Anti-GM petition for a healthy farming

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Christophe

Anti-GM petition for a healthy farming

by Christophe » 02/03/07, 15:27

Dear Member of the European Parliament, Dear Member of the European Parliament,

I discovered with concern the project for a new European specification for organic farming approved by the Council of Ministers of Agriculture on December 19, 2006.
This new specification for organic farming is in many respects unacceptable and represents a real regression compared to the current specifications as defined in Regulation 2092/91:
the use of synthetic chemicals is no longer clearly prohibited;
the pollution of organic products with GMOs is tolerated there up to the 0,9% threshold (9 grams per kilo!), as for conventional agricultural products;
the development of organic, national or private specifications, stricter and more adapted to the regions than the new European 'lax' specifications, is no longer authorized.
The first two points constitute the very negation of the specificity of organic farming products! Indeed, what will still be the interest of an organic product, for the consumer, if it becomes known that it contains - like all the others - residues of pesticides and / or GMOs?

For all these reasons, I join forces with Nature & Progrès, and other associations representing the European organic sector, to demand an in-depth revision, in a more strict sense, of the draft specifications, in order to make it more in line with the expectations of consumers and organic producers.

The Agriculture Committee of the European Parliament, then the European Parliament meeting in plenary session, will be called in the coming weeks to deliver an opinion on the draft new regulation.

I hope that you will take into account the legitimate concerns of your fellow citizens when you are called upon to vote on this unacceptable text.

Please accept, Madam Member, Honorable Member, the expression of my respectful greetings.

http://www.natpro.be/Petition/php/index.php
0 x
bob_isat
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

by bob_isat » 05/02/08, 19:21

Good news:

http://fr.news.yahoo.com/afp/20080205/t ... 8aa_1.html

Nah, I'm kidding.

the GMO pro lobby is strong and our MPs are not the annoying type ...

:frown: :frown:
0 x