My kitchen garden of the least effort

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: My kitchen garden of the least effort

by Moindreffor » 09/08/21, 23:06

GuyGadeboisLeRetour wrote:Ah that's for sure. Jerusalem artichoke is the raw material of the pétomane!

my dad grew some of it, it seems cooking it with baking soda makes it more harmless, can you confirm? or is it still a legend?
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 09/08/21, 23:14

Moindreffor wrote:
GuyGadeboisLeRetour wrote:Ah that's for sure. Jerusalem artichoke is the raw material of the pétomane!

my dad grew some of it, it seems cooking it with baking soda makes it more harmless, can you confirm? or is it still a legend?

No idea !
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 09/08/21, 23:37

GuyGadeboisLeRetour wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:

No idea !
too bad, I like the taste of artichoke, but less collateral damage
0 x
(of me)
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 10/08/21, 00:35

Moindreffor wrote:

:?: :?: :?: I do not understand, yet I have Jerusalem artichoke in the garden, I cook it, and yet no damage. Either I'm kind of harmless, or I'm really good at it, but what the hell is this? I was really not aware
0 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 10/08/21, 00:39

Doris wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:

:?: :?: :?: I do not understand, yet I have Jerusalem artichoke in the garden, I cook it, and yet no damage. Either I'm kind of harmless, or I'm really good at it, but what the hell is this? I was really not aware

No gas with potatoes in the cooking water

First foolproof tip: eat raw Jerusalem artichoke. It will not generate any wind. And it is excellent grated in a salad, seasoned with walnut oil and apple cider vinegar.

But if you prefer to eat it cooked, there are more or less effective ways to neutralize the production of farts. One of the safest is to cook these choppy roots with a few potatoes. Jerusalem artichoke is rich in inulin, a carbohydrate close to starch. However, some people have difficulty absorbing it due to the lack of enzymes allowing it to be assimilated. The potato, which has this enzyme lacking in Jerusalem artichokes, is therefore welcome in the cooking water.

Some prefer to introduce baking soda in this water (1/2 teaspoon per 2 liters). Others add sage to Jerusalem artichokes.

http://amaparis19.over-blog.com/article-26282239.html
1 x
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 10/08/21, 00:47

And there you go, well according to I cook it with potato, mystery solved
2 x
Edmond Rostand
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 10/08/21, 14:57

Doris wrote:And there you go, well according to I cook it with potato, mystery solved

So you don't have a super heroine armored gut

in any case thank you to Guy, for having found the trick (and for the raw version) and to you Doris for the confirmation, I will therefore be able to recultivate this vegetable, there is more than to find the plant
0 x
(of me)
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 11/08/21, 00:31

Moindreffor wrote:So you don't have a super heroine armored gut

I believed in it for a moment, but no, no super heroine magic, just vulgar potatoes in the cooking water .... what a disappointment : Mrgreen:
0 x
Edmond Rostand
Did67

by Did67 » 11/08/21, 13:07

Jerusalem artichoke, like artichokes, forms another "slow sugar" than starch: inulin. What gives this characteristic taste ...

And this sugar, our body is not very good at digesting it (breaking it down into small pieces capable of passing through the small intestine). So it ends up in the colon, where it takes the beautiful days of bacteria that feast, ferment all that, form some gases ... And here is our microbiota in great shape! And we are embarrassed by these gases which bloat us !!!

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inuline

Resolve to the idea that farting is good for you. I still have a memory of my parents' country doctor when I was a young child, an old-fashioned doctor, and who, as a prerequisite for his diagnosis, asked my mother very nicely: "Does he have any problems? winds? "...

But hey, it's obvious, since not farting forces you to squeeze your ass, and when you squeeze your ass, you are a little pinched ...
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 11/08/21, 13:26

GuyGadeboisLeRetour wrote:
The potato, which has this enzyme lacking in Jerusalem artichokes, is therefore welcome in the cooking water.

This part at least does not stand up: the earthenware does not have any digestive enzyme (in the sense of digestion in our body; it "dismantles" the starch to make its own cells function for example during germination, this which causes a potato to shrivel up and become sweeter, but these enzymes specific to the physiology of the potato do not work once they have passed cooking and the human stomach) !!!

It is our saliva and digestive juices from the intestine that "reduce" food ... So what our body produces. Bacteria (see soft rot above) do the same. Ditto for mushrooms.

In any case, a food does not self-digest !!!

Moreover, enzymes being proteins, after cooking, they would be destroyed and would no longer act! Fortunately our body produces them at 37 ° and uses them at this temperature !!!

After that, I doubt that amylase (thus the name of the enzyme which digests starch and which "knows" how to cut glucose-glucose bonds of a certain type which end in starch; the glucose-glucose bonds of another type give cellulose, which is not digested!) digests inulin !!! Very highly unlikely.

So what is written (the extract) does not hold water for a single second!

It always pains me to see that people who know nothing about it spread such nonsense with aplomb ... But hey, it's (their problem, not mine.
0 x