The lazy man's orchard: get more than organic fruit without tiring

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: The sloth's orchard: get more than ORGANIC fruit without getting tired

by Rajqawee » 18/06/21, 11:13

For blackbirds, I am lucky to be in a region with a lot of raptors: buzzards, kites, red kites and even vultures. They hunt in particular around cereal or hay areas ..... with which my land is surrounded! That must explain why, while there is nobody, the cherry tree keeps its cherries :)

After checking, it turns out that the other birds are indeed part of the possible diet of kites. So maybe that limits blackbird forays.

A lazy solution to preserve an entire tree, I do not see too much!

Another subject: we are also going to dedicate an additional area of ​​approximately 200m² to trees (at least partly fruit trees), to limit mower passages to only useful areas. We'll have to buy trees!
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 18/06/21, 11:59

With the epidemic hitting them, there are very few near my home. A couple settled in the spring, however, but I don't see any anymore.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
ABC2019
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by ABC2019 » 18/06/21, 14:54

Biobombe wrote:
I don't know one on the list to have seen it in cultivation.
it just makes you want.
Poncirus, I'll find out.

a neighbor has one in his hedge. It's very thorny (beware of children), it makes pretty white flowers and small yellowish lemons, quite decorative, but therefore apparently without culinary interest. And it obviously resists extreme cold (- 15 ° C sometimes).
0 x
To pass for an idiot in the eyes of a fool is a gourmet pleasure. (Georges COURTELINE)

Mééé denies nui went to parties with 200 people and was not even sick moiiiiiii (Guignol des bois)
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Exnihiloest » 18/06/21, 21:20

Rajqawee wrote:For blackbirds, I am lucky to be in a region with a lot of raptors: buzzards, kites, red kites and even vultures. They hunt in particular around cereal or hay areas ..... with which my land is surrounded! That must explain why, while there is nobody, the cherry tree keeps its cherries :)

After checking, it turns out that the other birds are indeed part of the possible diet of kites. So maybe that limits blackbird forays.

A lazy solution to preserve an entire tree, I do not see too much!

That's what I feared ! Here unfortunately no raptors except the buzzards. I saw that they sell false birds of prey that are placed in the trees to scare the birds, but given the opinions it would not be effective, which does not surprise me at all, the blackbirds have lied to me. seem to understand quickly enough, or at least enough to try their luck, they are so voracious.
I think it should be total: something that makes noise, that vibrates, that moves, that sends lightning flashes, and that is triggered only when the birds approach. So whole days of DIY to be expected ...
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 18/06/21, 22:05

frightening is quite unproductive because animals adapt you quickly realize it, we must attack their integrity, protected species does not mean species that cannot be targeted : Mrgreen: after that you have to adapt the projectile
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rajqawee » 21/06/21, 08:41

In my opinion, blackbirds are too smart to be impressed by anything that is not dangerous. And then, the show of Jean-Michel Jarre in the garden, it may not be the best for the gardener and the neighbor either :)

Maybe it is possible to have an approach like with slugs: produce more fruit to prevent blackbirds from rushing only for cherries? Fruits that you do not value, for example (sloes?) Or trees / shrubs which give you "too much" but which more satiate blackbirds ...
0 x
pi-r
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by pi-r » 21/06/21, 13:38

Rajqawee wrote:Maybe it is possible to have an approach like with slugs: produce more fruit to prevent blackbirds from rushing only for cherries? Fruits that you do not value, for example (sloes?) Or trees / shrubs which give you "too much" but which more satiate blackbirds ...

I have a big doubt about this strategy. my garden is surrounded by those of the neighbors who are well supplied with cherries on which they get supplies en masse .... that does not prevent them from coming to fuck up the souk by their "scrapings" in my modest boards!
moreover I voluntarily leave heaps of crushed material at the feet of certain plants where they like to come and scrape daily .... well that does not prevent damage elsewhere!
blackbirds they want ... "everything"

Moindreffor wrote:frightening is quite unproductive because animals adapt you quickly realize it, we must attack their integrity, protected species does not mean species that cannot be targeted : Mrgreen: after that you have to adapt the projectile

quite agree ... I am impatiently awaiting the virus that some have spoken about, because here they are numerous and in great shape !!!!
0 x
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rajqawee » 29/06/21, 20:31

Hop, I am going back to following an "idea" transmitted by a former farmer colleague: some birds feed on fruit ... when they are thirsty! It could therefore be interesting (and not expensive :D) to test to leave water points everywhere in the garden.
1 x
ABC2019
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by ABC2019 » 29/06/21, 20:32

Rajqawee wrote:Hop, I am going back to following an "idea" transmitted by a former farmer colleague: some birds feed on fruit ... when they are thirsty! It could therefore be interesting (and not expensive :D) to test to leave water points everywhere in the garden.

hello mosquitoes then ... or a pond with fish?
0 x
To pass for an idiot in the eyes of a fool is a gourmet pleasure. (Georges COURTELINE)

Mééé denies nui went to parties with 200 people and was not even sick moiiiiiii (Guignol des bois)