Vegetable conservation? freezing

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
A.D. 44
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Vegetable conservation? freezing

by A.D. 44 » 03/09/18, 13:30

Hello everyone,

I would like to know how you keep your vegetable production, the one you do not eat fresh.

Especially if you freeze (what and how)?

Which vegetables are suitable for freezing and do they require prior preparation (cooking, cutting ...)?

I thank you in advance for your answers from your various experiences and observations.
0 x
perseus
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Re: vegetable conservation: freezing

by perseus » 03/09/18, 14:55

Hello,

AD 44 wrote:Hello everyone,

I would like to know how you keep your vegetable production, the one you do not eat fresh.

Especially if you freeze (what and how)?

Which vegetables are suitable for freezing and do they require prior preparation (cooking, cutting ...)?

I thank you in advance for your answers from your various experiences and observations.

For my part, the vegetable garden is a pleasure, I do not think of it as a substitution (not enough time for) but I try to keep a little when the harvest is abundant or in the case of some "proust madeleine" like tomatoes. I also sometimes keep quality fruits / vegetables, bought in season from a local producer.

Freezing is only one mode of preservation among others with its advantages and disadvantages, I would not launch the debate on it. : Mrgreen:

From my personal use, vegetables such as peas, green beans and others are frozen quite well but it is better to whiten them beforehand (1 minutes in boiling salted water before going into fresh water or very fresh). No cutting except the usual preparations (tailing ...).
Potted sterilization is not bad for green beans too.
Ditto for tomatoes, according to my courage and my time: raw freezing just after having peeled and seeded - I keep the tomato water that I also freeze to feed a soup or broth by ex- or sterilization of tomato coulis, or tomato meat.
You can also make a ratatouille to sterilize in pot.
For some ripe tomatoes and little acid, I add a tablespoon of lemon juice for 0.75L tomato to sterilize (old age habit of grandparents).

A little lactic fermentation with cabbage sauerkraut. A lot of recipes are on the net, it is generally easy provided you respect the quantities and have adequate containers.
Real cellars are rare in your area but if you have the chance to have one, it also opens up possibilities.
Since last year I have preserved carrots, turnip and beetroot in small underground silos. This has given good results. I do not really see the point of freezing my carrots.

For freezing, the evacuation can be a plus.
Some fruits do not freeze too badly. Raspberry for example. Even if you can make delicious jam / jelly / coulis
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Vegetable conservation? freezing

by Moindreffor » 03/09/18, 17:00

Hello
by my time I freeze anything that I can not consume fresh, I freeze directly, in part, or I cook and I freeze, exception for the cabbage, that I freeze raw to place it then in a pot in the fire, or that I bleach to cook later, or I cook to have a ready-made dish on hand

short is also according to the available time and the physical form of the moment, but you can freeze fresh, whitened (+ or - almost cooked) or cooked

I do not sterilize in jars, my grandmother did it a lot (it's a little my madeleine Proust to me, this time canned in late summer) although some vegetables or meat gain much in taste with the passage in jar (I do not have time especially) that I regret a little.

never tested the silo for turnips, even they go to the freezer, I do not yet grow carrots or beets, but I'm tempted by the silo for these three vegetables especially the last 2 that I appreciate raw
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
A.D. 44
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by A.D. 44 » 03/09/18, 17:38

I thank you for your answers and the time devoted to their writing.

So it would not be absolutely necessary to cook (whiten) all vegetables before freezing?
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 03/09/18, 18:34

We put a lot of "preparations" in the freezer: a mixture of chopped vegetables, ready to make a soup (it's better than a bagged soup).

The silo works very well for carrots, beets and celery. This is our option.

We also freeze a "pseudo-pesto": ground basil + oil + cashew nuts in a blender; spread the dough obtained in ice cream trays, then unmold and keep in a "box" in the freezer; you take out the cubes you need ... Chopped parsley too.

Tomatoes, no freezing: it's a coulis, mixed with onions, basil, oregano ... "Universal" preparation to then make pizza or lasagna (in the oven, not in the garden!), In jars.

Salads, my main vegetable, nothing to do, !!! I try to have a production as continuous as possible, playing on all species / varieties and all ways: greenhouse, chassis, forcing ... I almost get there. Some cabbages make the junction ...

Lots of frozen red fruits to make "sorbets" with an ice machine that crushes frozen fruits ...

Green beans work well, especially if after quick defrosting with boiling water, you cook them in the pan; they are not too watery / flabby ...

[With my advances on copyright, I bought myself a mega chest freezer of over 400 l, A +++ or a little over 250 kWh / year according to standards; around forty hours of autonomy in the event of a power cut (this is the "extension" of my vegetable garden)]
0 x
A.D. 44
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by A.D. 44 » 03/09/18, 19:45

That's exactly how I envision the freezer ... An extension of the kitchen garden ... Well, what I'm considering, huh! ... because I'm only in the infancy of the very beginning of the pre-production : roll:

Another thousand thanks !!!

I compile (and preserve : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:) all these precious lessons.
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 03/09/18, 20:00

AD 44 wrote:I thank you for your answers and the time devoted to their writing.

So it would not be absolutely necessary to cook (whiten) all vegetables before freezing?

blanch the vegetables, not for example for green beans is a terrible mistake!
from freezing to boiling, and as Did a little trick to the pan

I blanch the cabbage because it is long to cook and whiten a cabbage is necessary before cooking, otherwise I do not bleach anything

I make jams, and do vinegar stuff, I do it again when I go back

one of my project, still missed this year, a tomato dryer
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 03/09/18, 21:47

the problem of the freezer is that in case of power failure we lose everything

there was at least 20 a neighbor had too much green beans ... I started to make canned glass jars ... I ate for a long time, and I kept a little to see how long it stays ... and it seems to keep perfectly: no loss

for me the freezer is for a short-term preservation ... all that can keep in sterilized jars is more safe than the freezer
0 x
perseus
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by perseus » 03/09/18, 22:52

Hello,

Did67 wrote:[...]

Lots of frozen red fruits to make "sorbets" with an ice machine that crushes frozen fruits ...

Green beans work well, especially if after quick defrosting with boiling water, you cook them in the pan; they are not too watery / flabby ...

[With my advances on copyright, I bought myself a mega chest freezer of over 400 l, A +++ or a little over 250 kWh / year according to standards; around forty hours of autonomy in the event of a power cut (this is the "extension" of my vegetable garden)]

Ha I am interested to know what you use in ice machine (PM if you prefer to avoid advertising).

For green beans I always blanched before freezing.
1 min in salted boiling water, then express in iced water.
Once dry, vacuum packing and hop.
I find the result not bad for my taste.
@+
0 x
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 04/09/18, 00:26

I believe that the freezer is the least worst solution question conservation / loss of nutritional qualities of vegetables ... the best solution is of course to eat the vegetable in the tens of minutes after harvest.

For my part, I tested different things. Vinegar for pickles: one year impeccable, the other a fiasco (the proportion of vinegar and water is essential I have the impression). Freezing: I blanch quickly, too. For the peppers, apparently we can keep them in the open air where they finish drying: this year I made a braid of Espelette peppers. This is also the case for garlic, there I was able to experience it the year I had garlic: it was extra. The potatoes, I also kept them in the simplest way possible for more than 4 months I would say, last year, in crates placed on the floor of my kitchen (house quite cool, and conservation depends on the varieties) . For the tomatoes, this year I am making canned coulis (long cooking over low heat, filling jars with lid type jam "twist off", and a few minutes sterilized in a casserole dish but we will see the result, this is the 1st year that I do this).
0 x