Water quality for the garden !!!

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Water quality for the garden !!!

by izentrop » 21/11/17, 00:17

Did67 wrote: mention may also be made of sulfur derivatives, a pollutant for humans and a trace element useful for plants (especially crucifers). S is often a neglected limiting factor ...
According to fertilizer manufacturers, paradoxically, industrial pollution provided the necessary quota for cultivated soils, and since environmental improvements, filtering of factory fumes, agricultural land is in short supply and requires additional sulfur. http://www.yara.fr/fertilisation/purs-n ... la-sulfan/

Do you know how it goes for living soil?
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 21/11/17, 10:40

What I know :

a) Manfred Wenz, the German farmer from whom I was "inspired", brings native sulfur in granules (it is authorized, it is labeled "organic" and even "Demeter" - biodynamic). I saw one of his tests: it's spectacular: we could see perfectly the "bands" where he had passed with his spreader.

b) I believe in the principle of conservation of the mass (Lavoisier): I do not see how, except the contributions by the restitutions, except the pollution, and except the fertilization the ground could be enriched ... So a poor soil will remain poor...

c) There is, in my system, the contributions by the hay. But I do not have data on the richness of the hay in S! On the other hand, even if it is poor, given the repeated and massive contributions, it will end up weighing.

d) S is an element having a complex cycle, both telluric (in the ground) and aerial. Like nitrogen. Except that there is no "stock" in the air, as is the case with nitrogen ...
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 21/11/17, 12:37

According to this COMIFER document, the export of sulfur is most important for fodder and grassland.
If the farmer has treated his fertilization, we can say that the phenoculture will not fail. http://www.comifer.asso.fr/images/pdf/1 ... OMIFER.pdf
Attachments
exportSo3vegetaux.gif
exportSo3vegetaux.gif (52.09 Kio) Viewed 2788 times
0 x
fabio.gel
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by fabio.gel » 21/11/17, 14:13

Well I must try to find hay for my garden, a mission for this winter 8)
0 x
I do my best to not leave trash world to my children ....
Did67

by Did67 » 21/11/17, 19:32

izentrop wrote:According to this COMIFER document, the export of sulfur is most important for fodder and grassland.
If the farmer has treated his fertilization, we can say that the phenoculture will not fail. http://www.comifer.asso.fr/images/pdf/1 ... OMIFER.pdf

The legend is not very clear, but everything suggests that it is a "macro" presentation in tonnes (the whole document aims to make a balance between inputs and needs, at the national level). It is therefore necessary to bring back to the surfaces of the crops in question ...

Rapeseed, as cruciferous, stands out.

However, I did not know that grasses, alfalfa, clovers had such a high need. See the table

Screen Shot 11-21-17 need Sulfur.PNG
Screen Shot 11-21-17 need Sulfur.PNG (76.54 KIO) Accessed 2756 times

Note: it is one of the interests of green manure such as mustard or clover to retain S, which in its oxidized form (sulfate) is mobile, like nitrates, and may be leached ... See mobilizing it in an organic form that makes it more assimilable ... It would be interesting to explore the question of the role of mycorrhizae in this case!
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 21/11/17, 19:33

fabio.gel wrote:Well I must try to find hay for my garden, a mission for this winter 8)

Did you look on leboncoin?

https://www.leboncoin.fr/materiel_agric ... h=1&q=Foin
0 x
fabio.gel
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by fabio.gel » 23/11/17, 13:41

Did67 wrote:
fabio.gel wrote:Well I must try to find hay for my garden, a mission for this winter 8)

Did you look on leboncoin?

https://www.leboncoin.fr/materiel_agric ... h=1&q=Foin

Very good idea Did, there is even some bio so : Wink: (Is this really valid?)

Otherwise I found a farm not too far from the house, I'll go there to see.
0 x
fabio.gel
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by fabio.gel » 25/11/17, 14:44

Did67 wrote:

Note: it is one of the interests of green manure such as mustard or clover to retain S, which in its oxidized form (sulfate) is mobile, like nitrates, and may be leached ... See mobilizing it in an organic form that makes it more assimilable ... It would be interesting to explore the question of the role of mycorrhizae in this case!

Hi Did

What do you think of Epsom Salt (magnesium sulfate) for adding sulfur
http://www.selepsom.fr/
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 25/11/17, 17:35

fabio.gel wrote:
Very good idea Did, there is even some bio so : Wink: (Is this really valid?)

Otherwise I found a farm not too far from the house, I'll go there to see.

Grassland hay Natural (areas still in grass) is "de facto" almost "organic": I have never seen a farmer treat his hay; they can fertilize it; often they bring livestock effluents, which the natural system "reworks"; sometimes a basic fertilizer, based on phosphorus or potash (often natural).

Knowing that this goes through a "stage", grass growth, I have no problem with that.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 25/11/17, 17:41

fabio.gel wrote:
Hi Did

What do you think of Epsom Salt (magnesium sulfate) for adding sulfur
http://www.selepsom.fr/

I do not have experience. I can only guess!

a) sulfate brings sulfur

b) magnesium is a useful element, present in the soil ...

I think that the ols are generally rather weakly filled, and therefore contributions must not harm ...

I therefore believe that there is little risk of adverse effects, but a high probability of favorable effects.

To be on the safe side, I would say: try several times on "trials, all other things being equal" [half of a cabbage crop with, the other without and everything else the same; observe; note] [same for beans, tomatoes, etc.].

PS: AND of course, tell us about it on the "Potager du Laesseux" !!!!
0 x