Small vegetable garden 69 on the way to laziness

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Small vegetable patch 69 on the way to laziness

by Moindreffor » 24/09/20, 09:53

stephgouv wrote:Hello, Haven't you tried with coffee grounds? It would be a natural repellent ... For my part, I have never tested.

we hear and read everything on coffee grounds, if it was that effective, we would have sold it in pet stores for a long time given the tons they must have to recycle in soluble coffee factories : Mrgreen:
Personally, I put it aside to spread it on my lawn this fall to use it as a fertilizer, why on the lawn, because I don't want to use too effective a chemical fertilizer and I don't want to buy a natural fertilizer that comes from the other side of the world while I have this on hand

in the vegetable garden I could use it, but in the vegetable garden I can put hay, not on the grass : Mrgreen:
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 24/09/20, 10:09

I tried the coffee grounds, at home I noticed that it works, provided you put a lot of it. But really a lot, for example one drawer of bistro coffee grounds per m2.
0 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 24/09/20, 10:23

For the ants and especially flea beetles if you do not lack water, sprinkle the leaves copiously to wet the hay, this decreases the flea beetle population and has the advantage of attracting wasps or hornets which come to drink and in the process eat aphids and caterpillars. Nothing perfect, but at home I hardly had any flea beetles and aphids, very few caterpillars. I even manually crush butterfly eggs and bedbugs.
1 x
stephgouv
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by stephgouv » 24/09/20, 10:38

Moindreffor wrote:
stephgouv wrote:... if it was that effective, we would sell it in pet stores for a long time

I think more that it would be a question of profitability.
Hay is very efficient, and yet it is not found in garden centers! Oh yes, in mega small packaging for rabbits and other rodents ^^
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 24/09/20, 10:46

stephgouv wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:
stephgouv wrote:... if it was that effective, we would sell it in pet stores for a long time

I think more that it would be a question of profitability.
Hay is very efficient, and yet it is not found in garden centers! Oh yes, in mega small packaging for rabbits and other rodents ^^

and if you look at the price of hay for rabbits compared to the price of a bundle from a farmer you immediately see the benefits : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: So if the coffee grounds were really effective, we would not do without this black gold mine : Mrgreen:
when you see the vinegar sold for 40 € as a weedkiller ...
0 x
(of me)
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 24/09/20, 12:24

The problem is the too large quantity it takes to block the ants: if you can sell a 100g of a magic thing for 40 euros effective for 30 m2, the stupid consumer will buy without thinking, if you says that to be effective you need, for example, a kilo of this magic thing for one m2, at 400 euros per m2 the magic no longer operates.
0 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
alkaline
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by alkaline » 24/09/20, 12:48

Doris wrote: I haven't seen a single caterpillar this year in the vegetable garden, it's the first time, but I had a lot of wasps, I don't know where they nest, but it must not be far from the vegetable garden, I have them attracts with water points.
I forgot to mention them but it's true that there were a lot of wasps compared to last summer ... I might have fewer caterpillars later.
0 x
it depends
alkaline
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by alkaline » 24/09/20, 12:54

stephgouv wrote:Hello, Haven't you tried with coffee grounds? It would be a natural repellent ... For my part, I have never tested.
I've been putting all my coffee grounds in the vegetable garden for 2 years. I also tried en masse at the foot of the rose bushes ... I saw no difference :(
0 x
it depends
alkaline
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by alkaline » 24/09/20, 13:04

phil53 wrote:For the ants and especially flea beetles if you do not lack water, sprinkle the leaves copiously to wet the hay, this decreases the flea beetle population and has the advantage of attracting wasps or hornets which come to drink and in the process eat aphids and caterpillars. Nothing perfect, but at home I hardly had any flea beetles and aphids, very few caterpillars. I even manually crush butterfly eggs and bedbugs.
Yes, this is the tactic that I mainly adopt: in case of critters, everyone in the shower ... not many who like :P
I even used a little "bacillus thuringiensis" on the cabbages because I only had 2 and I am only in my garden for one week out of 2 ... so it was the caterpillars or me and I did not want to discourage me :)
0 x
it depends
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 24/09/20, 13:16

Doris wrote:The problem is the too large quantity it takes to block the ants: if you can sell a 100g of a magic thing for 40 euros effective for 30 m2, the stupid consumer will buy without thinking, if you says that to be effective you need, for example, a kilo of this magic thing for one m2, at 400 euros per m2 the magic no longer operates.

yes, since coffee grounds are waste for an industry, valuing this waste would be a godsend, given the dry mass, we could make a 1kg bag sold for ten euros or more, there would quickly be enough make a profit, except that it's one of the bobo tips and tricks for recycling at home, such as PQ roll buckets, composting earthworm ...
0 x
(of me)