How to start a "Lazy Vegetable Garden" easier than permaculture: steps and advice

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: How to start a "Lazy Potager" simpler than permaculture: steps and tips

by Ahmed » 25/05/20, 19:39

Did, you say:
I don't know if it's juglone that smells like this, but I deduce that walnut leaves are "washed out" before they even decompose ...

It is a good interpretation, the juglone has a heady smell in high doses (I like! 8) ), but I also think that it disappears quickly once the plant is dead.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Did67

by Did67 » 25/05/20, 22:08

The effects of hay could not "restore" fertility. In winter, there are few activities. The hay has to decompose first - quite a job for the living, who uses it first. The effects will be later!
0 x
jft78
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by jft78 » 26/05/20, 09:02

Yes, I sinned optimistically ... I must say that it works so well next door. Within 2 or 3m, big difference in behavior.
Next weekend, just for the "lesson of the matter", I will transplant maybe 2 or 3 feet in an area which is currently grassed and has not been cultivated for a long time. I had noticed lots of castings in early spring when the weather was wetter. I had some in the grass all over the place.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 26/05/20, 09:54

The "lazy man's vegetable garden" is not a system for people in a hurry!

If, depending on the soil, completely correct results can be observed from the following summer (but already there, be patient: which at the start is a drawback and generates delay - a very wet soil and long cold in the out of winter, then becomes an advantage: "next door" it suffers and under the hay, it gauzes!) ... We are there in July / August!

But the complete system, with parasitic / auxiliary balances, with a change in soil structure, with stable organic matter, with increased natural fertility, a balanced pH etc etc ... it's a story of 3 then 6 then 25 years!

The gardener in a hurry, remains the infusion (chemical in the past, "organic" today, but it is the infusion!).

And to change a gardener, sometimes a life is not enough! See some (rare) insults in the comments of the videos on YT (recently a stylish "spiked helmet" in my place!)
0 x
jft78
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by jft78 » 26/05/20, 10:33

Ah yes, totally agree, for patience. And above all that certain tests can only be done once a year.
it's been a few years already since I abandoned the spade fork (and stopped breaking my back), then applied a cover, first of the manure of straw horse + dead leaves, then rather with grass clipping, for now be interested in hay.
Each time, I noticed changes, but without "revolution". Let's say it moves slowly.
Thank you Didier.
0 x
Delphine
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Delphine » 23/07/20, 09:34

Hello Hello.
I'm new. So forum (and even a little on all forums net, in fact ...).
I am totally "zero" in gardening / vegetable garden, in the sense that I have never done any. Let's say I am at level 1/100 (still not level 0, because I know that the zucchini come from the garden, and not from the supermarket ...). In short...
Despite everything, I always wanted to have a vegetable garden, but without having to take care of it (if it grows by itself in nature, why do I have to put my two cents in). So, bingo the day I was offered Didier's book (2nd edition, with the kangaroos, I often died laughing).
Finally here, I really want to get started! I make myself a little file to plan well in advance and anticipate the (little) work that I will do there.
I even want to make a little herbarium from the garden, because most of the plants mentioned in the thread, I don't know them ...
So, I'm going to ask a lot of questions, and some will probably be very basic, like a 5 year old, sorry in advance.

I'm going to start my vegetable garden on a very small plot, like 2,5m by 4m (my husband having already planted flowers and shrubs all over the place, I don't have more surface area possible). And I'd rather sow the seeds than use seedlings.
I don't think I will start for this fall, but for the spring of 2021. We must have outdoor work, and I don't want the craftsmen to screw everything up with their gear.
I live near Pontarlier (Doubs / Franche-Comté), and about 20 km from the Swiss border and their "Siberia" (Brévine). In general, we can have the first frosts at the beginning of November, and the last snow at the end of April ... A winter season of 6 months ...

The area I am thinking of cultivating will be mostly in the sun (30 min after sunrise, up to 1 hour before sunset). It is not a meadow, but a piece of garden with regularly mowed grass.

My questions:
1: If I want to start in 2021, when would be the best time to spread my hay?
2: And to plant my seeds afterwards, how long after the hay? Where which period?
3: Once the vegetables have sprouted, how do I know I should harvest this or that vegetable?
4: From the moment I harvested my vegetable (s), I understood that I left the plant as it is, for it to continue to nourish the beings in the soil. But after? For example, a zucchini, I just leave the whole plant and cover with hay around? Will that give me zucchini again next time?
Or do I have to cut, to replant the seeds?
5: There isn't really a date to re-spread the hay, I just have to watch the height of the hay layer, right? What is the minimum from which I have to move and spread my hay?
6: We have a hazelnut hedge. When my husband prunes them, the branches end up in green waste. Can I keep them, grind them and use them as BRF?
7: I have some yellow raspberries (really strong! A regrowth has traveled a lot to come to my place and has adapted well, despite the cold and the change of location, for several years already). If I understood correctly, to help them (the beings in the soil below), I must put a layer of hay at the base of the raspberries, with a small dose of BRF in addition?
8: As I'm going to start spring 2021, I was thinking of planting among those: carrot, zucchini, tomato, salad, turnip, melon, celery, eggplant, red cabbage, spring onion, leek. What do you think?

