Fight effectively against slugs!

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Julienmos
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: Fight effectively against slugs!

by Julienmos » 30/05/19, 13:29

Did67 wrote:If you walk around, take a look at the houses with "framing" of roof windows or copper chimneys. And you will see it right away. Below, it's clean. Next to it, it's dull and gray!

I used to have a roof covered with shingle, with ventilation cat flaps not in copper, but in zinc (this kind http://www.lagence-dating.fr/ventilatio ... ise-54222/

and if I remember correctly, these shingles were much "cleaner" also downstream of the cat flaps ...
0 x
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by olivier75 » 30/05/19, 13:56

Hello,

This year slugs are not a problem for me, in none of the vegetable gardens, they are there, do little lethal damage; feramol remains closed for the time being.
The rather mild weather gives the plants a bit more head start ...
I had put aside copper gutter descents to protect the most vulnerable plants, by cutting them off at the end of a dozen cm, and turning the edge to the edger or protecting it with a long cut pipe, but, despite the invasion of last spring, the damage was minimal, I still haven't done it.
It would however be necessary for the most attractive varieties like the Armenian cucumber.
Olivier.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 30/05/19, 15:25

olivier75 wrote:It would however be necessary for the most attractive varieties like the Armenian cucumber.
I planted some squash in meadows and as they attacked the young leaves, it does not matter, but to prevent them from nibbling on the stems, I surrounded them with a little ash of wood. I do not see big groupers but tiny gray and small snails ... We will see if it is effective.

I have more damage with wild rabbits. Otherwise, the onions in the middle of the nettles do not seem to interest these ladies, on the other hand the garennes, I would not have believed it, but they ribibois half of it ... A rabbit with small onions, that must not be disgusting : Wink:
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 31/05/19, 19:00

Even, I just cut my 6th salad in my 3/4 m2 protected by the electric fence. For the first time I had a dozen small slugs that I suspect were born there. The fence is working, I checked the passage under the sheet and not over the wire.
For large salads it is not serious but for a semi it can be catastrophic.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 31/05/19, 20:10

They feigned your fence, rascals. : Wink:

In the salads of my greenhouse, I also have some small gray ones, but until then no big damage. They were tiny at first. now that the salads are finished, they are a little bigger. Eggs that were in the ground or in the potting soil, probably.
Maybe they also come from the compost that I mixed with the earth this winter. who knows ?

This compost has been beneficial to my soil that has become semolina, while my soil is usually very heavy. : Wink:
0 x
VetusLignum
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by VetusLignum » 01/06/19, 12:15

I think some birds (maybe crows) are very attracted to ferric phosphate. Other experiences along these lines?
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 01/06/19, 22:08

This ANSES opinion:

Ferric phosphate has low acute oral toxicity to birds. The toxicity of ferric phosphate was determined from toxicity studies carried out with two preparations each containing 1% and 3% of ferric phosphate. The corresponding LD50s are higher than the maximum tested doses of 2000 mg preparation / kg bw and 5000 mg preparation / kg bw, respectively

https://www.anses.fr/en/system/files/DIVE2008ha1370.pdf
0 x
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 01/06/19, 23:14

Yes I am not going back on this opinion which we had spoken about last year (or is it another?), Which dates from 2008 and which was sponsored by the "partner" SLUXX. I laugh. Just for the record, the author of the report is a senior official who went through the Ministry of Ecological Transition before suddenly being hired in the private sector of the automotive world.

To come back to the slugs, I went to the garden this evening (after 2 days of cagnar) and ... almost no more visible slugs! In many places the leaves of the potatoes were dry. Maybe I don't know that you have to wait a little later when the temperature drops to see humidity ... and slugs !? The fact remains that the plants seem to be doing well ... as long as it lasts!
0 x
VetusLignum
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by VetusLignum » 02/06/19, 01:01

VetusLignum wrote:I think some birds (maybe crows) are very attracted to ferric phosphate. Other experiences along these lines?

