My vegetable garden lazy north of Toulouse

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
lily 31
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

My vegetable garden lazy north of Toulouse

by lily 31 » 28/04/17, 23:33

It's decided I am embarking on phenoculture, a week ago I covered my garden with hay. Now is not a good time November would have been better but "better late than never"
6 x
Colinot
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

Re: My vegetable garden in the north of Toulouse

by Colinot » 29/04/17, 00:46

Lily 31 wrote:It's decided I am embarking on phenoculture, a week ago I covered my garden with hay. Now is not a good time November would have been better but "better late than never"

Bonsoir
Me too (western suburbs of Toulouse) I covered, 15 days ago, my hay garden areas, as recommended by Didier ... I was seduced by the method and after seeing all his videos (I'm currently going to read the conversations of the forum...) I started, n being more young, I had abandoned the cultivation of the kitchen garden for 2 years and no longer having to handle the spade I like a lot.
I've already planted onions and soon summer vegetables ...
0 x
lily 31
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by lily 31 » 29/04/17, 09:29

Welcome, it's great we can trade, same region, climate certainly not the same land ... maybe other people from the region will join us? !!
Just like you my garden is more or less abandoned for a few years because of lack of energy, worries with my back, I mulched my garden with thin layer mowing and straw in summer to protect my land adventis and hardeurs of the sun ...
Some photos to illustrate my beginnings
IMG_0001.JPG
general view of a part my vegetable garden is against my house

IMG_0006.JPG
view from below

IMG_0036.JPG
red fruit (black currant), artichokes, some asparagus and potatoes that were not picked up last year ....

IMG_0041.JPG
the potatoes that leave

I have some molehills with fine soil, I am tempted to recover the land to do some sowing, I would like to have opinions if Didier goes through there!
IMG_0005.JPG

IMG_0025.JPG
IMG_0025.JPG
2 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 29/04/17, 09:49

Has the dog been chosen so that its coat matches the color of the mulch, or is it the opposite? : Lol:

The molehill earth is convenient for what you are considering ...
1 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Colinot
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Colinot » 29/04/17, 12:09

Super!
Here are some pictures of my hay covered areas last week.
Tonight I will transplant 50 leeks and for summer vegetables I will wait for next week because I find that it is still a little too cold, moreover, as the earth is covered, the soil must be still a little cool .. .
See you soon
Attachments
IMG_5205.JPG
IMG_5204.JPG
IMG_5203.JPG
IMG_5222.JPG
IMG_5221.JPG
IMG_5220.JPG
2 x
Did67

by Did67 » 29/04/17, 21:16

Lily 31 wrote:
I would like to have opinions if Didier goes through there!

I pass ... When I see "Potager du Laesseux", I always stop by to see what's going on!

The molehill soil is "naturally" as if sifted ... It has only one small drawback: it is rich in weed seeds ... So expect to have to weed with your little fingers, carefully, around the plants ...

Oh, and see if it's moles and not the vole. The first is almost harmless for vegetables, it is a carnivore (worm eaters, in particular) ... Even if it can happen to cut a root that blocks its progression ... The second a formidable eater of vegetables rootstocks (and tree roots and fruit shrubs, which may die) ...

The "molehills" do not stand out. There would be a difference in the inclination of the holes (the mole making vertical holes under the mole hill and the vole a hole "tilted" at about 45 °). But I was never too successful in making a difference. It's not the damage that I distinguish them.

Both seem to coexist. Quite exactly, I suspect the vole squats galleries made by moles ... and to release it. When we trap the vole, at the end, once we caught them all (but we do not know it - last year, in the same hole, I caught 7 voles, then a mole), he I happened to catch, unfortunately, a mole ...
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 29/04/17, 21:26

Colinot wrote:Here are some pictures of my hay covered areas last week.
Tonight I will transplant 50 leeks and for summer vegetables I will wait for next week because I find that it is still a little too cold, moreover, as the earth is covered, the soil must be still a little cool .. .
See you soon

For info: I am not at all "fan" of borders, which I think are a refuge for slugs, but also, when they are not "flat", an obstacle for certain auxiliaries, such as ground beetles. , whose ecological niche is the meadow. I prefer grassy paths, short in relation to the border, mowed ... I think that it makes a more natural "continuity", as it exists in nature ... Even if it is less "clear", less "anthropized" ...
0 x
lily 31
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by lily 31 » 29/04/17, 22:01

[quote = "Ahmed"] Has the dog been chosen so that its coat matches the color of the mulch, or is it the opposite? : Lol:
Both : Lol: : Lol:
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 29/04/17, 22:09

Both : Lol: : Lol:

I see what you mean: you seek consistency with the Great All (or)! : Wink: : Lol:
1 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
lily 31
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by lily 31 » 29/04/17, 22:17

Did67 wrote:
Lily 31 wrote:
I would like to have opinions if Didier goes through there!

I pass ... When I see "Potager du Laesseux", I always stop by to see what's going on!

The molehill soil is "naturally" as if sifted ... It has only one small drawback: it is rich in weed seeds ... So expect to have to weed with your little fingers, carefully, around the plants ...

Oh, and see if it's moles and not the vole. The first is almost harmless for vegetables, it is a carnivore (worm eaters, in particular) ... Even if it can happen to cut a root that blocks its progression ... The second a formidable eater of vegetables rootstocks (and tree roots and fruit shrubs, which may die) ...

The "molehills" do not stand out. There would be a difference in the inclination of the holes (the mole making vertical holes under the mole hill and the vole a hole "tilted" at about 45 °). But I was never too successful in making a difference. It's not the damage that I distinguish them.

Both seem to coexist. Quite exactly, I suspect the vole squats galleries made by moles ... and to release it. When we trap the vole, at the end, once we caught them all (but we do not know it - last year, in the same hole, I caught 7 voles, then a mole), he I happened to catch, unfortunately, a mole ...

Thank you for your massage always very interesting to read.

I will try to sow carrots with the soil, hoping to have a minimum of grass !!! "hope gives life" but first I have to cut the right layer of hay : roll:

I'm going to bring out my mole traps to see mole or ground vole ??
0 x