My kitchen garden of the least effort

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: My kitchen garden of the least effort

by Moindreffor » 07/01/21, 15:30

Did67 wrote:
phil53 wrote:My experience from last season.
Between the ends placed on the ground, the potatoes put in a glass of water in January and then in hot February, there was no germination or they hardly really started at the end of February with better success in water.
I'm even beginning to doubt that water is necessary, like a potato they must sprout spontaneously. Or can it be placed on warm moist earth?
I bought the tubers in a supermarket that wasn't even organic.

I would be tempted to say:

a) there is enough water in the potato to feed the germs ...

b) the potato is dormant; that seems to me the first factor - being tropical, the cold should not play (or little)

c) the potato is very sensitive to temperature: I think that + 25 ° C optimizes germination

d) no doubt that a little humidity in the environment is another signal that the potato could perceive - I think a very slightly damp soil pot is the easiest way; it is a natural "buffer" ...

I opted for a jar with water placed on the radiator cover it's hotter than last year
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 07/01/21, 15:33

The "organic" does not prohibit anti-germination, provided they are "natural". You can not stop progress !

ttps: //www.arvalis-infos.fr/de-nouveaux ... ticle.html
1 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 07/01/21, 15:42

Did67 wrote:The "organic" does not prohibit anti-germination, provided they are "natural". You can not stop progress !

It's not new (2010 and 2011). If not, do you have anything against ethylene and mint oil? : Cheesy:
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 07/01/21, 16:04

My answer was "contextualized": it was a question of knowing if the potato, because "organic", will "automatically" germinate. Or if it may have been treated with anti-germinators and germinate late, if at all.

It may therefore have been treated! But it is not sure (to my knowledge, no obligation to indicate it).

That's all ... It's just to find out. Moindreffor will tell us whether it will have germinated in time. Or not...

I had both situations: in 2019, good germination fairly quickly (well 5 or 6 weeks anyway); in 2020, it was sluggish ... With organic "to eat" potatoes ...

Why always reason in "for" or "against". Are you a bit binary ??? A simple info, which is neither "for" or "cutter, does not make sense to you? Just to know?
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 07/01/21, 16:19

Did67 wrote:Why always reason in "for" or "against". Are you a bit binary ??? A simple info, which is neither "for" or "cutter, does not make sense to you? Just to know?

I put a smiley : Cheesy: ... Actually it's just to know what you think. If you're interested, I prefer (1 times more) ethylene and peppermint oil to the dangerous crap in use now (chlorpropham).
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 07/01/21, 16:22

Did67 wrote:The "organic" does not prohibit anti-germination, provided they are "natural". You can not stop progress !

ttps: //www.arvalis-infos.fr/de-nouveaux ... ticle.html

that's funny, the chemists make the identical to the natural and the "organic" the natural identical to the synthetic like what ...

we will see for my sweet potato, I will try to find others and multiply the tests
0 x
(of me)
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 07/01/21, 17:31

Moindreffor wrote:it's funny that, chemists are identical to natural and "organic" naturalness identical to synthetic like what...

Sorry ?
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 07/01/21, 18:08

GuyGadeboisLeRetour wrote:
I put a smiley : Cheesy: ... Actually it's just to know what you think. If you're interested, I prefer (1 times more) ethylene and peppermint oil to the dangerous crap in use now (chlorpropham).

There are things in "organic" dogmas that annoy me. Copper, certain natural insecticides, etc. Intensive tillage of course.

But I am not "against" - I prefer "organic", except when it is a pure juice scam, bobology to bang your head against the wall.

Ethylene acts at extremely low levels and is really "in nature" ... Nothing against its use in a cold room, at these doses.

Ditto for mint oil. I have used Ricqles for a long time as an "anti-pump" - I have never found better. Young, I was able to hold, without hallucinating, twenty days non-stop with only 4 or 5 hours of rest, it is according to ... I will not be "against" today.

I'm not against the 501 either - I'm not at all convinced that it helps; I am far too lazy to follow such a ritual any more than I go to mass on Sunday or that I bite hosts (I prefer salted chips! Not good at all, so I forbid myself!) but if I find it of the Demeter label at a price that is not that of diamonds, I take ...
1 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 07/01/21, 18:25

GuyGadeboisLeRetour wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:it's funny that, chemists are identical to natural and "organic" naturalness identical to synthetic like what...

Sorry ?

let's say that using ethylene which will then probably be a synthetic product as an "organic" anti-germinative, I find it funny, because when a chemical disturbs it is shot straight away, but when a chemical product can be useful we do not do not deprive

so here we use synthetic identical to natural : Mrgreen:

but if my sweet potato does not germinate, in the absence of ethylene, since it is no longer in a cold room, it begs the question, does ethylene or mint oil destroy germs? or only inhibits germination while it is present?
0 x
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 08/01/21, 09:52

Ethylene is in this case a plant hormone. Which induces bud dormancy. I don't know how long this "dormancy" lasts ??? I imagine it depends on the dose, how long the "treatment" lasts, and how long it has been applied ...

What happens in an "axillary" bud (the one in the axils of the leaves): it is "blocked", until the part of the stem above is removed. When it is removed, the bud (s) start (s) ...

Organic uses products from "factories" if they are identical to natural products. Suffers it, they don't go looking for it in the fumaroles of volcanoes. Copper sulfate, I doubt they will find it in nature (since it is soluble) ....
1 x