Mini forest

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Mini forest

by phil53 » 27/10/19, 19:11

We see more and more initiatives from people who claim to set up mini forests. Apart from the fashion effect does this make sense?
Is a mini forest after 4 or 5 years of maintenance promotes biodiversity as it is claimed?
These small trees planted densely will necessarily compete and only the strongest will remain.
A priori in my area a primary forest would be mainly covered with ash trees, the oaks that we see many are especially there because men have favored them.
0 x
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: mini forest

by GuyGadebois » 27/10/19, 19:34

On wastelands, on the outskirts of cities, or on floors scarred by repeated fires (other ideas?), That can make sense.
https://mrmondialisation.org/nantes-ils ... diversite/
0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
"By definition the cause is the product of the effect". (Tryphion)
"360 / 000 / 0,5 is 100 million and not 72 million" (AVC)
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 28/10/19, 02:06

phil53 wrote:A priori in my area a primary forest would be essentially covered with ash trees
Better not https://www.gerbeaud.com/nature-environ ... ,1222.html

In my area, I have already seen a meadow abandoned to its fate turn into birch grove
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 28/10/19, 09:18

Interesting this link on this disease that I did not know yet. Yes some poor soils are naturally suitable for birches in my area.
On the other hand what planters claim and that seems sensible, the mini forests by maximizing the diversity of the species, one limits the propagation of the diseases.
On the other hand, it does not convince me of the durability of these mini forests and the well-foundedness of this fashion.
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Mini forest

by Moindreffor » 28/10/19, 12:47

phil53 wrote:We see more and more initiatives from people who claim to set up mini forests. Apart from the fashion effect does this make sense?
Is a mini forest after 4 or 5 years of maintenance promotes biodiversity as it is claimed?
These small trees planted densely will necessarily compete and only the strongest will remain.
A priori in my area a primary forest would be mainly covered with ash trees, the oaks that we see many are especially there because men have favored them.

imagine the size of a century-old oak and compare it to the surface of the mini-forest you will have your answer
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
VetusLignum
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by VetusLignum » 28/10/19, 18:07

In practice, the fastest growing trees or shrubs will smother the others, so there will be a mess of plants.
Afterwards, if the climate is warming up, then planting only local species is not necessarily a good idea, it would be necessary to vary more.
Finally, nothing beats what sows on the spot, the plants do not always settle as well.
Another factor to take into account is the pressure of rabbits and hares; if they are numerous, they can devastate everything. In this case, it is better to plant less, and protect.
In any case, it is an interesting experience, there is a lot to learn in observing what will happen.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 28/10/19, 20:47

Izentrop, you write:
In my area, I have already seen a meadow abandoned to its fate become a bog.

Colonization by species of light, such as birch, is a normal step which should lead later to a climax stand of shade trees (the content of which depends on the location).

The idea of ​​a mini forest involves mourning one of the essential components of the forest: the forest environment (humidity and wind). In any case, it will be ill-equipped against too great annual variations in temperature and precipitation. Biodiversity is certainly maximum at the contact areas that are the edges, however, as seen above, it is a fragility for the forest ...
Regarding global warming, a lot of the usual species are worried about it. Pedunculate oak seems to be the most resistant of the local species. The introduction of more southerly species, seductive as it may be, comes up against the sensitivity to spring frost ...

Vetus lignum, you write:
Another factor to take into account is the pressure of rabbits and hares; if they are numerous, they can devastate everything. In this case, it is better to plant less, and protect.

In this case, it is better to proceed by sowing, because the seedlings raised in the nursery are highly predated by rodents or deer, unlike natural seedlings (less desirable because they are less rich in nutrients).
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
VetusLignum
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by VetusLignum » 28/10/19, 21:47

Ahmed wrote:Regarding global warming, a lot of the usual species are worried about it. Pedunculate oak seems to be the most resistant of the local species.

I do not believe that. Pedunculate oak does not support the lack of water, it is one of the species that will most regress if there is global warming.
The sessile oak, on the other hand, is expected to gain ground, as will the pubescent oak or oak.
Ahmed wrote: The introduction of more southerly species, seductive as it may be, comes up against the sensitivity to spring frost ...

Not necessarily. The southern species of oaks (Quercus canariensis, Quercus faginea, Quercus frainetto, Quercus macrolepis, Quercus dalechampii ...) are more rustic than one might think. Let's not forget that they survived the glaciations.
What you say may apply to fruit varieties; but for the oaks, there might be some good surprises.
Ahmed wrote:Vetus lignum, you write:

In this case, it is better to proceed by sowing, because the seedlings raised in the nursery are highly predated by rodents or deer, unlike natural seedlings (less desirable because they are less rich in nutrients).

Would you have a source? This is the first time I read this.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 28/10/19, 22:08

Thank you for correcting me: yes, I wanted to talk about oaks sessile. : Oops:
Regarding the greater sensitivity of seedlings from the nursery, it is a fairly general observation that I could also observe personally. There must be documents on this subject, but I have not done any research on that.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadebois » 28/10/19, 22:23

Ahmed wrote:Thank you for correcting me: yes, I wanted to talk about oaks sessile. : Oops:

Nougaro's favorites.
0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
"By definition the cause is the product of the effect". (Tryphion)
"360 / 000 / 0,5 is 100 million and not 72 million" (AVC)