lazy gardener in Loire Atlantique

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Lazy Gardener in Loire Atlantique

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 04/07/20, 17:23

Did67 wrote:The precision of the focus and the depth of field are spectacular ...

Stung yes.
Uh depth of field it does not seem to me.
But it's good that the background is blurred on the contrary to better highlight the foreground.

A depth of fields of phew would have made you see both the 1st and the 2nd plan every 2 hyper nets ...

One of the masters of the genre was Bill Brandt (whom I adore)
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 04/07/20, 17:45

I agree: it's better if the background is blurry. I was talking about insects, clean from "front" to "back" ...

When I put rings (I have 3-ball rings) on my Nikon, the autofocus does anything and with the lens I have, I have a ridiculous depth of field. I have the impression that in this case, if I had clear eyes, the tips of the legs would have been blurred ...

And in video mode, it is the cat, because the mirror being reassembled, I only have the screen to focus on in manual mode ...

To sum up: I would like to be able to do a quarter of a tenth. I'm spending a lot of time right now observing ... 36 kinds of hover flies, bumblebees, hornets, wasps ... And I don't think I have a good photo or video ... I think came out of it honorably (just) by filming the wasps (without the rings; I was at the limit of the possibilities of enlarging my objective).
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 04/07/20, 18:23

For those who like pictures of little animals
A small 2mm beast released from its foam. Foamy leafhopper in larva stage, I believe.
IMG_20200704_181220.jpg
IMG_20200704_181220.jpg (35.14 KB) Viewed times 2083

And this tiny spider of the order of mm
IMG-20200704-WA0032.jpg
IMG-20200704-WA0032.jpg (69.17 KIO) Accessed 2083 times
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 04/07/20, 21:33

As Adrien says, the phone and its software have a lot to do with it. You still have to have your eye and patience sometimes.
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 04/07/20, 23:35

Did67 wrote:I agree: it's better if the background is blurry. I was talking about insects, clean from "front" to "back" ...

When I put rings (I have 3-ball rings) on my Nikon, the autofocus does anything and with the lens I have, I have a ridiculous depth of field. I have the impression that in this case, if I had clear eyes, the tips of the legs would have been blurred ...

And in video mode, it is the cat, because the mirror being reassembled, I only have the screen to focus on in manual mode ...

To sum up: I would like to be able to do a quarter of a tenth. I'm spending a lot of time right now observing ... 36 kinds of hover flies, bumblebees, hornets, wasps ... And I don't think I have a good photo or video ... I think came out of it honorably (just) by filming the wasps (without the rings; I was at the limit of the possibilities of enlarging my objective).

In fact the depth of field depends on the opening of your diaphragm.
Bill Brandt was working with a pinhead type opening ... says the legend.
Which allowed him to have colossal depths of fields

Bill Brandt East Sussex-1957.jpg
Bill Brandt East Sussex-1957.jpg (108.75 KB) Viewed 2049 times

other great examples
http://www.batcol.com/photos/brandt/index.html

The problem that results from it is all the same to get enough light into the lens to print the film or the memory card without going up in the asa or the iso and losing suddenly in quality ....

When it's a fixed plan (recently I had fun with garlic) it's easy: you have all your time.
When it's live animals you have to draw faster than your shadow ... or work in automatic, but I only work 100% manual, so you have to juggle quickly with the speed / diaphragm wheels ... and possibly the iso

Even with a Zenith you can have a good depth of field, it all depends on the conditions: brightness, speed of the subject.
You take a step, you close at 22, and suddenly you can lower your speed, or even ask and at 22 you will have depth of field for sure.

But hey, these technical challenges are a little gone from fashion to profit like this photo of Ms. with a blurred background.

So we do the opposite: we open a max (I have the 24/70 2.8 from Nikon) and we only target its subject without worrying about the rest: other times other customs.
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 04/07/20, 23:43

phil53 wrote:As Adrien says, the phone and its software have a lot to do with it. You still have to have your eye and patience sometimes.

Ah living is ... deadly.

I had the pleasure of sharing an evening with David Allemand when I lived in the Vaucluse.
When he tells you about the making of his book on vultures in the Verdon ... it's crazy work and a presence on the ground in precarious and spartan conditions and hours and days of waiting ... finally short must be Zen.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 05/07/20, 08:48

Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:So we do the opposite: we open a max (I have the 24/70 2.8 from Nikon) and we only target its subject without worrying about the rest: other times other customs.

Yes. Even we "treat" the photos. I once saw a boy who photographed animals and who processes the photos with software:

- he photographs in burst mode, by scanning the focus

- the software (or him with the software) takes in each photo the clear part and assembles them; it can thus have a net snake from head to tail; so it is no longer strictly speaking the depth of field ...

I have some scraps of notion of photos, but alas, laziness has led me to trust automatisms. It must be recognized that if Nikon allows a lot of things, with multiple "functions", it is often too complicated to set up quickly, for an amateur like me, who no longer remembers the settings and does not have the guide with him [even if a consumer device such as the D 5300 that I use]
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 30/07/20, 07:14

Apart from the cherry tomatoes, the tomatoes are worse than last year. They are still good but not excellent. They turn red and stay orange for a long time. In my corner everyone complains about their tomatoes.
A curious phenomenon undoubtedly linked to cool nights and sometimes scorching days.
My melons are dead, a few feet of peppers and eggplants remain rickety.
This year I sprinkle my cabbages in full sun, there are still large drops on the leaves and several kinds of wasps come to drink there. They must cleaned up aphids and caterpillars because despite the cabbage butterflies present, I only found one caterpillar. As the key hay remains wet, I have not had a flea beetle this year. Could it be a Hazard?
0 x
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 30/07/20, 08:20

With me no tomato worries this year, except for the early ones, the cool nights should suit them, the overwhelming heat much less. Eggplants and peppers are late, at the beginning of July we had quite a few nights at 10-12 ° C, which is not enough. I have no more flea beetles, the turnips were heavily attacked and are recovering well.
0 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand
Did67

by Did67 » 30/07/20, 08:43

phil53 wrote:
A curious phenomenon undoubtedly linked to cool nights and sometimes scorching days.

Not curious! The blushing, linked to ethylene emissions (and not in the sun, despite the tenacious belief) is slowed down, in fact, by cool or too hot temperatures! We yoyo between one and the other, so no need to search!
0 x