lazy gardener in Loire Atlantique

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Did67

Re: Lazy Gardener in Loire Atlantique

by Did67 » 19/10/19, 14:11

phil53 wrote:This year, I put under a ventilated tunnel (just protect rain) a foot of tomato. This confirms what Didier showed us. All other feet are ravaged, the one sheltered with healthy tomatoes that still bloom.

Do you mean he does not talk about bullshit, Didier?

At home, more continental climate: significant temperature variations, and consequently a lot of condensation, very early (July). So I have a lot of mildew anyway, even under the tunnel!

It just goes to show that we have to analyze a whole set: the "system"!
0 x
Julienmos
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Julienmos » 19/10/19, 15:40

what surprises me a little bit is that my few feet of tomato outside, despite the many rains of recent times, have not caught mildew. Simply, the last tomatoes have a lot of trouble blushing ... but they are healthy, even those dragging on the floor.

For the rest, to note that it is only since the return of moisture that I can pick every day some raspberries ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 19/10/19, 17:13

Moisture is not the only factor. The temperature plays too.

At home, sick tomato plants to be in a state of "apparent death", reject !!! Ditto for cucumbers, grilled by powdery mildew!

Raspberries are very poor plants to find their water !!! The root system is designed to suck ... It goes sideways and not deep.

For information, I just took soil for analysis: at a depth of transplant (a dozen cm), in meadow, I came across perfectly dry land!
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 19/10/19, 20:07

At the moment it is super hot 15 still at this time and the mini of last night 11 ... Image

Well it will not be long to fall on it but for the moment temperatures have fallen on the head.

Hoping that in exchange we will have the rain as it should be.
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 19/10/19, 23:36

Did67 wrote:
phil53 wrote:This year, I put under a ventilated tunnel (just protect rain) a foot of tomato. This confirms what Didier showed us. All other feet are ravaged, the one sheltered with healthy tomatoes that still bloom.

Do you mean he does not talk about bullshit, Didier?

At home, more continental climate: significant temperature variations, and consequently a lot of condensation, very early (July). So I have a lot of mildew anyway, even under the tunnel!

It just goes to show that we have to analyze a whole set: the "system"!

I wanted to say that this year it also works in Loire Atlantique to the point that to extend the season a few feet it may be worth next year to provide a serious shelter against the rain and not something improvised. This year I produced tomatoes from late June to mid-October. But it's still an exceptional year. A few years ago I remember grilled my feet in July before actually producing. This reinforces the need to provide shelter because even the rainy years here it is not cold so the tomatoes could ripen.
0 x
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 20/10/19, 00:30

Did67 wrote:For information, I just took soil for analysis: at a depth of transplant (a dozen cm), in meadow, I came across perfectly dry land!
Same observation: surprise to see the earth under the hay as dry while there was so much rain! With a little humidity certainly still well compacted. The pump effect of hay, with the wind evaporating? The soil is not draining enough, which once dry, it takes a lot of time before absorbing the water in depth?
So I continued to water at the foot of the eggplant which they, like weeds that have recovered vigor, continue to pump!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 21/10/19, 12:47

Me, it was in the natural meadow, away from fruit ...
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 26/10/19, 23:38

Yesterday I picked up my last potatoes.
He had a few acenics but a lot of wankers as Didier calls.
I also picked up a foot of sweet potatoes. This is my first harvest, it seems to me correct 2kg5. They seem to me more twisted than those of commerce.
Can we keep small for one year after?
IMG-20191025-WA0001.jpg
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 27/10/19, 09:10

You can keep small: it is a cuttings, so a strict conservation characteristics.

In general, the only risk in case of cuttings is the propagation of some diseases (such as viruses - 'yellows', embossed leaves, etc.) I don't know what about sweet potatoes.

What I recommend is to keep one of the same to grow very fast (January). You cut the first rejections that form. It will form others, while the first take root (in water) ... And like that, with a potato, you make several plants ...
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 01/12/19, 11:59

In late spring I harvested 2 small broccoli flowers about half a size of the trade. I had left the feet and finally formed 2 other heads of flowers and a few smaller ones that are ultimately larger than the first (of spring). I am surprised that they have produced a 2th time more than the first.
Nice surprise.
Even if finally my leeks of good size are crooked, the garden is often full of good surprises!
Garlic planted 15j begins to grow.
0 x