Vinegar vegetable preservation

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Did67

Re: Vinegar vegetable conservation

by Did67 » 02/10/19, 11:38

For pickles, we looked above for why some sterilized them: maybe that is an explanation ... Block the bacteria digesting pectin?
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 02/10/19, 15:52

Did67 wrote:For pickles, we looked above for why some sterilized them: maybe that is an explanation ... Block the bacteria digesting pectin?

yes but a little cooking during sterilization should also soften them a little no?

after I think that it is necessary to adapt to each vegetable its best type of conservation, for example between lactofermentation and the silo, I opt for the silo for carrots, turnips and red beets, the squash can be preserved on straw a good time, so yes it comes back to fashion, but should not forget the other modes of conservation
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 02/10/19, 17:37

Moindreffor wrote:after I think that it is necessary to adapt to each vegetable its best type of conservation, for example between lactofermentation and the silo, I opt for the silo for carrots, turnips and red beets, the squash can be preserved on straw a good time, so yes it comes back to fashion, but should not forget the other modes of conservation
Yes absolutely, for me these are just tests because it annoys me, I don't know why, to let my surplus vegetables like cucumbers rot on the spot. Same thing, I can put the damaged vegetables (peppers, ...) of which I cut the bad part and presto, in the pot! In addition it adds new flavors to my kitchen. And let's not forget that this is perhaps the simplest method (except the Nico potato technique of course!) And the most economical (we just add water and salt). Of course the silo seems to me to be a very good idea, I think I will do it one day, the ideal would even be to be able to dig a cellar, right ?!

How do you manage the squash on the straw?
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 02/10/19, 17:46

to be chafoin wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:after I think that it is necessary to adapt to each vegetable its best type of conservation, for example between lactofermentation and the silo, I opt for the silo for carrots, turnips and red beets, the squash can be preserved on straw a good time, so yes it comes back to fashion, but should not forget the other modes of conservation
Yes absolutely, for me these are just tests because it annoys me, I don't know why, to let my surplus vegetables like cucumbers rot on the spot. Same thing, I can put the damaged vegetables (peppers, ...) of which I cut the bad part and presto, in the pot! In addition it adds new flavors to my kitchen. And let's not forget that this is perhaps the simplest method (except the Nico potato technique of course!) And the most economical (we just add water and salt). Of course the silo seems to me to be a very good idea, I think I will do it one day, the ideal would even be to be able to dig a cellar, right ?!

How do you manage the squash on the straw?

you place the squash in a crate on straw in a dry place, the squash does not like too hard supports, it keeps for a long time, after not have to have kilos too : Mrgreen: for longer durations yes another method should be considered
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)