will dig them up and then put them back in the same earth but sifted this time. In addition it's the season! We will see the result next year. It makes 600 700 kg of soil to sift, it is the moment because the earth is rather dry. I will make photos as and when.
0 x
A.D. 44
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by A.D. 44 » 25/08/18, 22:13

Good, good, good ... I do not want it to turn to pugilism c't history of pebbles!

Now I've done it, idiocy or not, it's done.

I am now going to attack the covering (mulching) of the soil so as not to remain naked ...
0 x
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 26/08/18, 00:25

Welcome to Econology!
(must be fried a little ..)
0 x