How to start a "Lazy Vegetable Garden" easier than permaculture: steps and advice

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: How to start a "Lazy Potager" simpler than permaculture: steps and tips

by Moindreffor » 30/07/20, 11:27

I think our friend is asking too many questions and hesitates to start
1) yes create your own thread to easily find your questions and especially the answers
2) we start when we want, but you know the adage you have to start on time, so why wait
3) clearly distinguish between what Didier does at home and what we each do on our own and what you will do at home, there is no reproducibility

the important thing is to start and observe, the more you wait, the less you have to observe, it is not the hay that you are going to put on your vegetable garden that will cause a natural disaster

this year, for example, I put straw before winter to bring a little carbon, I put it before winter so that it is a little decomposed when planting the crops in May and no luck, it was dry in March and therefore it did not decompose enough, if I had put in hay, before winter it would have been too decomposed and if I had put it in early March like the 'last year it wouldn't have decomposed at all

So understanding how it works is the principle that Didier defends because you always have to adapt, it's different for everyone and it's different every year or not : Mrgreen:

so, either you try to read this thread, to understand it's free and free : Mrgreen: , either you buy Didier's book which will clarify and summarize this for you and you have a slight investment

after each vegetable that you plant at home will have a different development, for me the zucchini is 1m between each foot for others it is more, and for me it may be more in the years to come
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Delphine
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Delphine » 30/07/20, 11:29

Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:As said previously the best, if you want to work in the long term is to create your own discussion thread at least there will be all the questions relating to your context.

I thought I was doing the right thing, because the title of this thread is: "how to get started ..." "steps and tips". I thought I had my place there, without having to create a new thread, which might not be seen.

Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:Why can't you start straight away?

For a lot of reasons: I don't have any hay yet (nor even tried to buy it), I don't have any seeds either, I haven't even defined the size of the vegetable garden (I'm waiting on my husband, please leave me a piece of the garden, but which one ??? and with future outdoor work, the planned location may be roughed up), and I don't like to do things without preparation .
I am currently in the process of making myself a small document to help me in my experience of the lazy vegetable garden.
For example, I have found the varieties of vegetables that I like and that I think are suitable for my region. So, I hope to order them soon. But as long as I don't know the surface of my future vegetable garden, I don't need to order the seeds (I won't buy 6 different ones, if in the end, I only have room for 3 vegetables. .). It is for all that.
By the time I finished everything, so as not to put pressure on myself, I decided not to start until 2021.
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 30/07/20, 11:40

no problem, we advise you to open your thread, because it is more practical for you, generally we look at all the threads so, we will go on yours

hay can easily be stored for more than a year, so looking for it now and storing it is to prepare, even if you do not use everything the first year it will be the next year, be careful, the phenoculture tends to invade spaces, we start small and then it grows

the same seeds, you can keep it for a year or two ..., but if you have a small area, buying plants is easier
0 x
(of me)
Delphine
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Delphine » 30/07/20, 11:46

Moindreffor wrote:So understanding how it works is the principle that Didier defends because you always have to adapt, it's different for everyone and it's different every year or not : Mrgreen:

That I understood well (that I had to understand : Cheesy: ), but each has their own profession (or hobby). I am a watchmaker. If I had to explain watchmaking to you, you would have the basics of how it works, but not the details. And some of these details also make all the difference whether a watch runs or not. Knowing nothing about it, I went far away

Moindreffor wrote:so, either you try to read this thread, to understand it's free and free : Mrgreen: , either you buy Didier's book which will clarify and summarize this for you and you have a slight investment

I read the thread, in full, I even read another on this forum. I had about 60 questions before, which I answered myself, as I went along, by reading these threads. And as specified in my first post, I already have Didier's book and I read it too : Mrgreen: . But his book explains his method and the reasons for its operation, it's not "nature and vegetables for Dummies" either, so I still found myself with questions that seem silly to you. (for example, I had to read a third of the book before understanding the term adventitia).

In any case, I thank you for your answers, because they always refine my idea of ​​the vegetable garden a little more (and decorate my little file : Lol: ).
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 30/07/20, 12:01

So you have all the basics to start well
you have made your little list of vegetables, if you want you give it to us and we will see with you what is best suited to start, for example we are not bad at having very mixed successes with carrots so, maybe not the best vegetables to start with

and as I wrote to you above, buying a sachet of salads to sow, put in a bucket then transplant is perhaps a lot of work for 2 or 3 plants that you need, so look for a good horticulturalist who will selling the vegetable plants individually and plants from your region it may be a first step, in addition, you will find seasonal vegetables, just chat with him a little, because sometimes they sell a little more early for those who have greenhouses, so wait 15 days 3 weeks for full soil

example I tested the carrots for transplanting (personal sowing) only 4 have emerged, they are in the vegetable garden I am waiting to harvest them to see what it will give, you can also try things while knowing that you must not count on it

if not by putting hay now, you can test some escaroles or some curly, autumn vegetables that will not survive the winter
0 x
(of me)
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 30/07/20, 13:55

Delphyne wrote:
Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:As said previously the best, if you want to work in the long term is to create your own discussion thread at least there will be all the questions relating to your context.

