lazy gardener in Loire Atlantique

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: Lazy Gardener in Loire Atlantique

by to be chafoin » 13/01/19, 14:49

Did67 wrote:- the Swiss Fibl are more optimistic than the sources I had: they speak about ten m per year, which overlaps a little with the Canadian document about which we had exchanged ...
Yes, that's what Marcel Bouché noted: 1 or 2 m per month. It remains to be seen the circumstances: the anecic verse that I picked up on my return from the vegetable patch had already been at least 1m on the road in just a few hours ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 13/01/19, 15:18

Ah damn. You already wrote it. I must have read poorly, and remember 1 or 2 m per year. Or in one of these videos, did he make a slip, which stayed with me?

[It clearly indicates, on one of the dias which returns in several of its confs that the length of the galleries is 5 km / ha - I checked; that would only be 0,5 m per m²; unlikely because at 200 worms, it would be 2,5 cm of galleries each ...]

I must take the time to check. Because it's in my book - I have to correct it if I made a mistake!
0 x
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 14/01/19, 03:23

Did67 wrote:Ah damn. You already wrote it. I must have read poorly, and remember 1 or 2 m per year. Or in one of these videos, did he make a slip, which stayed with me?

[It clearly indicates, on one of the dias which returns in several of its confs that the length of the galleries is 5 km / ha - I checked; that would only be 0,5 m per m²; unlikely because at 200 worms, it would be 2,5 cm of galleries each ...]

I must take the time to check. Because it's in my book - I have to correct it if I made a mistake!
Yes I don't know about the videos but in his book I checked well and he says 1 to 2 per month. Personally I had made the same "mistake" of memory or reading as you: I had retained per year.

Afterwards, in this popularization book we don't always have the experimental explanations; there he only refers to an experiment he carried out in 1980: the worms were marked in order to follow their horizontal movements. Results: the marked epigos move by 2m and the anecic ones by 1m per month. (see p. 100 of the book)

For the length of the galleries, as you actually present, there is like a bp. But Gattineau also criticizes some of his figures and results ... I don't know what to think about it.
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 14/01/19, 07:14

It must also depend on the nature of the terrain. I have noticed that the tubers are rarely evenly distributed, often they form spots spaced 15 to 20cm apart. A bit like villages with a few houses between them.
Sometimes these are almost continuous lines.
This on undisturbed lawns, apart from mowing, for at least 30 years. Before it was market gardens.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 14/01/19, 10:13

to be chafoin wrote:
For the length of the galleries, as you actually present, there is like a bp. But Gattineau also criticizes some of his figures and results ... I don't know what to think about it.

What to think about it?

a) That Bouché has a lot of merits to have tried to see clearly on the verse at a time when everyone didn't care (today, it's easy, it's a fashion!) ... And to do it "in the field", as he says. But suddenly, it's un field (because it is difficult to reproduce these complex protocols in 36 places!). And so it is necessarily very limited. Is this land "representative"? Surely no all the situations.

b) The situation is more complex. That elsewhere, this is no longer totally true. Its 200 to 300 aneciques counted in a meadow, we do not know how many there are in a vegetable garden. He did not count them "in the field".

c) Bouché, like any "famous character", sometimes adds it in these conferences, in the "mutt" genre ... Difficult to escape. At a certain stage, a conf becomes a show! And, with age, it is not immune to a slip, an error. The km / ha, I checked the slide in two of his lectures ... It is obviously a carelessness, a conversion error of a factor of 1.

d) And this is where Gatineau's rant, which is another "character", is beneficial when he tells us "Bouché is not God", we must not idolize him! And let him take the trouble to scratch it. Bouché's book is a bit messy, so it is easy to reproach him here for presenting the 3 kinds of verse, and elsewhere for evoking others (the "épi-anéciques", the "épi-endogés"). ..

We are all open to criticism. The reality is more complex than what we can describe, even in 300 pages. I can de-zinc Gatineau on such a point when I want.

And he can knock me out ... I decided to do it myself: to correct my mistakes in the book, I could replace with the corrected text. Neither seen nor known. Not likely that anyone will read both at the same time! I preferred, out of honesty for my early readers, to write "In the first edition, I wrote this: xxxxx. It was a mistake. ... This is what it is: yyyy". I have done this 3 or 4 times. I'm trying not to be a God !!!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 14/01/19, 10:15

phil53 wrote:It must also depend on the nature of the terrain. I have noticed that the tubers are rarely evenly distributed, often they form spots spaced 15 to 20cm apart. A bit like villages with a few houses between them.
This on undisturbed lawns, apart from mowing, for at least 30 years. Before it was market gardens.

Turricules, you mean.

In fact, the turricules are at the exit of a gallery, which forms a whole tree structure underground. So it makes sense.
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 14/01/19, 11:41

Did67 wrote:
phil53 wrote:It must also depend on the nature of the terrain. I have noticed that the tubers are rarely evenly distributed, often they form spots spaced 15 to 20cm apart. A bit like villages with a few houses between them.

Turricules, you mean.

In fact, the turricules are at the exit of a gallery, which forms a whole tree structure underground. So it makes sense.

it is also possible that a hatching worm laying gives birth to a small "village" from where a certain regrouping then the worms will move away, distribute themselves, but as they do it slowly the structure can remain a little while , worms are not voracious predators, if they have enough food they do not need to move, and a lawn is full of blades of grass ...
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Did67

by Did67 » 14/01/19, 12:35

Especially since on the surface, they "pull" towards their gallery everything they can reach within a radius of 2/3 of their length ...
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 14/01/19, 13:05

Did67 wrote:

Turricules, you mean.

yes indeed, it is the predictive writing that trapped me.j
0 x
Julienmos
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Julienmos » 14/01/19, 14:14

Did67 wrote:
In fact, the turricules are at the exit of a gallery, which forms a whole tree underground.

I who believed that an anecic worm had a (only) gallery, very vertical, and that it spent its time going back and forth surface depth.
0 x