Lazy garden: questions STONES / LIERRE / CANICULE?

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Theine
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Lazy garden: questions STONES / LIERRE / CANICULE?

by Theine » 08/05/19, 18:12

Hello,

After reading the "Garden of the Sloths", I would need some additional advice: I have a plot really filled with old stones from construction sites and the earth is below. I would like to install my garden there because it is right next to my house (easier to monitor :-).
How am I organized? I will be obliged to remove all these big stones to provide planting and that the plants have room for their roots not? Suddenly, I make a big cleaning and then I straw directly with hay and shredded wood? Can I let it sit for a month or two to let the life underneath in terms of bacteria / mushrooms / glasses of earth? And then I plant and I do not touch?

Ditto, I have a field that was massively invaded with large ivy all over the ground, which killed all the other plants by depriving them of light. He made a groundsheet. The ground was cleaned by the former owners a few months ago, the ground is still full of ivy roots. I have nothing against ivy, it can grow back a bit but I would like to encourage the development of other wild plants, "wild garden" style. Advices ? I let nature do it? I bring seeds? I water?

Finally, what attitude to adopt in a heat wave ??? If I put my tomatoes in the sun under hay: I do not water? I cover ?

Thank you ! :-)
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Potager lazy: questions STONES / LIERRE / CANICULE?

by Moindreffor » 08/05/19, 18:28

for the stones yes you can remove the biggest ones, but after you do not go to work the soil, the small ones are less troublesome, after it is you who sees, the roots bypass the stones, perhaps more troublesome for the vegetables roots and again

once you have installed the hay, you can plant directly in it, wait for everything that is in the bucket, if you are afraid that it lacks fertility you can bring the mowing of dry grass, under the hay where you install your plants , or even bring an organic fertilizer, even chemical, it's still you who sees where you place your cursor

for ivy, if you install or let other "wild" plants grow you can buy mixtures, it's up to you to see how quickly it takes over the ground, and if it suffocates everyone or if it is dominated , otherwise well you have to master it a little or a lot

for tomatoes, not to water is not the goal, it is to water just what is needed, when they are thirsty, that is to say when the leaves roll and in the morning, they remain,

often the vegetables are hot but not thirsty, they show signs to heat the day, but after dark, the situation becomes normal again

on the other hand the small red fruits they need water if the fruiting stops

here it is if it can help you, and welcome
1 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Theine
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Theine » 08/05/19, 21:08

Thank you for your valuable Moindreffor tips! I will see how to install all this quietly this year and observe :-)
0 x
MadameOurs
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by MadameOurs » 08/05/19, 22:35

So I did well to go through there!
I did not imagine there could be a difference for plants too between hot and thirsty. Thank you Moindreffor.

Theine at home also I began to décaillouter, first the big stones and then I took quickly to the game, every time I pass I pick up. I now have a very big pile of pebbles!

Good luck : Wink:
0 x
Today there is dessert.
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 08/05/19, 23:50

As far as the heat wave is concerned, I don't think we're already there, although it depends on where you live ... For the tomatoes, if they are in the open, they tolerate heat rather well and according to Didier it would be recommended to avoid (over) watering them so that the young plants quickly initiate collaboration with the fungi (if there is fungus) through an exchange of chemical signals that prime the mycohrizes. Indeed, if the plant needs water, it is interested in a symbiotic relationship with the fungi which can make available to it this water which is locked in the fine particles of the soil. If you give it a mess of water and nutrients, then this symbiosis is no longer necessary and once the plant has grown it is no longer able (or less?) To establish it and / or the fungi. may no longer be "operational" (dead, in symbiosis with other plants ...?).

Under greenhouse type protection I monitor the temperature with a thermometer in order to avoid as much as possible exceeding 30 ° ("in the shade") of direct sunlight. For that I play on the openings of the protection to circulate the air and / or I veil or "sift" the protection (adding a layer of wintering veil for example but it can be a light fabric, sheet or something else ...) as much as possible (depending on my availability, presence). In my opinion, here, at this time of the year it is not decisive, even if a buffer of extremes is favorable.
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 09/05/19, 00:10

Yes stones you remove them as it is the quietest ....

As said above the roots will get around them .... without worries.

It's only for carrots or parsnips that it can be a little awkward at first ...
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 09/05/19, 09:10

MadameOurs wrote:So I did well to go through there!
I did not imagine there could be a difference for plants too between hot and thirsty. Thank you Moindreffor.

your soil may very well be wet under the hay, and it may be very hot, so the plant will close its stomata to limit evapotranspiration, it will get hot, but with the cool of the night, it will open them and as it does not lack water in the morning it will look normal if it is thirsty, in the morning it will lack water so the stomata will remain closed, the leaves will keep the appearance of the day

so it's the morning you have to watch his vegetables, depending on the aspect you'll know if they are thirsty or if they were hot, but be careful, even if the hay can limit watering, it does not prevent sometimes it is better to water the hay around the foot than only the foot, because without water the hay will not mineralize anymore and thus its degradation will be stopped and the plant will not be nourished what is detrimental for gourmet plants like zucchini

MadameOurs wrote: at home, too, I began to decouple, first the big stones and then I quickly took the game, every time I pass I pick up. I now have a very big pile of pebbles!
Good luck : Wink:

yes a collection by the way is the right solution too, at home when I find a pebble I withdraw it I do not really know why because it does not bother me, but it is a habit, as it does not harm the kitchen garden n is not serious, but do not make an obsession : Mrgreen:
0 x
(of me)
Theine
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Theine » 09/05/19, 21:15

Ah, MadameOurs, I feel less alone ;-)

So removing all the large stones is not going to be an easy task but I was especially afraid of killing all this life that makes a good garden grow (worms, fungi, bacteria ...) I am reading "Le potager du lazy "so you understand ... :-) After that, I'm going to turn it all upside down and life will come back! As you say, I would do all of this little by little.

No for the heat wave, we are not there yet, although we have already had 29 degree in Lorraine for 2 days a few weeks ago and then rebelote the week after ... then the jelly ... which country! ! :-) But as you say, and as Didier says, what I want is to nurture this collaboration in the ground and not bring an element that could serve, you have understood everything. There I just arrived in my house, I have no greenhouse and I wonder how to react when my tomatoes will try to survive 30 degrees in full sun .... OK I note, a white sheet is a good idea or a veil if I invested a little. I will think about it.
After I will do like you, I will do tests, fail, start again and here ...

Moindreffor, so if I understand correctly, if my tomatoes are hot / thirsty, they try to regulate themselves at night ... and if the leaves are rolled up during the day, they are thirsty and here I can water them a little in the morning ? We must keep the hay slightly damp below if I read everything. It's cute this story of tomato leaves that curl anyway, I like :-)

Thank you all, your writings are very informative!

I have to call a lady for organic hay tomorrow! :-)
0 x
to be chafoin
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by to be chafoin » 10/05/19, 10:14

It is quite normal if the leaves curl a little at the end of the hot day. The warning signal is rather when the leaves are rolled up in the early morning after the dew ...
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 10/05/19, 21:14

and it is better a big watering occasionally than a little more often, watering the hay around the foot
0 x
(of me)