Mowing to "mulch" with fresh air?

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Mary Flower
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Mowing to "mulch" with fresh air?

by Mary Flower » 12/05/19, 19:49

Hello,

I'm new to this forum and I hope not to be mistaken in procedure ...
It does not seem to me that the subject is already treated but I admit that I do not find myself much in all these pages. I am not (yet) an arrow in the use of forums.

So my question: I have two hectares of meadow that I would like to use in my vegetable garden project. I have just started it (I did not know the phenoculture yet a few months ago) and wonder if I can mow my field little by little and "mulch" directly my vegetable garden with it.
As it is fresh, I suppose that it is better to add layers little by little while trying to keep a minimum thickness (and also because I mow by hand ;-)? Secondary question if my idea is not too far-fetched is it the right time to cover the ground (you say January and we are in May but I admit that it hurts to see my land at naked now that I have become aware of certain things ;-).

Finally, I would like to thank did67 the gardener for this incredible sharing (what an investment in time), thank you for the nice gift ;-).

BAV

Marie
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Mowing to "mulch" with fresh air?

by Moindreffor » 12/05/19, 20:17

you can mow and let dry a little, if you can wait for the grass stems to grow you will have hay after drying

it is never too late to put the hay, as it has multiple uses, at this period it will prevent weeds from growing back and will protect your soil from winds, drying out and heavy rainstorms, that's already it and it will mineralize little by little, it will be easier to plant and more difficult to sow that's all
1 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Mary Flower
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Mary Flower » 12/05/19, 20:23

Great ! Thank you for your answer ;)). Do you have an idea of ​​the minimum height to keep?
0 x
olivier75
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by olivier75 » 12/05/19, 20:26

First of all welcome.

It is especially never the right period for a bare floor! So cool while waiting for the hay in small repeated layers, and without mowing in advance in less than 2 months your meadow will have a fairly balanced grass. By mowing by hand, it will come quickly.
There will not really be a weeding function at first, but you will keep the humidity, feed the worms that you have not cut, and soon enough will produce a little nitrogen.
And as you will find the system well, you can enlarge or move your vegetable garden directly in your meadow with the mown hay late ... in the fall.
Olivier.

PS: it's a bit duplicate we wrote at the same time ....
1 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 12/05/19, 20:33

It is just that the grass mowed at this time will not be lignified and will therefore be absorbed more quickly, but this is not a big concern in this period, since we no longer seek the durability of the cover ...
1 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 12/05/19, 20:39

Ahmed wrote:It is just that the grass mowed at this time will not be lignified and will therefore be absorbed more quickly, but this is not a big concern in this period, since we no longer seek the durability of the cover ...

yes but with a manual mowing and 2 ha I think it will last a little so we will start greener and finish more woody : Mrgreen: after not forgetting that it takes practically 5 times the surface of the vegetable garden in surface of mowing grass which will allow you to adapt the size of the vegetable garden
1 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Mary Flower
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Mary Flower » 12/05/19, 20:44

Thank you very much for all these answers! It's great forums in fact ;-).
So making a vegetable garden is not a solitary activity ?!

Nice evening to all of you ...
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 12/05/19, 23:36

Marie fleur, 4 years ago, I started around the same time, like you, I mowed and covered next to it. The first year was a little disappointing for me because the soil was poor and the grass scarce. I advise you to plant especially and if you sow, use only large seeds (cucurbits, beans) because the first year many weeds break through the hay layer and lead hard life to small seedlings.
Do not hesitate to bring organic matter in bulk for the first 2 or 3 years, there is no risk of overdose. After it is more complex, some members are looking into the subject;
1 x

Back to "Agriculture: problems and pollution, new techniques and solutions"