My kitchen garden of the least effort

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: My kitchen garden of the least effort

by Moindreffor » 11/05/20, 19:49

Doris wrote:Here, between Sunday night and today early afternoon, 90 mm of rain, enormous, it is more than between the end of January and the end of April (no lesser, I have no Marseille origins , none, really not).

no I saw on the news, the moors it was you who had taken the most expensive, too much at once it is not much better it can harm, I remember the damage of last year following a downpour of hail, peppers, tomatoes, broken eggplant, pierced zucchini leaves
I just ask what is needed and as Ahmed says at night if possible
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 11/05/20, 23:30

Ah yes, there we were watered. And again, at my house no hail (but 45 minutes by car, there was). In these cases, we say, sandy soil is good.
0 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
Did67

by Did67 » 12/05/20, 08:59

Finally, it stopped around 30 mm ...

And this morning, - 2 ° C outside !!!
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 12/05/20, 10:21

Did67 wrote:Finally, it stopped around 30 mm ...

you could almost extend your video on the difficulty of making plants,
with me the seedlings, it continues to grow in the terrine, the experience taken on by a lot of vegetables, will therefore be profitable for the next year, but not useless for this year, the delay may not be so great in the end as that
0 x
(of me)
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 12/05/20, 10:35

This big disturbance protected us from a freeze, but we had a clear cooling. I observe a lot the slowdown and the acceleration of my young plants, it is instructive for the future but also for the rest of this year. For example, I have three groups of tomato seedlings, each set one month apart. The first group, raised in the warm at night just out the day, is completely out of the race, since the feet are in the ground, growth has further accelerated, the prettiest feet are more than a meter. Second and third group, still outside, protected, but nothing more, having undergone variations in heat and cooler weather, are not far from the same point. Some beet seedlings in the ground quickly germinated and sprouted, and slowed down a lot.
0 x
Edmond Rostand
Paul72
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Paul72 » 12/05/20, 10:50

Doris wrote:This big disturbance protected us from a freeze, but we had a clear cooling. I observe a lot the slowdown and the acceleration of my young plants, it is instructive for the future but also for the rest of this year. For example, I have three groups of tomato seedlings, each set one month apart. The first group, raised in the warm at night just out the day, is completely out of the race, since the feet are in the ground, growth has further accelerated, the prettiest feet are more than a meter. Second and third group, still outside, protected, but nothing more, having undergone variations in heat and cooler weather, are not far from the same point. Some beet seedlings in the ground quickly germinated and sprouted, and slowed down a lot.

this is also where the pile of hay on the ground plays its role of thermal regulator: the soil remains lukewarm, growth can continue as long as there is sun, even if the temperature is low. I see this on my tomatoes, no stopping growth. even the melons grow in their hay cocoon !!
0 x
I'm allergic to idiots: sometimes I even get a cough.
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 12/05/20, 15:51

Did67 wrote:Finally, it stopped around 30 mm ...

little trip to the vegetable patch this afternoon, the spontaneous potato leavening is cooked, so here too it must have frozen well, but not seen I got up late, confinement requires, I don't have much to do by resting, it's good I need it badly
0 x
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 12/05/20, 17:00

At my house too !

Even the cabbages are not quite dashing anymore! It must be said that after the drought, they "swelled" with water yesterday - just the opposite of what they would have had to do to resist the cold (concentrate the cellular juices!). Taken against the grain, by the weather.

My Tagetes too, laminated. Just like amaranth!

And in the frame one or two peppers (the larger ones - another counter-intuition: we think that the larger plants resist the best; it's the opposite! You should never "think in place of plants like us one would think "- they walk upside down mammals).

The tomatoes had been reconfigured in the living room !!!

Perhaps also damage not yet visible on the flowers of strawberries or raspberries ... We drink if it darkens in the days to come!

Note: no, plants do not know !!!! It was the spontaneous potatoes! Too early, the connes. Couldn't think a little, these connes? The ones I had planted were late. So still under faith (within two feet, who were pointing!) Thank you who ??? Thank you lazy gardener!

About :

Be careful not to reason the effect of hay "through":

a) like any insulator, hay slows the heating of the ground
b) but it is the soil which at night warms the lower layers of the atmosphere!
c) so, underground, yes, hay "maintains" a warmer soil ...
d) ... but the plants that have pierced are PLUS (of +) exposed, because the heat being maintained in the soil, the lower layers of the atmosphere cool more (or are less warmed, it's how you want !).
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 12/05/20, 17:18

the landscaper came to mow, I emptied the mowing of his trailer, suddenly half of the vegetable garden is covered with a generous layer of mowing, long live the free MO delivered there was more than to spread, top laziness : Mrgreen:
0 x
(of me)
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 12/05/20, 17:35

Did67 wrote:
Note: no, plants do not know !!!! It was the spontaneous potatoes! Too early, the connes. Couldn't think a little, these connes? The ones I had planted were late. So still under faith (within two feet, who were pointing!) Thank you who ??? Thank you lazy gardener!

Here I was lucky, but I was worried anyway: although last night it refreshed as advertised but without danger of frost, today contrary to forecasts it did not get up and the wind remained northeast, not hot at all. I have already been at the point of organizing myself to shelter the chills, but for an hour and a half or so the wind has changed and the weather becomes very mild again. Ouff! I had a plan b for a late freeze, but there would still have been a little breakage, because no, the plants do not know, they bet and when they make the same choice as the gardener, and that it was not the right one, it only remains to yell at the gardener: she had the possibility of being more careful. Finally, it's passed, from tomorrow the temperatures go up, logically it's good now ......
0 x
Edmond Rostand