I'll tell you what happened to me.
Friday evening, I will plant 1 zucchini plant, 1 pumpkin plant, and 2 tomato plants.
The tomato plants were put deep enough (because I bury the stem), and I place around my plants a cut cylinder on a 2-liter plastic water bottle, to protect the plant. I put a few granules of ferric phosphate (Slug Clear Extra brand) around the plant.
Saturday morning, I find my 2 tomato plants and the pumpkin plant uprooted. One of the tomato plants was several inches away.
The plastic cylinder had not moved, but inside it was clean, and there was no longer a ferric phosphate granule.
This is the reason why I think that some birds (I think of crows, because it still needed strength to dig up my plants) love them.
I also noticed that my granules disappeared very quickly.
But maybe it's just a bad brand?
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 02/06/19, 08:46

to be chafoin wrote:Yes I am not going back on this opinion which we had spoken about last year (or is it another?), Which dates from 2008 and which was sponsored by the "partner" SLUXX. I laugh. Just for the record, the author of the report is a senior official who went through the Ministry of Ecological Transition before suddenly being hired in the private sector of the automotive world.

Almost all of the toxicology data we have comes from the files for a marketing authorization (MA).

An official who writes a report hires the service - I was a civil servant: we always have a chef !!! So you don't write anything, even if you can influence what is written.

We are there in opinions and everyone is free. It is only mine.

For many years, the "burden" of measuring these toxicology data has fallen entirely on the manufacturer who requests Marketing Authorization. Sometimes, labs do this at the behest of the manufacturer. The protocol is codified at European level, hence the fact that tests are carried out on a certain number of precise species, and at stereotyped doses (2 mg / kg of body weight, for example).

It's the same with drugs, by the way.

Or the CE self-certification of all devices, toys, etc ... supposed to guarantee the fact that they are safe. Look at the end of a manual, you have the signature of the manager of the manufacturer who hires his box. It has never been checked in an independent or public structure!

This is of course open to criticism. It is a choice of society where we decided not to do this in public labs, which would cost very dearly in charges and taxes - so that would make a lot of yellow vests, Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays etc !! !

There are nevertheless some safeguards, checks being made by the authorities of the different European countries, by "sampling". There are also independent researchers who do research on toxicity, impact on wildlife, etc etc ... Fortunately there is still "free" research on environmental issues. With researchers who are very fond of "buzz", through publications, because it allows them to attract funding. So totally crazy results would quickly be noticed. And then there is investigative journalism like a few magazines that would be fond of crazy results to create a buzz ...

So even if it is sometimes open to criticism, even if certain figures change with time and observation (asbestos was not immediately known as a carcinogen, then the fact was concealed by manufacturers, etc. . but we ended up knowing), it is not "just anything" either.

There are currently no “risk phrases”, nor any allegations that I know from the side of “environmentalists”, LPO, etc. for ferric phosphate ... on a significant dangerousness of ferric phosphate.

This does not mean that it is a harmless product. See the opinion of the poison control center (which seems to concern only domestic mammals - dogs ...): https://www.centre-antipoison-animal.co ... maces.html

I use it moderately during this critical period that we know at the end of 'winter, when the slugs are active, but the auxiliaries are not or little ... Basically 1 pack of Ferramol out of 4 to 500 m² cultivated with vegetables.

I recommend to avoid the "crowns" of Ferramol in large quantities around the plants, and to disperse at a fairly low density (the width of a hand between each granule being a mark) for another, non-toxicological reason: excess ferric iron slows down the assimilation of Zn and can lead to deficiencies in this element.

Salt is toxic to birds. It is very harmful to soils. It is over the counter ...

Everything is always relative in this world! So there is room to place the risk / reward slider at different levels, neere the "khmer vert" position and that of the "papy sulphate flytoxer - everything must always be blue so clean".
0 x

Back to "Agriculture: problems and pollution, new techniques and solutions"