My vegetable garden lazy north of Toulouse

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: My vegetable garden in the north of Toulouse

by Ahmed » 20/05/17, 17:59

The problem is that wood is resistant (fortunately for our homes!) And it still takes a lot of power to overcome it; in single-phase electric, it is very quickly limited ... I prefer a thermal motor also for the ease of use in all places, which multiplies the opportunities of supply.
1 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Lachanette
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Lachanette » 31/05/17, 12:30

Ahmed wrote:
I will try to sow carrots with the ground hoping to have a minimum of grass!

Hope does not help much in this area, but you can use the understanding of natural phenomena to get around the problem.
There are two different tactics: false seeding and thermal weeding.

I return to the discussion of carrot seedlings.

I tried the technique of D. Soltner: the seeding on sterile soil (without weed seeds, because heated sufficiently).
A layer of a few centimeters of this soil is spread on the ground (hence without hay, which is removed before), and spread without incorporating it, without scratching the earth with the teeth of the rake. So you have to flip the rake and spread with the back.
The groove is formed with a pressed tool handle. Then we sow and cover with a little bit of the same potting soil.
After the emergence, the plant is rooted in the soil under the soil.
Seedlings have a head start on weeds, and can settle. Then the shade of the foliage of the carrots, if the rows are sufficiently tight, prevents the emergence of the weeds.

Well, I tried on a small square. I came back 4 weeks later, and it was very satsfaisant: the carrots had risen well, and almost no weed.

I saw a video from a maraicher on youtube who practices this system
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vPnAGpwgWF8
2 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 31/05/17, 15:31

Eclectronyou talk about treating soft hardwoods as a tadpole, but this technique is very good for hard hardwoods ...; among these, the black locust is particularly indicated: easy (a little too much ...) to grow (except in soil waterlogged permanently), it rejects abundantly and provides an excellent BRF; its crushed adult bark, as its leaves are good for the soil and the bees appreciate its flowers ... 8) Okay, it's very thorny, but nothing is perfect in this world! : Lol:

LachanetteIt's good to have published this video that I had already seen.
The result of my test is satisfactory, although my layer of compost is probably a little thin: I have floated the soil, extended (pifomètriquement) a small layer of compost, re-float, and settlement of the grooves as on the video and filling after sowing.
Instead of sowing carrots and radishes at the same time, as I usually did *, I sowed two rows of carrots and a row of radishes in the middle of the other two: this occupies the ground until the carrots develop.
The black color of the compost is an anti-germinative advantage, but the heating it provokes is quick to dry the seedbed, so think at first to water well at night ...

* In a small hand seeder, the difference in size and shape of the two seed species makes the operation risky, moreover, the idea is to mark the furrow (that's okay! is not bad either), then deforcing the carrots by taking radishes, but the harvest of radishes is often damaging to carrot seedlings.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 31/05/17, 22:14

Ahmed wrote:
* In a small hand seeder, the difference in size and shape of the two seed species makes the operation risky, moreover, the idea is to mark the furrow

I always sow by hand, without a seeder. And until then, in general, radishes and carrots in the same furrow. Quite simply by sowing first one, then the other. It is true that sowing by hand without a seeder, for small seeds, is a helping hand ... There, on this one, I think I am not "poor market gardening!"
1 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 31/05/17, 22:32

On that one, I was a very mediocre gardener, since too lazy (everything is in the dosage) not to sow these two types of seeds at the same time. It was not really smart! : Oops:
0 x
lily 31
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by lily 31 » 01/06/17, 00:35

Small visits of this morning in photos between 2 showers (35 mm in 24h)

Vegetable side:

pumpkin planted 3 weeks ago, it seems to suffer a lot the first leaves have yellowed young shoots are very green
IMG_0069.JPG

another pumpkin with 3 flowers
IMG_0070.JPG

tomatoes with salads (sucrines) between the feet, behind aubergines and peppers (small they vegetate a little but patience)
IMG_0072.JPG

the few strawberry survivors from last year, no BRF but thin-layer mowing every week; in the fall and this winter I would put them in BRF - a little worry I have a pest in 4 paws that eats them before I pick them : Oops: :(
IMG_0073.JPG

leeks planted directly through the hay with a planting plant this weekend
IMG_0074.JPG

zucchini, tomatoes with salads, eggplants, peppers (very small), pumpkins, along the fence next door rhubarb
IMG_0075.JPG

overview of the kitchen garden
IMG_0079.JPG

Side red fruits, potatoes, artichokes and some claws of asparagus:

potato forgotten during the harvest last year and my pest in 4 paws I present you Marquise (9 months) : Evil:
IMG_0076.JPG

Artichokes in production and young plant mid April, right asparagus, left blackcurrants under a black thorn that my dad grafted me 30 years ago (it is pretty double pink flowers: I love :) ) pity my dad almost does not see and can not tell me how he was doing !! :(
IMG_0077.JPG

the currants arrive at maturity
IMG_0078.JPG
2 x
lily 31
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by lily 31 » 01/06/17, 00:46

the seedlings:

zucchini, pumpkins, green beans and butter
IMG_0080.JPG

sowing of sucrine and parsley makes the 24 May without dipping seeds
IMG_0082.JPG

endive seedling soaking seeds during 24h before
sow in a few days I will transplant them into buckets individually
IMG_0083.JPG

See you soon for new photos and see the evolution : Lol:
2 x
Colinot
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Colinot » 01/06/17, 07:51

waouhhhhhhh !!!!! Great !!!!!
I posted some photos on the main site
See you soon
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 01/06/17, 09:27

Lily 31 wrote:
(small they vegetate a little but patience)

It looks like what I have ...
But for two days, at home, it wakes up very quickly, but not all plants at the same time. Some may be more sensitive? Or had the roots more damaged ???

In any case, I now have a foot of zucchini that doubles almost all 24 h; a few feet of tomatoes that form green leaves (they were purple and rolled up), which add a similar internode, and reject greedy ...

I think that the "system" (activity of soil organisms, nitrification by bacteria, mycorrhization ...) is in the process of being set up, thanks to the warming of the soil.
0 x
lily 31
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by lily 31 » 16/06/17, 00:17

Some pictures taken today, the garden wakes up for a few days
15 June 17 0094.JPG
tomatoes

15 June 17 0092.JPG
the pumpkin who looked sad just a week ago 2 weeks

15 June 17 0093.JPG
peppers did not really start, eggplants two larger varieties with well-developed aubergine fruits began to bloom and the whites apparently later

15 June 17 0095.JPG
zucchini

15 June 17 0096.JPG
leeks and beans sowed in a bucket and transplanted yesterday

The last evening
15 June 17 96.JPG
a mole cricket or mole cricket

Small search on the net
The mole cricket has a bad reputation, but is it really and totally justified? ... not sure at all!
If it is indeed very easy to note its nuisances, those it avoids us by destroying the famous "white worms", and "to gray"

Me who thought she was eating the roots of our vegetables and others I'm going to look at them with another look !!
0 x