The Potager du Sloth: the book

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Did67

Re: Le Potager du Sloth: the book

by Did67 » 27/05/21, 08:21

Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:
the phrase
“We do not yet have precise cultivation information for late fall plantings. We can assume that, for a harvest from November, you have to plant in early September. "

I would rather have written
"We do not yet have precise cultivation information for the plantations of BEGINNING fall. We can suppose that, for a harvest from November, it is necessary to plant at the beginning of September ”

Because I do not see how we can plant at the end of autumn and harvest in November and if we conclude by saying we must plant in September that means that we are planting at the beginning of autumn and not at the end of autumn

Other writing
"We do not yet have precise culture information for the HARVESTS late fall. We can assume that, for a harvest from November, you have to plant in early September. "

Here too we fall back into temporal coherence

I have to question Wolfgang. Because he writes well, in German, "spätherbstliche Sätze" - so he speaks, literally, of "planting late in autumn!" ...

I didn't take the liberty of changing the meaning of the text, even when it didn't make perfect sense to me. There, as already said, I had not tilted.

But on other passages, I did not agree. The author takes precedence. He has the right to write something that others will dispute. In general, I would ask him if this is what he wanted to write, and tell him my complaints. But if he maintained, it is translated as he wrote. My role as interpreter (of technical supervision of the interpretation, in fact) ended then. It is the author who signs!
0 x
Biobomb
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Biobomb » 27/05/21, 13:57

Did67 wrote:

with corrections, as we have just done (the second) or we will do it (the first) for mine ...

Didier, please, how can I be sure that I am ordering your reissues and not the 1st version? And maybe the release date for your 1st volume?
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 27/05/21, 14:56

You understood that there are two books.

1) For the first, there are two editions.

a) the first edition has a cover with a hay photo background; it is clear at the back

2021-05-27_14h39_25 première éd.png
2021-05-27_14h39_25 first ed.png (466.4 KiB) Viewed 1533 times

I do not understand that it is still sold, since no longer published since 2019 ...

b) the second edition has a drawn cover, in dark green

2021-05-27_14h42_26 2eme ed.png
2021-05-27_14h42_26 2eme ed.png (229.96 KiB) Viewed 1533 times

ISBN : 979-10-30102-80-2

[ISBN is the "registration number of a book; with that, a bookseller finds the right one!:]

The text has been increased (two or three passages). Many styling imperfections have been corrected (without changing ideas). This makes reading a little easier. My daughter and her companion did some humorous illustrations, which some don't like at all (humor is a difficult thing; they put a lot of affection into it but they are not pros!) ...

I just reread it and made some corrections (but there, really typos - 5 or 6). We can say that the text is unchanged. But it is for a reprint. The "stocks" will cross. I need to ask my editor if he will have another ISN.

2) The second book has a lighter green cover, but in the same style of the second edition.

2021-05-27_14h50_00 2ème livre.png
2021-05-27_14h50_00 2ème livre.png (396.39 KiB) Viewed 1533 times

It has been reprinted, after some corrections (one or two mistakes, a few typos) recently. Then again, I think the stocks are intersecting. I myself still have the old version ...

I don't know if by ordering on "Read!" (Tana or group site, I don't know any more), you are sure to receive the latest version. If so, the "online sale" is independent of the distributor's stock (Interforum) (it is not the publishers who are responsible for "supplying" booksellers, but subsidiaries) ... ????

https://www.lisez.com/livre-grand-forma ... 1030103359

https://www.lisez.com/livre-grand-forma ... 1030103359
0 x
pi-r
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by pi-r » 27/05/21, 19:20

in my opinion of reader / user:
- for the first book, the second edition being a revised version but above all "increased" it seems to me preferable to take it.
- for the second book, the re-edition containing only corrections of "typos" it seems to me without real importance to have one or the other version ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 27/05/21, 19:26

pi-r wrote:in my opinion of reader / user:
- for the first book, the second edition being a revised version but above all "increased" it seems to me preferable to take it.
- for the second book, the re-edition containing only corrections of "typos" it seems to me without real importance to have one or the other version ...

I agree. With the drawings in addition, for the first. So will be released, but I just sent the corrections today only, a re-printing of this second edition, with a few less typos (readability, except for a slip written in the footnotes that I am correcting ).

And for the second, there is only one significant error, but that almost everyone will correct "automatically" [the kind of error that you do not see, you can reread 6 times; it's a reader who pointed it out to me!]:

I wrote: 6 a.m.2O + 6CO2 give 6 C6H12O6 + 6 O2

Of course, the 6 in front of glucose is too much! It looks like an ink stain - we know it's a stain, but it's not pretty!

Read, reread, reread and not seen, it's so big!
0 x
stephgouv
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by stephgouv » 28/05/21, 10:43

Received my copy yesterday.
And for having "skimmed over it quickly" I think that with your last book and this one, we can go far!
I can't wait to read it!
Thank you for advising us!
Wolfgang heard about your last book?
Didn't he offer to do what you did with his book?
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 28/05/21, 12:53

stephgouv wrote:Received my copy yesterday.
And for having "skimmed over it quickly" I think that with your last book and this one, we can go far!
I can't wait to read it!
Thank you for advising us!
Wolfgang heard about your last book?
Didn't he offer to do what you did with his book?

Indeed, with that, we can "explore" gardening in length, width and across. Summer, like winter...

We talked about our books - I even "quickly translated" the first paragraph, which "frames" the book (and summarizes my vision). He spoke to his editor about it. But for now, no follow-up!

[But between us, translating my books, with puns, a sometimes peculiar "language", that's not going to be a piece of cake: "Honey, when are we sowing?" translated word for word doesn't give much, or "It's heatwave that killed me!" I think it will be necessary, if there is any inclination, to go through the fact that I write an "adaptation", translatable]
1 x
Biobomb
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Biobomb » 28/05/21, 14:05

Did67 wrote:
"Honey, when are we sowing?" translated word for word does not give much

Yes Didier, word for word will not be meaningful.
If I say for example to a beautiful neighbor: when do we sow, she translates as: wenn können wir miteinander ficken? :D

Seriously: if Wolfgang does not do as you did for him with us, admitting a translation of your books, they will not be read much in the Germanic world.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 28/05/21, 14:44

It's been a long time since I wanted to either make videos in German or subtitle existing videos correctly (but it's a very long and tedious job!) ...

I received a group of German gardeners one day ... It was a start ...
0 x
Doris
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Doris » 28/05/21, 23:02

Did67 wrote:It's been a long time since I wanted to either make videos in German or subtitle existing videos correctly (but it's a very long and tedious job!) ...

I received a group of German gardeners one day ... It was a start ...

But you know I keep waiting for this stuff, I'm pretty much fluent in German : Wink: (after I understand, everyday life, obligations, family life and friends, it is the most important in life. As I say, I stay on hold, if your life allows you (I say it really way " good kid ", don't take it badly)
0 x
"Enter only with your heart, bring nothing from the world.
And don't tell what people say "
Edmond Rostand