My lazy Picard vegetable garden

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: My lazy Picard vegetable garden

by Moindreffor » 30/01/20, 14:14

izentrop wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:
izentrop wrote:I don't have any more, but the ground is open and it comes at night. And then they are less accessible to predators than field mice or rats.
passing cats are only passing unfortunately : Mrgreen:
Several times, I found rat remains, only the tail and the liver (I believe) and also heaps of bird feathers. I think it is the work of cats, my land is still fenced. 10 cm meshes which allow rabbits and hedgehogs to pass, except for a neighbor who has put finer mesh.

I was thinking of surrounding the vegetable patch with buried fine wire mesh, but not yet done. 50 cm is enough for garennes, see less.

I regularly had garennes in my vegetable garden, but more since I have my cat, he regularly brings them in the house, more or less consumed, even still alive, what cats leave is the gallbladder it seems
I had my rave celery eaten by voles in 2018 harvest in early November, I harvested earlier in 2019 and there were no attacks, however I had it on my potatoes and there it was in season but quite negligible, and my escaroles had their roots cut also this year, but still in November so I think there is a period during which having root vegetables in the ground is risky

I too think of burying wire mesh for the escarole, but finally I think rather to consume my escarole before November and leave on endives of lamb's lettuce and dandelions for the salad in winter
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
eclectron
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by eclectron » 30/01/20, 16:08

At one time I got into permaculture.
culture on bute (hole, pile of wood covered with earth from the hole)
BRF on the mounds and on the areas left flat.
So not really the lazy vegetable garden ... : Lol:

The attackers who are slugs (1 liter of slugs every night ...) and field mice have found a kingdom ... : Lol: : Lol: : Lol:

Faced with these disappointments, I came to the conclusion that the vegetable garden is not a natural environment.

Especially since the natural environment around is unbalanced. (bye bye hedgehogs etc ..)

As I'm still in a lazy mood, I "bunker" in culture tanks for what is fragile as long as I have the energy to do so.
for later, be lazy.

For pdt for example or what is transplanted large, it resists in the ground.
So I don't bunker everything, far from it, I adapt to the case by case.
1 x
whatever.
We will try the 3 posts per day max
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 30/01/20, 19:25

Third that I catch at the exit of the same hole, with the same hazelnut. If there are sensitive souls, I would remove the image.
I am trying to save what I have left of artichokes, especially since this year I bought 2 feet of F1, more vigorous than my Gros vert de Laon. They also produced the first year of planting.
IMG_20200130_164618.jpg
IMG_20200130_164618.jpg (137.83 KB) Viewed times 5751

Moindreffor, my rodents did not stop in November and they seem particularly voracious :x

My apples, this year, not that great, because of the drought, a lot of little ones that I left at the robins. They ripen in November, but they took longer than usual, many fell before ripening. They are hard colar which resist blows well, but have enormously rotted in the cellar.
IMG_20200130_164042.jpg
IMG_20200130_164042.jpg (254.64 KB) Viewed times 5751
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 31/01/20, 08:56

I think this year you were really generous with your pests and a mild winter did the rest
because if the robins eat apples your voles do the same

I think that at my place, from the beginning of November the food in the wild places must be exhausted and that then they approach the vegetable garden, but the population must be reasonable, you you are breeding in mass : Mrgreen:
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 31/01/20, 10:14

Well until a week ago, we had breakfast with the spectacle of thirty blackbirds bustling under the apple tree.

My arms fell out when the rodents quickly devoured the carrots that I had carefully transplanted in a row of onions in my greenhouse, JM Fortier method.

I let things get worse not knowing how to fight. I didn't want poison. Catching them in a cage to release them elsewhere is to assure them of certain death, a poisoned gift to other gardeners or a comeback. :frown:

Now that I have the technique, I won't be overwhelmed. :)

Interesting to loosen very clay soil like mine which has already improved a lot with the OM provided.
0 x
Gardenerof54
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Gardenerof54 » 08/05/21, 09:41

Hello, so for this year 2020 you had a lot of damage? Has rodent hunting been prolific? I have already spotted a few holes in what should soon be my vegetable garden, so it's a bit scary.
0 x