Small kitchen garden lazy in the Ardennes

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Did67

Re: Small kitchen garden lazy in the Ardennes

by Did67 » 20/05/17, 09:58

sicetaitsimple wrote:
I am not a defender of metaldehyde or bare soil, but I do not understand the association ... You can very well be in bare soil and use ferramol.
Personally, I have already explained it many times, it is more my way of doing things: I uncover the cover when sowing or planting, and I put it back (or not, it depends, not on radishes for example !) as soon as the plant has acquired sufficient vigor. And if it is a delicacy for slugs, ferramol during the period of first growth. In short, I am in "rotating bare soil" perhaps two months a year on average and in biomass cover the other ten months!

Do not "reverse" my reasoning.

I'm saying the "bare ground" gardener (implied, sorry, I didn't specify, conventional) 95 times out of 100 don't bother and use metaldehyde. Otherwise, he would also have slug problems, which having nothing else to eat in bare soil, go right over to the vegetables.

But this is not a "problem" for this gardener, since he has methaldehyde, which is very effective. And so he doesn't have a problem with slugs. And finds out when he converts! Its conclusion is then simple. Too simple: it's the fault of the hay (or the straw)!

The "organic" gardener, the phenocultor, the "bare soil" gardener respectful of the environment, for them, it will be a little more complicated because Ferramol seems to me less efficient (does it work with all species, I have some doubts), at least much slower. I have several times experienced the situation where I put Ferramol ... and the slugs were on my carrots, salad plants or cabbages. What I didn't know from the time when I didn't think about it and use the blue granules (very occasionally though - I already didn't like, but with a massive attack it happened to me).
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 20/05/17, 10:46

Did67 wrote:
Do not "reverse" my reasoning.

The "organic" gardener, the phenocultor, the "bare soil" gardener respectful of the environment, for them, it will be a little more complicated because Ferramol seems to me less efficient (does it work with all species, I have some doubts), at least much slower.

OK, it was just disturbing.

I understood that anyway, for amateurs, metaldehyde is now "under lock and key" in garden centers and that it should be totally banned in 2019. Of course, there are clever little people who will stock up or to be supplied via parallel routes, but overall it will be necessary to do with Ferramol (whose granules, for the brand that I buy, are also always blue, must not disturb the customer in his habits!).
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 01/06/17, 00:33

Raspberries ... my dream, but we can't do everything at the same time ... I take good note of the info and advice
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 01/06/17, 09:22

nico239 wrote:Raspberries ... my dream, but we can't do everything at the same time ... I take good note of the info and advice

Mine couldn't be simpler:

- in the fall, on a piece of meadow, a shot of mower flush ...
- spread out, on the strips, a mixture of leaves and grass clippings; tackle the ground with an anti-bird net (but you can also do it with hay, without fixing it; or with dead leaves alone - it's poorer)
- in winter, with a spade, make a small break, put the plants in it, close with a kick of the bluntly
- in winter or spring, top up with either BRF, or hay, or both, or one after the other (the BRF v "rai" is important on this plant on the edge of the forest) ...

With "pick-ups", it produces from the first year (see my videos).

The raspberry tree has a horizontal, superficial rooting and suffers from drought in summer (I'm talking about a normal summer; with uplifts, production stops, flowers abort, unless you install a drip; it is essential for this plant, the ground cover reduces drying, but does not bring water!)
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 09/06/17, 13:39

Good bin it is not the joy of all my vegetable garden of the lazy Ardennes ... Nothing grows except weeds ... Cucurbits and corn do not develop at all (they were more beautiful in the seedling tray). The other seedlings are downright dead ...

I don't even dare send you a photo! :?

Obviously there is a problem ... but which one? Weather? Polluted soil? The hay? Or maybe I'm really too lazy ??? : Mrgreen:

Is there a solution to catch up? Help!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 09/06/17, 21:45

It should start ... now!

Now leave the corn to the Incas - it's more of a tropical border plant. Not ideal in the Ardennes. Eyeing rather on the side of cabbage, leeks, potato (a little late), salads, now beans (which is also a semi-tropical but goes faster than corn) ....

Then identify what is wrong: your seedlings do not come out or grow ??? Sowing of what ???
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 16/07/17, 00:59

Did67 wrote:
nico239 wrote:Raspberries ... my dream, but we can't do everything at the same time ... I take good note of the info and advice

Mine couldn't be simpler:

- in the fall, on a piece of meadow, a shot of mower flush ...
- spread out, on the strips, a mixture of leaves and grass clippings; tackle the ground with an anti-bird net (but you can also do it with hay, without fixing it; or with dead leaves alone - it's poorer)
- in winter, with a spade, make a small break, put the plants in it, close with a kick of the bluntly
- in winter or spring, top up with either BRF, or hay, or both, or one after the other (the BRF v "rai" is important on this plant on the edge of the forest) ...

With "pick-ups", it produces from the first year (see my videos).

The raspberry tree has a horizontal, superficial rooting and suffers from drought in summer (I'm talking about a normal summer; with uplifts, production stops, flowers abort, unless you install a drip; it is essential for this plant, the ground cover reduces drying, but does not bring water!)

Ooh there we will not pollute the subject of the Ardennes which has many concerns elsewhere ... but we will talk about it again ...
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 16/07/17, 01:01

Christophe wrote:Good bin it is not the joy of all my vegetable garden of the lazy Ardennes ... Nothing grows except weeds ... Cucurbits and corn do not develop at all (they were more beautiful in the seedling tray). The other seedlings are downright dead ...

I don't even dare send you a photo! :?

Obviously there is a problem ... but which one? Weather? Polluted soil? The hay? Or maybe I'm really too lazy ??? : Mrgreen:

Is there a solution to catch up? Help!

Well then ... all this should be very instructive if we can determine the chain of causes and effects

It would be necessary to make a small history of sowing, dates, planting, watering, weather, cover, soil ...
1 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/07/17, 12:34

Well friends, finally it's "not so bad" ... 3/4 of the cucurbits have finally survived and are doing quite well ... at least in foliage ... for the vegetables we will see later. : Cheesy:

No watering except when transplanting seedlings and rain of course ...

The corn grow slowly but surely ... one of the 4 plants much "better" (relatively speaking) than the others ...

I had let the weeds grow (yes I am a lazy vegetable MEGA! :D) and I just mowed them this morning: which will make a little extra layer of hay ...

In photos it gives:

curcubitaces.jpg

curcubitaces2.jpg

but.jpg

ps: on the last photo of the 4 corn plants, on the left there is a fine plant that leans a little with small yellow flowers ... I think it is part of my seedlings (without being sure) but I don't know what can it be ?? If someone has an idea? I admit that I did not follow my sowing too much ... in this corner I had planted beans but it does not look like it too ?? Yes ? : Mrgreen:
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 17/07/17, 13:01

For the "yellow" plant, the photo is a little blurry, finally lacking definition, but a priori it is a weed ...

Corn, I already told you I think, what an idea: it's a semi-tropical! You would not put mimosas in the eskimos ???
0 x