My kitchen garden of the least effort

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Did67

Re: My kitchen garden of the least effort

by Did67 » 07/08/20, 15:21

No, not the melon (I hope).

I maintain that in general, and there is no allusion to the sites you cite, I am wary of information on the net. A priori, I doubt!

In general, always, I try to cross-check by "going back to the source" (for example a research having highlighted the fact in question: very often, one realizes that the scientific article or the thesis is much more nuanced that the exegesis then make of it by news sites! Or "contextualizes" the answer given, often with a reduced scope).

For toxicities, I consult poison control centers.

And so I come to the conclusion that the info seems reliable or credible to me.

Poison control centers are rarely inclined to tell stories when they do information that have fallen out of the blue ... If only for reasons of responsibility. Other sites, they sometimes look less and nab unverified info on the net [look at composting, presented almost everywhere as "obvious", including on sites of information on "natural gardening" "] ...

So the real wording, I'm sorry, should have been: "... which I consider reliable".

Where you are 100% right, is that I searched the sites of poison control centers of veterinary schools, on which I had checked the info, towards this one, of the APSANA, which does not is not one (anti-poison center), which I put the link!

So the real source, read before posting:

https://www.centre-antipoison-animal.com/oignon.html

[which I personally consider to be very reliable - it is indeed a poison control center linked to a veterinary school; of course, as some dispute the vaccinations or what is written about the Covid, it is allowed to challenge both the poison centers and these veterinary schools - so elitist!]

The one I put the link to, I got trapped when returning to my explorer to nab the address, when I saw this (the Veterinary Schools cited under the title):

2020-08-07_15h01_34 Apsana.png
2020-08-07_15h01_34 Apsana.png (25.18 KiB) Viewed 1309 times

And there, you are right, I do not give it, a priori, more credit than those which you mentioned.

In this case, they are all right. But I preferred to check. And you're right: the wording of my answer and the way I chained the ideas were ambiguous!
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 07/08/20, 15:29

Again, no hard feelings!
It's just that I don't feel like I'm used to quoting "folk" links, and your first sentence was a bit hard to swallow from this point of view (especially since you had deleted the source cited, which was that of a veterinary establishment, with values ​​on toxic doses, ..etc ...).
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 07/08/20, 15:43

Yes. Sometimes I'm too speedy and go too fast! And I am not formulating correctly. In my mind, I never questioned. Correct: this is amazing info (because not known). As always in this case, I check what type of source is taking the info. Verification done, I am convinced that this info is reliable ...

[Shave yourself: I check or look for sources of lots of info; For example, I looked for, without finding, the info Hervé Coves talks about about a dead radioactive mouse and we found radioactivity in mushrooms a few tens (hundreds, I don't remember) of meters. Not that a priori I am suspicious of Covès ...]

Come on, sorry, for causing so much confusion!
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 08/08/20, 09:21

sicetaitsimple wrote:For Moindreffor, I am copying here a post published on "Le Potager du super-laesseux dans le 04", to be sure that you see it:

by sicetaitsimple »07/08/20, 12:17 PM

Moindreffor wrote:
Note for my watering coach, with that, I water with pleasure and without fatigue, just the hose a little too short, I have to buy an extension to go to the end of the garden : Mrgreen: I put a good layer of it in the onions, but the poor are my dog's delight eating the leaves, and the birds have covered another part, so I don't rely on the yields to draw conclusions, but on the size of a few bulbs, the red ones seem to have suffered less

Perfect!
But be careful with your dog, the onion is poisonous:

https://www.fregis.com/urgence/intoxica ... aux-chien /

and loads of other sources, I took this one at random.

Edit: the copied / pasted corrupted the source. It's this one:
https://www.fregis.com/urgence/intoxica ... aux-chien/

thank you for the info, anyway I have to reinforce the access, she hijacked all those I had set up, because the chases with the cat in the vegetable garden are not great either
afterwards I don't know if she eats them, but she cuts the onion tails, suddenly afterwards they grow much less well ...
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 11/08/20, 17:25

good bad news for the late transplanting trial of onions, either the dog, or the piafs, or both, in short there are not many candidates for the shoot left, but they had resumed so I think they would have developed, the bulbs will remain under the hay perhaps a regrowth? We'll see

I had observed the same phenomenon with my white onions transplanted in autumn, suddenly it will be put in place of a physical protection, protection type of that of Didier, against birds, but strong enough to resist the bitch : Mrgreen:

I will try to save the last

otherwise the first harvest of tomatoes, Montfavet and cherries, enough to make one or two salads and a small aperitif, which is much better than last year, given what is left on the feet, an eggplant on a plant Personally, which is also good news, one of the plants transplanted last, however, but in a most fertile part with a thick layer of hay, it has almost doubled in size, while the others, transplanted instead of leeks as for Julienmos, well not really terrible, we will wait until the end of the heatwave to add a little urinary fertilizer, we should not grill rather than fertilize : Mrgreen:
0 x
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 11/08/20, 17:40

Moindreffor wrote:
the bulbs will stay under the hay maybe a regrowth? We'll see

More than likely! But at the cost of a relative partial "exhaustion" of the bulb reserves!
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 12/08/20, 08:51

Did67 wrote:
Moindreffor wrote: the bulbs will stay under the hay maybe a regrowth? We'll see

More than likely! But at the cost of a relative partial "exhaustion" of the bulb reserves!

I am no longer counting on regrowth for next year, or at the end of autumn with the return of the rains
0 x
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 12/08/20, 09:13

Next year, they will go to seed quite quickly (vernalisation). The bulb will become fibrous.

I hope (I'm pretty sure) that they will grow again as soon as conditions become favorable again (humidity). And when the cold weather arrives, I would harvest them as they are ... Except two or three to produce seeds (but beware: allogams! It is rare that there are many different varieties that bloom within a radius of 500 m or 1 km; in general, in neighboring gardens, people collect and redeem seeds or bulbils). And attract insects.
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 12/08/20, 13:01

Did67 wrote:Next year, they will go to seed quite quickly (vernalisation). The bulb will become fibrous.

I hope (I'm pretty sure) that they will grow again as soon as conditions become favorable again (humidity). And when the cold weather arrives, I would harvest them as they are ... Except two or three to produce seeds (but beware: allogams! It is rare that there are many different varieties that bloom within a radius of 500 m or 1 km; in general, in neighboring gardens, people collect and redeem seeds or bulbils). And attract insects.

it will be the great unknown, we will see : Mrgreen:
but not unhappy with this semi test, even if I did not transplant from time to time, I sowed white onions, it grows very very little, I also kept some bulbils of those sown the year last and not transplanted, because too few had risen, which developed very, very little in their terrine, I consumed the largest, and kept these few bulbils that I will plant before winter and that I would harvest early by leaving what to do with the seed, I finished the package

on the other hand my leek plant left to make seed, is still there, it has flowered the seeds are forming, but still not good to harvest, him being a true regional, when the seeds will fall naturally, would not he like not say that it is only time to sow the leek? or do we sow a little earlier to have bigger plants? the plant, it does not care to have a big barrel right?
0 x
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 12/08/20, 18:10

Nature is not in an annual rhythm. They produce thousands / millions of seeds. And sows them. They will rise. Or not.

We must reason "in balance": a leek foot is replaced by a foot, in fine. When you see the number of seeds, you realize the enormous "mess" (from a human point of view). In reality, there is something for everyone ... The seed eaters too ... And there is a competition, from which the "best" (the most suited to the place) will emerge victorious in the long term. ).

This is not a good "method" for a gardener. I'm afraid he's going crazy!
0 x