Fight effectively against slugs!

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Did67

Re: Fight effectively against slugs!

by Did67 » 04/06/19, 09:05

VetusLignum wrote:
I confirm that it is ferramol that interests them.
I gave some, but a little further from the plants; the next day, the plants were still there, but there was no more ferramol.

They take it for seeds ???

Me, it's always the seeds that germinate that are dug up (beans, peanuts, ...). I no longer gave Ferramol; but maybe it was the birds who ate it ???
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 04/06/19, 09:15

Did67 wrote:Me, it's always the seeds that germinate that are dug up (beans, peanuts, ...). I no longer gave Ferramol; but maybe it was the birds who ate it ???
The blackbirds turn the cutlery upside down looking for worms.

For the seeds it would be more like corvids :?: https://wikiagri.fr/topics/comment-redu ... intemps/37 ... seems that putting a large cage with a captive crow would work well : Mrgreen:

Otherwise, as feramol is not toxic, it may taste good to birds. : Wink:
Do the hens eat it? for those who both?
0 x
VetusLignum
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by VetusLignum » 04/06/19, 10:04

Did67 wrote:
VetusLignum wrote:
I confirm that it is ferramol that interests them.
I gave some, but a little further from the plants; the next day, the plants were still there, but there was no more ferramol.

They take it for seeds ???

Me, it's always the seeds that germinate that are dug up (beans, peanuts, ...). I no longer gave Ferramol; but maybe it was the birds who ate it ???

Yes, I believe birds come on purpose to eat ferramol.
And I think they take the beans away from me too, because none have grown yet.
How do you do ? Do you put a net or a grid?
It bothers me a bit to germinate the beans at home too, because there are also birds (starlings and robins) that attack them.
The birds have young to feed at the moment, which makes them particularly voracious.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 04/06/19, 10:20

I have both :

- for small areas (4 or 5 rows sown), I have a set of 3 wooden frames covered with "rabbit cage" type netting; I can handle easily; the 3 frames placed end to end make me the length of my flower beds ...

- for large surfaces, such as a block of 10 or 15 rows sown, I put crutches (in roof slats) and I stretch a net over them, like a "Canadian tent" (do not let the wire rest, otherwise the plants pass their leaves through and when you want to remove the net, you tear off the leaves or plants); on the edge, I "overcast" the stitches with a "soft" wire (wire for binding) that I stretch at both ends with a tent pole, so that the net is well plated and the birds do not pass through it. below ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 04/06/19, 10:22

For beans, one year I had a massive attack of Lycaenidae caterpillars - woodlice-shaped caterpillars that "suck" the seeds once they are softened - you find a few empty shells (seed coats). Almost no beans or peas sprouted on two successive seedlings ...
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 04/06/19, 11:06

VetusLignum wrote:And I think they take the beans away from me too, because none have grown yet.
I don't know in which region you are? At home, the earth is slow to warm up this year. For beans it is necessary to sow when the soil temperature exceeds 15 ° and ideally 18 °. https://www.jardiner-malin.fr/fiche/haricot.html
0 x
VetusLignum
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by VetusLignum » 04/06/19, 11:14

Did67 wrote:For beans, one year I had a massive attack of Lycaenidae caterpillars - woodlice-shaped caterpillars that "suck" the seeds once they are softened - you find a few empty shells (seed coats). Almost no beans or peas sprouted on two successive seedlings ...

OK, I had indeed spotted a small green caterpillar where I had sown beans. So I will have to germinate them at home.
Thank you for the info.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 04/06/19, 12:39

izentrop wrote:I don't know in which region you are? At home, the earth is slow to warm up this year. For beans it is necessary to sow when the soil temperature exceeds 15 ° and ideally 18 °. https://www.jardiner-malin.fr/fiche/haricot.html

Yes, without taking these figures to the letter (I am doing it on purpose! Numbers and letters!], It is true that the bean is very cautious ...
0 x
oli 80
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by oli 80 » 09/06/19, 14:41

Hello, here is another way to fight against slugs
0 x
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by olivier75 » 09/06/19, 15:42

Never aphids on rhubarb? Just a little bit...
63BE6705-B6ED-479E-A05F-4A8E2F93FD4A.png
0 x

Back to "Agriculture: problems and pollution, new techniques and solutions"