I thought I was doing the right thing, because the title of this thread is: "how to get started ..." "steps and tips". I thought I had my place there, without having to create a new thread, which might not be seen.

Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:Why can't you start straight away?

For a lot of reasons: I don't have any hay yet (nor even tried to buy it), I don't have any seeds either, I haven't even defined the size of the vegetable garden (I'm waiting on my husband, please leave me a piece of the garden, but which one ??? and with future outdoor work, the planned location may be roughed up), and I don't like to do things without preparation .
I am currently in the process of making myself a small document to help me in my experience of the lazy vegetable garden.
For example, I have found the varieties of vegetables that I like and that I think are suitable for my region. So, I hope to order them soon. But as long as I don't know the surface of my future vegetable garden, I don't need to order the seeds (I won't buy 6 different ones, if in the end, I only have room for 3 vegetables. .). It is for all that.
By the time I finished everything, so as not to put pressure on myself, I decided not to start until 2021.

Why open your personal thread?
Because tomorrow someone will come and put their information in this one which will mix with yours and we will no longer recognize ourselves in it.

Ok already we can see more clearly.
Not knowing the future location of your vegetable garden, it is better to take your trouble patiently.
It would be a shame to spread hay on what will be (for example) the future bowling alley.

Approximately what area will be dedicated to you?
0 x
Delphine
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Delphine » 16/08/20, 10:38

Okay, I have a surface!
It is 4m30 by 3m40. But I'm going to divide it into 2x 1m45 / 4m30, to have a small space between, so that I can move around.
And finally, I go to see with the local farmers for the hay. As soon as I have it, I put it down.
For the seeds, I plan to buy: Chioggia Beet / Carentan Carrot / Russian Red Kale / White Scallion / Green Vegetable Courgette / Carentan Leek / Ostergruss Rosa Radish / Batavia Ice Cream Salad / Black Prince Tomato
I thought I saw that these varieties withstood the cold. So, I would see what it is after a year in the vegetable garden.

Small anecdote: I returned to work for a week. A colleague who recently bought a house with a garden plans to build a vegetable garden as well. And it turns out it's also a sloth's vegetable garden he wants to do! The world is getting lazy :)
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 16/08/20, 10:56

Delphyne wrote:Okay, I have a surface!
It is 4m30 by 3m40. But I'm going to divide it into 2x 1m45 / 4m30, to have a small space between, so that I can move around.
And finally, I go to see with the local farmers for the hay. As soon as I have it, I put it down.
For the seeds, I plan to buy: Chioggia Beet / Carentan Carrot / Russian Red Kale / White Scallion / Green Vegetable Courgette / Carentan Leek / Ostergruss Rosa Radish / Batavia Ice Cream Salad / Black Prince Tomato
I thought I saw that these varieties withstood the cold. So, I would see what it is after a year in the vegetable garden.

Small anecdote: I returned to work for a week. A colleague who recently bought a house with a garden plans to build a vegetable garden as well. And it turns out it's also a sloth's vegetable garden he wants to do! The world is getting lazy :)

you seem to want to get into sowing, be careful, this is not always the best way to start, but you will always have the possibility of referring to a horticulturalist if necessary
the ice queen is a summer salad, its name is misleading : Mrgreen:
good luck, and you will have the opportunity to chat with your colleague at the coffee machine : Mrgreen:
0 x
(of me)
alkaline
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by alkaline » 02/10/20, 17:29

Delphyne wrote:Okay, I have a surface!
And finally, I go to see with the local farmers for the hay. As soon as I have it, I put it down. .
I think it's great to start small like this so you have time to see how the plants react.
Delphyne wrote:For the seeds, I planned to buy: Chioggia Beet / Carentan Carrot / Russian Red Kale / White Scallion / Green Vegetable Courgette / Carentan Leek / Ostergruss Rosa Radish / Batavia Ice Cream Salad / Black Prince Tomato
It seems a lot to me for a small area ... the first time I planted leeks I had put about twenty (it already takes up space) and in the end I ate 2 ... I mean it's that we can sow / plant more than what we think we are eating and suddenly it takes up space ... but the best is to test and you will get your idea.
To find out what is growing in the area, the best is to walk around and look around in the other vegetable gardens, lazy or not that gives you ideas : Wink:
0 x
it depends
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 03/10/20, 13:54

Delphyne, start by planting, it is easier for a beginner especially the small seeds. You can try the cucurbits which are easy to manage, then beans or small weights.
0 x