lazy gardener in Loire Atlantique

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: Lazy Gardener in Loire Atlantique

by phil53 » 09/02/21, 19:01

An interesting study of pollutants in the soil in the Nantes region.
A member on another thread said that his land was polluted, a priori it is that rare. In the study we learn that in Nantes, shared gardens are polluted. Even a lot was closed.
I will have to be wary when I collect my organic matter.

https://lejournal.cnrs.fr/articles/a-na ... n-des-sols

Didier if you pass by there, they speak about copper and how to try to evacuate it.
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 09/02/21, 20:54

phil53 wrote:An interesting study of pollutants in the soil in the Nantes region.
A member on another thread said that his land was polluted, a priori it is that rare. In the study we learn that in Nantes, shared gardens are polluted. Even a lot was closed.

https://lejournal.cnrs.fr/articles/a-na ... n-des-sols

Didier if you pass by there, they speak about copper and how to try to evacuate it.

to "clean" a soil, not many solutions, either the pollutant is soluble and it will gradually disappear by leaching, or it is not and it must be captured by a plant, and then the said plant and solution are exteriorized extreme we remove the floor and replace it

research on so-called "cleaning" plants is being developed to rehabilitate certain industrial wasteland, unfortunately some leaders wanting to ride the green wave may be tempted to make land with a dubious past available ...
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 10/02/21, 08:02

phil53 wrote:An interesting study of pollutants in the soil in the Nantes region.

Interesting, since yool told us about his problem last spring, I always think of an episode at home, ten years ago, where we recovered compost from the recycling center and a little manure from the equestrian center of a campsite. As a reminder, the quantities brought were lower than in the example of yool, but in some places I have had years with dwarf plants, rolled leaves etc. Illness or pollution, I can't tell now, but yes, I am very careful now about the OM I get. Right now anyway, apart from the hay, everything comes from my house.
0 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
Did67

by Did67 » 10/02/21, 09:50

phil53 wrote:
In the study we learn that in Nantes, shared gardens are polluted. Even a lot was closed.

Shared urban or peri-urban gardens are often on polluted soils ... It's quite simple: there are no longer any spaces left of old industrial wasteland, the garage which unceremoniously burned the oil or the batteries, the small factory which threw its toxic waste, etc ... Normally, the project managers in the services of the city know its problems, or, when in doubt, make anayses ...

But it's very specific - albeit very common in these urban / peri-urban circumstances.

This explains why sometimes there are "heavy works": we disburse over 1 or 2 m, and we bring back trucks and trucks of "healthy" soil ... All on geotextile. I thought they were nuts for a long time. But no, it is so that the roots do not go beyond, into the polluted earth (that said, the mycorrhizae do!).
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 10/02/21, 09:54

Moindreffor wrote:
research on so-called "cleansing" plants is under development ...

Knowing that these are then very long processes and that we are working for children - on condition that a solution is found to "treat" the plants. Otherwise, it is only to deport the problem!
0 x
Yool
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Yool » 10/02/21, 11:43

To pick up on the subject, I think this is a sensitive debate. I watched the youtube video of production earthworms from the MSV network which deals with vegetable gardens (
) t the worker brushes aside contamination from pesticides, antibiotics, etc., saying that analyzes are regularly carried out in the manures they use and that there are no problems. I try to talk about my experience on the subject as soon as I can, to invite people to be wary of the OM inputs they bring to the vegetable garden, to find out about the origin of these materials (this also applies to for hay), even if for many it seems like a non-subject.

For this new season I am more optimistic, as I have "cleaned" a good surface of soil and put back healthy organic matter and since in addition it has rained enormously this winter, I think that a large part of the molecules must have to be leached / degraded. The green manures that I sowed in the fall have emerged and have a good development, for example the vetch which is sensitive to the molecule.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 10/02/21, 12:44

I think the "myth" that composting "cleans" has a lot to do with it ...

Even if it remains that in general, in the vast majority of cases, there are no problems.

Until your testimony, I was convinced that no farmer was foolish enough to "treat" a permanent meadow. I was only suspicious of temporary grasslands. And a priori, I was wrong! Some do not support a few "dicotyledons" in their meadow (dicotyledons = majority of plants called "flowers"; as opposed to monocots that are grasses - therefore poaceae - called "herbs") ... Or perhaps flytoxent tufts of 'nettles ??? ...

So I am now a step more careful in what I say.
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 10/02/21, 14:45

Did67 wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:
research on so-called "cleansing" plants is under development ...

Knowing that these are then very long processes and that we are working for children - on condition that a solution is found to "treat" the plants. Otherwise, it is only to deport the problem!

indeed, it develops, around grasses, with strong development and indeed we will burn this further in an incinerator, this to avoid the large earthworks that I mentioned in extreme cases
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
VetusLignum
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by VetusLignum » 10/02/21, 14:55

yool wrote: the speaker brushes aside contaminations with pesticides, antibiotics, etc., saying that analyzes are regularly carried out in the manures they use and that there are no problems.

The idea is that in living soil, certain toxic substances are quickly degraded, and become harmless.
0 x
VetusLignum
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by VetusLignum » 10/02/21, 14:56

Did67 wrote:Until your testimony, I was convinced that no farmer was foolish enough to "treat" a permanent meadow. I was only suspicious of temporary grasslands. And a priori, I was wrong! Some do not support a few "dicotyledons" in their meadow (dicotyledons = majority of plants called "flowers"; as opposed to monocots that are grasses - therefore poaceae - called "herbs") ... Or perhaps flytoxent tufts of 'nettles ??? ...

Or thistles
0 x