Better than conservation, regenerative agriculture

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Better than conservation, regenerative agriculture

by Janic » 01/06/19, 09:00

This site uses the expression "regenerative agriculture", but behind it, it's mainly biodynamics.
So biodynamics, that's a lot of magic potions,
It is almost unbelievable, if not that it has become usual, to consider that what is not understood is called magic. [*]
and quite specious explanations.
For specious explanations (in relation to what?) It is in human nature that want to explain everything, rather than just note whether this or that action is effective or not.
For me, it's a bit of another time. I'm not saying it doesn't work,
And how do you know if something is working or not? By practice, only, the implementation on sufficient time to control the effects on an average.
I say above all that it needs to be better studied scientifically.
You are right, in part! But often the means to scientifically study a phenomenon are lacking, because on the one hand, there is a need for suitable equipment and also financial means. What independent body can do this?
Currently, for biodynamics for example, it is the multiple farmers who practice this form of agriculture who can attest, not outside observers who know nothing about it.

[*] even when the labs only make these magic potions, but presented as scientists. :(
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 01/06/19, 11:13

VetusLignum wrote:Cover crop residues prevent garbage from growing.
The "garbage", I imagine that it is the weeds ("weeds") ..?
0 x
VetusLignum
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by VetusLignum » 01/06/19, 14:04

to be chafoin wrote:
VetusLignum wrote:Cover crop residues prevent garbage from growing.
The "garbage", I imagine that it is the weeds ("weeds") ..?

You can imagine.
I must have forgotten that I was translating in French, not in "chti".
http://www.chblog.com/post/2008/08/28/1096-ordure-chti
Note that this reference is also interesting on the cultural level: "there is garbage ... it's like in the landfill ... shame ... so you have to dig ..."
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 01/06/19, 18:59

VetusLignum wrote:Applying a herbicide does less harm to the soil than mechanical work. But he avoids glyphosate because it kills too many things (however, he doesn't list the herbicides he uses). He considers himself very close to being organic.
As in conservation agriculture. :)
I understand that he prefers more selective herbicides, but glyphosate is the least harmful and the least persistent of all. The cheapest too.

He prefers to lose his crop than to use glyphosate ??? My eye : Wink: ... or else, it is the wish of the author of the article to hide this detail. : Mrgreen:
0 x
VetusLignum
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by VetusLignum » 01/06/19, 21:17

izentrop wrote:
VetusLignum wrote:Applying a herbicide does less harm to the soil than mechanical work. But he avoids glyphosate because it kills too many things (however, he doesn't list the herbicides he uses). He considers himself very close to being organic.
As in conservation agriculture. :)
I understand that he prefers more selective herbicides, but glyphosate is the least harmful and the least persistent of all. The cheapest too.

He prefers to lose his crop than to use glyphosate ??? My eye : Wink: ... or else, it is the wish of the author of the article to hide this detail. : Mrgreen:

What he practices is an advanced form of conservation agriculture.
He blames glyphosate for killing too many things (maybe it's related to mycorrhizae), and he uses another herbicide, but he doesn't specify which one.
He also relies on cover residue to prevent weeds from growing.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 01/06/19, 23:19

Glyphosate is a total systemic foliar herbicide. Perhaps it is this fact that bothers him? does not harm the life of the soil.

It is a firefighter herbicide in AC, in the sense that a missed cover following bad weather and that weeds have developed to the point of compromising the following crop, a stroke of glypho (1.5 l / ha) will clean up the field and sow immediately after. What it won't do with another herbicide.
0 x
VetusLignum
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by VetusLignum » 02/06/19, 00:27

izentrop wrote:Glyphosate is a total systemic foliar herbicide. Perhaps it is this fact that bothers him? does not harm the life of the soil.

It is a firefighter herbicide in AC, in the sense that a missed cover following bad weather and that weeds have developed to the point of compromising the following crop, a stroke of glypho (1.5 l / ha) will clean up the field and sow immediately after. What it won't do with another herbicide.

Glyphosate has a lot of qualities, but I think what bothers G. Brown is its negative effect on mycorrhizae.
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... pplication

His system is largely based on mycorrhizae, which developed as soon as he stopped synthetic fertilizers.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 02/06/19, 07:59

VetusLignum wrote:Glyphosate has a lot of qualities, but I think what bothers G. Brown is its negative effect on mycorrhizae.
https://www.researchgate.net/publicatio ... pplication

His system is largely based on mycorrhizae, which developed as soon as he stopped synthetic fertilizers.
"synthetic fertilizers" : Mrgreen:
Yes, well, studies where we only have access to the summary do not say the conditions of the experiments, however crucial.

Another study on our land and over 6 years, says that nitrogen fertilizers and plowing impact mycorrhizae, while glyphosate applied alone at normal doses of use does not affect mycorization of the roots and increases the C / N of the ground. https://agriculture-de-conservation.com ... herche.pdf
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 02/06/19, 16:32

I anticipate, but you risk being told that the researchers were paid by Monsanto!

It is impossible to have a calm debate on glyphosate. Of which I have repeatedly written that, provided that the claims that it could be an endocrine disruptor are not confirmed, it was a rather harmless molecule (I did not write without negative effects!) Compared to others that we do not talk about or compared to other practices (including intensive tillage including some "organic"!).

But having said that, it of course has no place in the Vegetable Garden of the Sloth, where I have a much simpler and more natural way of controlling weeds, while fertilizing, without working the soil, etc ... Ah, and without buttes!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 02/06/19, 18:48

For your defense: here is a much more dangerous one, which will be withdrawn (finally, it is announced that it is withdrawn, but manufacturers have a period of 12 months to sell stocks).

https://www.bfmtv.com/economie/pesticid ... 00792.html

[It is one of the fungicides in common use, traces of which will almost inevitably be found on "non-organic" straws, widely used in permaculture ... One of the reasons that made me lean towards hay from "natural meadows "]
0 x