My kitchen garden of the least effort

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: My kitchen garden of the least effort

by Moindreffor » 09/01/21, 20:45

Did67 wrote:Ethylene is in this case a plant hormone. Which induces bud dormancy. I don't know how long this "dormancy" lasts ??? I imagine it depends on the dose, how long the "treatment" lasts, and how long it has been applied ...

What happens in an "axillary" bud (the one in the axils of the leaves): it is "blocked", until the part of the stem above is removed. When it is removed, the bud (s) start (s) ...

Organic uses products from "factories" if they are identical to natural products. Suffers it, they don't go looking for it in the fumaroles of volcanoes. Copper sulfate, I doubt they will find it in nature (since it is soluble) ....

I therefore suppose that the effect of ethylene must persist a little, but not too much I hope after my technique in the water, leave the potato in contact with nothing, except for the part in the water and therefore the 'effect must persist longer, that's why I'm going to try another technique: a potato planted in potting soil, then all the potato will be in contact with a living environment and I will be able to keep the environment more humid, to test therefore

another question, is that for the sprouts that form on the sweet potato, we are in the same situation as on a potato germ, that is to say that once a few leaves have formed, if I cut this part while keeping a little tuber and that the place in the ground there exists at the feet of this germ become leaf of the departures of roots?
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 10/01/21, 10:15

Moindreffor wrote:
I therefore suppose that the effect of ethylene must persist a little, but not too much I hope after my technique in the water, leave the potato in contact with nothing, except for the part in the water and therefore the 'effect must persist longer, that's why I'm going to try another technique: a potato planted in potting soil, then all the potato will be in contact with a living environment and I will be able to keep the environment more humid, to test therefore

another question, is that for the sprouts that form on the sweet potato, we are in the same situation as on a potato germ, that is to say that once a few leaves have formed, if I cut this part while keeping a little tuber and that the place in the ground there exists at the feet of this germ become leaf of the departures of roots?

1) It's probably a little more complicated. Ethylene induces dormancy. But it is not certain that it rises immediately after "evaporation" of the ethylene ... I do not know the mechanism. So I do not know. But obviously, the pdt treated with anti-germinatives remain dormant for some time, in the stores then in the cellar ...

2) When it germinates in time, I cut the sprouts from the potato and the "cuttings" in water. It takes root very quickly in the hot (20 ° C minimum). And so many suckers from a single potato, I can make ten plants. At the cost of 15 days / 3 additional weeks late. I just detach, savagely by tearing.
0 x
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 10/01/21, 10:31

Moindreffor wrote:another question, is that for the sprouts that form on the sweet potato, we are in the same situation as on a potato germ, that is to say that once a few leaves have formed, if I cut this part while keeping a little tuber and that the place in the ground there exists at the feet of this germ become leaf of the departures of roots?

You have both, all along the stem there are possible root departures:
IMG_20210110_100959_4.jpg

At a more advanced stage, the roots start, and the stem can be layered:

IMG_20210110_101851_8.jpg
1 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
Did67

by Did67 » 10/01/21, 10:41

Doris wrote:
You have both, all along the stem there are possible root departures:
IMG_20210110_100959_4.jpg

Here, me, I tear off these shoots already before, they then very quickly form roots in the water.

There, we can pull up and put in potting soil to continue to "raise" them warm.
0 x
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 10/01/21, 12:21

Here is the Landes chicory:
IMG_20210110_120440_6.jpg

In 2020 it was just an essay without much conviction or great hope. But then the taste being really great, we are going to get a complete line. Homemade endives have an incomparable taste.
2 x
Edmond Rostand
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 10/01/21, 14:38

Doris wrote:Here is the Landes chicory:
IMG_20210110_120440_6.jpg
In 2020 it was just an essay without much conviction or great hope. But then the taste being really great, we are going to get a complete line. Homemade endives have an incomparable taste.

really TOP, on the other hand I do not know what you put above the root, the part where the chicory will develop, it seems to me but not 100% certain that the more compact it is, the more compact the chicory will be , I put straw, I did not yet know the use of hay : Mrgreen:

and if not you have the diameter of your roots? to see what I have had in the past, the size of a very nice carrot, when you come to touch your thumb with your middle finger, well after that depends on the size of your hand : Mrgreen:

and last tip do not cut the root too much at harvest, try to cut just a little above the first leaves or just at this level you should have a second harvest what we call here endivettes
0 x
(of me)
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 10/01/21, 15:25

My roots were small, far removed from what I have seen on the internet, and less than what you would call the size of a beautiful carrot. That's why I'm going to try to seed them earlier this year. I started sowing at the end of May I think, at least at the end of the period indicated on the bag of seeds, and I sowed in a terrine, and then I was late in transplanting. Everything was fine until about July XNUMXth, it was not yet too hot, the nights were cool, but after all vegetated for two months, and resumed its development only at the end of September. This year I'm trying both ways, terrine and live, but above all I'm going to start much earlier.
Regarding the compaction: according to the videos of the workers' brotherhood I have two errors. I did not put enough soil and it was a little too hot at home in the cellar. If I had known that we were going to get cold like this, I would have waited, but hey. With this cold snap, my cellar cooled off, so it's all good for the second harvest. Normally I should have some, harvesting it I could see a little green, as when harvesting the roots. (And I still have roots in the vegetable garden, but not much).
0 x
Edmond Rostand
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 10/01/21, 21:39

so there yes you did it really too late, it is a sowing which can be done directly in the ground mid-April at the beginning of May, you thin out and then you transplant the surplus. I am going to opt for sowing in terrine and transplanting, so sowing in March, early April for transplanting as soon as it is the right size.

by putting this in the vegetable garden very early you will have an acceptable development before the dry and hot weather, and you will have the rebound from mid-August here, I do not know about you

for forcing, two solutions, prepare all your buckets and keep them cool, and return warm according to your needs, or prepare as you go, keeping the roots in the vegetable garden or in a silo

especially keep in the dark, be careful a black garbage bag will surely not be enough if it is too thin, at least double it or choose thick rubble or garden bag style

when picking it is sometimes useful to remove the root from the earth if you cannot easily cut just at the base to hope for the formation of endivettes
0 x
(of me)
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 11/01/21, 08:00

Moindreffor wrote:so there yes you did it really too late, it is a sowing which can be done directly in the ground mid-April at the beginning of May, you thin out and then you transplant the surplus. I am going to opt for sowing in terrine and transplanting, so sowing in March, early April for transplanting as soon as it is the right size.

Yes I know, I started too late, it was a whim, having seen the price of endives in the spring go up to 8,50 per kilo, I too embarked on this rush. gold : Cheesy:
But while everyone took me for a chocoholic, as if I were going to set up a banana plantation in the Kerguelen Islands, the test was conclusive, in terms of taste, and also in terms of size, even medium roots give a good result.
This year I programmed my endive sowing a bit like you, but I would certainly take a month in advance, it will depend on the weather. In summer it takes two good months, when things will stagnate, I would rather have the rebound from mid-September.
0 x
Edmond Rostand
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 11/01/21, 15:40

Doris wrote:having seen endive prices in the spring rise to 8,50 per kilo, I too embarked on this gold rush : Cheesy:
But while everyone took me for a chocoholic, as if I were going to set up a banana plantation in the Kerguelen Islands

at the moment, the chicory season is high, € 6 per 5 kg, or € 1,20 per kg, it is less the rush for white gold good must also be said that I am in a region of production of roots and endives

in Reims more than 25 years ago, an underground car park had been transformed into endivie, in the middle of the towers
0 x
(of me)