The Potager du Sloth: the book

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Did67

Re: Le Potager du Sloth: the book

by Did67 » 15/07/21, 11:33

Miaos wrote:... it's still more of a passion than a real job, at least if you want to write things that have meaning and a certain depth.

As far as I'm concerned, I'd say it's a retired hobby that I do with a certain "amateur professionalism" out of passion! This hides a side of "activism" - I am campaigning for a world that is a little more peaceful, more bio-diverse (including man), less "single thought", less "obscurantist" (beliefs) ...

[I have had a lot of messages from "professionals"; I received a visit from fellow agronomists, people working at INRAe, after reading my book: apart from an error so gross that almost everyone corrects it - a typo - in the second, and two or three nuances, no one has yet questioned a passage from one of my books by asserting / demonstrating that such and such an argument, or such information, that I was advancing was false. This is what I mean by "professionalism" ...]
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 15/07/21, 13:32

Did67 wrote:
Miaos wrote:... it's still more of a passion than a real job, at least if you want to write things that have meaning and a certain depth.

As far as I'm concerned, I'd say it's a retired hobby that I do with a certain "amateur professionalism" out of passion! This hides a side of "activism" - I am campaigning for a world that is a little more peaceful, more bio-diverse (including man), less "single thought", less "obscurantist" (beliefs) ...

I think that's what makes the value of your books, which go for me beyond simple market gardening books (since you talk about vegetables, : Lol: Adrien), if you did not invent phenoculture, you brought it real added value with the deckchair and the freedom of spirit that goes with it and that is really your trademark
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 15/07/21, 14:44

Did67 wrote:I will be unable to say how many hours I spent writing my books ... Really no idea. The second book is an order of magnitude of 6 months, at a rate of 3 days out of 4 and an average of 8 hours per day (this varied from 3 or 4 hours or 12/14!). Come on, order of magnitude: a thousand hours. And yet I write quickly! Must say that it is consistent. By writing, I also mean the research, checks that go with it (the ideas, I had them, but I checked or specified with numbers, hundreds of data).

The first one had a lot of "versions", changes ... It was the first ... The "performance" was probably less good.

And if you think about the time taken to "accumulate", in your head, the ideas that will make the book, that's another thing!

Let's be clear: except for a few professionally organized "typewriters", the Nothombs, Lévi, Muso, Houellebecq etc, you don't make a living writing books. It is necessarily the "by-product" of a professional activity (teacher, researcher, ...) or a "lost time" passion ...

You should know that I am relatively a "bestselling author". Of course, thematic - the potential market is not the same as for a novel.

When you think that the majority of authors sell a few hundred copies ...

[By the way, do you know "Rodriguez", an American singer, of great quality, totally unknown everywhere, except in South Africa, where, following apartheid and the "piracy" of his rights, he had become so famous? than the very big rock stars - Elvis Presley or the Rolling Stones. But he ignored it completely, continuing his life as a construction worker. When you are interested in "success", if you want to stay modest, you absolutely have to watch "Searching for Suga rMan"

https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sugar_Man

Yes I know Rodriguez the singer who became a mason, who became a singer again ...
0 x
Miaos
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Miaos » 15/07/21, 15:08

We can have an idea, know all its aspects, have precise data and make a big turnip totally unreadable, boring and indigestible. I think everyone has their tastes in terms of reading, as with everything, but for my part, I really enjoyed reading it and it made me even more curious about the subject than before.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 15/07/21, 15:18

Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:
Yes I know Rodriguez the singer who became a mason, who became a singer again ...

In the documentary "Searching for Sugar Man", I found him an unusual "greatness of soul". It helped me a lot in these somewhat delicate moments that I myself experienced.

Not only is he not embittered when he learns of his notoriety, which means that he has been stolen, not only does he immediately say OK when he is offered to do concerts, but the (very bad) images of his first show in Cape Town shows enormous serenity, enormous modesty, a real symbiosis with his South African musicians, with his audience during hours of dedications ... We are happy for him. That he could have lived it like that!

And in the end, having become famous, he continues his life as a retired construction worker, in a quasi-slum in a dying city of Detroit ...

For me, I watched 3 times in a row in this period, to "draw" all the details of his expressions, his gestures, his attitudes, part of the energy that was starting to fail me ...
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 15/07/21, 15:21

Miaos wrote:..... and it made me even more curious about the subject than before.

So there, that makes me so happy ...

[I don't think a lot of gardening books talk about freedom in the subtitle! "An anti-guide for free gardeners", I am very grateful to my editor for accepting without arguing!]
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 15/07/21, 15:22

Extraordinary Sixto Rodriguez, moving film (which I must have seen at least 10 times), songs of incredible strength and quality, edifying story. Magnificent, unique, unsurpassable (and for good reason).
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 15/07/21, 19:16

Come on, "pub" sequence. This email received today:

"I am sharing with you the photos of my 2021 vegetable garden.

This is the best I have ever had, I must say that I was not really good ;-)

I added a few 5-liter Oyas with tomatoes and zucchini because I'm not there all week and sometimes it gets a little hot. It reassures me.

I had some setbacks with the slugs which literally made my salads shit. I put the plants in 20 cm plastic pots with the bottom cut off. And I added some blue grains of anti slug. I had to make a choice, because they left me nothing!

I also have a few stubborn weeds that I regularly pull out before being invaded.

I loved your book, and I really enjoy gardening your way. It really works, I started from a grassy meadow, not a single blow with a spade or a tiller, just a good thickness of hay, easy to find in Aveyron.

Thanks again for sharing, I'm following you on youtiube. "
0 x
Miaos
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Miaos » 16/07/21, 20:04

Did67 wrote:So there, that makes me so happy ...

I just have a little problem now: my wife thinks I'm crazy with my books on mycorrhizae or earthworms ... : Mrgreen:
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 17/07/21, 15:04

This cool comment (there are some - it seems there are still readers who can read !!!!) that appeared on Amazon about the second book two days ago:

"Beautiful book, well written and with beautiful illustrations. It won't tell you how to start your vegetable garden but you will be explained some very interesting things about the functioning of the living around the vegetable garden so that you can succeed at best. Don't panic, c is explained very well and it is quite understandable, even for a novice like me! This book should be read by anyone wanting to cultivate in living soil!
Thank you a thousand times for your work. "
0 x