There you go, for a first forum, I make text! I'm motivated!
Thank you in advance to the people who will answer my questions.
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 24/07/20, 10:50

Delphyne wrote:Hello Hello.
I am totally "zero" in gardening / vegetable garden, in the sense that I have never done any. Let's say I am at level 1/100 (still not level 0, because I know that the zucchini come from the garden, and not from the supermarket ...). In short...
Despite everything, I always wanted to have a vegetable garden, but without having to take care of it (if it grows by itself in nature, why do I have to put my two cents in). So, bingo the day I was offered Didier's book (2nd edition, with the kangaroos, I often died laughing).
Finally here, I really want to get started! I make myself a little file to plan well in advance and anticipate the (little) work that I will do there.
I even want to make a little herbarium from the garden, because most of the plants mentioned in the thread, I don't know them ...
So, I'm going to ask a lot of questions, and some will probably be very basic, like a 5 year old, sorry in advance.

I'm going to start my vegetable garden on a very small plot, like 2,5m by 4m (my husband having already planted flowers and shrubs all over the place, I don't have more surface area possible). And I'd rather sow the seeds than use seedlings.
I don't think I will start for this fall, but for the spring of 2021. We must have outdoor work, and I don't want the craftsmen to screw everything up with their gear.
I live near Pontarlier (Doubs / Franche-Comté), and about 20 km from the Swiss border and their "Siberia" (Brévine). In general, we can have the first frosts at the beginning of November, and the last snow at the end of April ... A winter season of 6 months ...

The area I am thinking of cultivating will be mostly in the sun (30 min after sunrise, up to 1 hour before sunset). It is not a meadow, but a piece of garden with regularly mowed grass.

My questions:
2: And to plant my seeds afterwards, how long after the hay? Where which period?
3: Once the vegetables have sprouted, how do I know I should harvest this or that vegetable?
4: From the moment I harvested my vegetable (s), I understood that I left the plant as it is, for it to continue to nourish the beings in the soil. But after? For example, a zucchini, I just leave the whole plant and cover with hay around? Will that give me zucchini again next time?
5: There isn't really a date to re-spread the hay, I just have to watch the height of the hay layer, right? What is the minimum from which I have to move and spread my hay?
6: We have a hazelnut hedge. When my husband prunes them, the branches end up in green waste. Can I keep them, grind them and use them as BRF?
7: I have some yellow raspberries (really strong! A regrowth has traveled a lot to come to my place and has adapted well, despite the cold and the change of location, for several years already). If I understood correctly, to help them (the beings in the soil below), I must put a layer of hay at the base of the raspberries, with a small dose of BRF in addition?
8: As I'm going to start spring 2021, I was thinking of planting among those: carrot, zucchini, tomato, salad, turnip, melon, celery, eggplant, red cabbage, spring onion, leek. What do you think?

motivation is good, the most difficult is to keep it and we will do everything to help you
already you can open a post all by yourself by giving it a nice name that characterizes you well
after for the hay, you put it when you want, I will say when you have it, there is no point in storing it in your case, you spread it out and you let it happen, because once it is put, you will see the desire to install something there will quickly happen
Here it is, for me, start slowly, from the beginning
for raspberries it is rather simply BRF and yes crushed hazelnuts is good
after considering your surface area, you will have to make choices, it is better to plant vegetables in sufficient quantity to fill the plate of the whole family, once or twice than to have a sample type harvest
so open your post and we'll meet up for the rest
welcome and have fun : Mrgreen:
1 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Delphine
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Delphine » 29/07/20, 12:09

Moindreffor wrote:
Delphyne wrote:Hello Hello.

My questions:

motivation is good, the most difficult is to keep it and we will do everything to help you
already you can open a post all by yourself by giving it a nice name that characterizes you well
after for the hay, you put it when you want, I will say when you have it, there is no point in storing it in your case, you spread it out and you let it happen, because once it is put, you will see the desire to install something there will quickly happen
Here it is, for me, start slowly, from the beginning
for raspberries it is rather simply BRF and yes crushed hazelnuts is good
after considering your surface area, you will have to make choices, it is better to plant vegetables in sufficient quantity to fill the plate of the whole family, once or twice than to have a sample type harvest
so open your post and we'll meet up for the rest
welcome and have fun : Mrgreen:

Thank you for your answer.
A few more questions ...
Already I thought this thread was some kind of FAQ. Do I really have to create a new thread?
Then, I don't remember very well, but if I spread out my hay too early, without doing any cultivation (since I will start only in the spring of 2021), there will not be "leaching" of ... . (I no longer know the name of the component) which could pollute the water tables?
Next: I imagine that there must be some space between the furrows that I sow. And that must depend on the plant sown !? Like, I must not plant zucchini every 30 cm in my furrow, and make this furrow 30cm from the left and right one !? I've just?
Thank you : Oops:
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 29/07/20, 15:03

Delphine, in the mountains a vegetable garden is much more difficult to do, begins by reading the thread of the vegetable garden at 800m. He is far from being a lazy person, but he has lived in high altitude gardens.
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 29/07/20, 16:43

Delphyne wrote:A few more questions ...
Already I thought this thread was some kind of FAQ. Do I really have to create a new thread?
Then, I don't remember very well, but if I spread out my hay too early, without doing any cultivation (since I will start only in the spring of 2021), there will not be "leaching" of ... . (I no longer know the name of the component) which could pollute the water tables?
Next: I imagine that there must be some space between the furrows that I sow. And that must depend on the plant sown !? Like, I must not plant zucchini every 30 cm in my furrow, and make this furrow 30cm from the left and right one !? I've just?
Thank you : Oops:

As said previously the best, if you want to work in the long term is to create your own discussion thread at least there will be all the questions relating to your context.

Why can't you start straight away?
0 x