How to start a "Lazy Vegetable Garden" easier than permaculture: steps and advice

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: How to start a "Lazy Potager" simpler than permaculture: steps and tips

by sicetaitsimple » 07/02/20, 18:17

Moindreffor wrote:
Julienmos wrote:stupid question, does this juglone stay in the ground, or does it end up "disappearing" over time (decomposing)?

look under a walnut tree if there is grass or not and you will have your answer, no need to look far, nature often has the answer ...

You should still read a little what precedes or follows before making a "definitive" answer beside the plate. The "new" information "is that some plants are susceptible and others are not.
0 x
Julienmos
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Julienmos » 07/02/20, 22:02

OK some plants do not grow, or badly, because the presence of juglone, but under a walnut tree there is always some, okay, on the other hand if I straw the vegetable garden with walnut leaves (not enough juglone in this case if I read correctly) only once, after decomposition of these leaves, this juglone will undoubtedly disappear if it is leached (is it washable?) but is it a poison which cannot absolutely be "decomposed", "transformed ..." in the ground, so that it is no longer a poison?
yes it's very vague what I'm saying : Lol:
0 x
VetusLignum
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by VetusLignum » 07/02/20, 22:39

Julienmos wrote:OK some plants do not grow, or badly, because the presence of juglone, but under a walnut tree there is always some, okay, on the other hand if I straw the vegetable garden with walnut leaves (not enough juglone in this case if I read correctly) only once, after decomposition of these leaves, this juglone will undoubtedly disappear if it is leached (is it washable?) but is it a poison which cannot absolutely be "decomposed", "transformed ..." in the ground, so that it is no longer a poison?
yes it's very vague what I'm saying : Lol:

Yes, there is juglone in the leaves. The leaf juglone decomposes in 1 month. By cons, for wood chips, it takes more time.
https://www.extension.iastate.edu/news/ ... 070701.htm
0 x
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 07/02/20, 22:48

sicetaitsimple wrote:
Moindreffor wrote:
Julienmos wrote:stupid question, does this juglone stay in the ground, or does it end up "disappearing" over time (decomposing)?

look under a walnut tree if there is grass or not and you will have your answer, no need to look far, nature often has the answer ...

You should still read a little what precedes or follows before making a "definitive" answer beside the plate. The "new" information "is that some plants are susceptible and others are not.

ok, well, whatever you want, news, ok
I'm just saying that under a walnut tree there grows grass, that under a walnut tree there is a lot of shade because it is a tree with low branches, so let's say that it may not be the best place to plant your vegetable garden, but after everyone has made their choice, so maybe too definitive as an answer ok, but I find it common sense

So unless you only have this place to do your vegetable garden, moving the vegetable garden would solve the problem much more easily
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
Julienmos
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Julienmos » 07/02/20, 22:56

another question would be to know if this poison can be found in the vegetable then on the plate and harm health?
0 x
Julienmos
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Julienmos » 07/02/20, 22:58

VetusLignum wrote:The leaf juglone decomposes in 1 month.
https://www.extension.iastate.edu/news/ ... 070701.htm

surprising since the walnut leaves still take more than a month to decompose?
0 x
plasmanu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by plasmanu » 08/02/20, 16:00

At my neighbor's house to the north. Beneath his walnut tree grows a Bernard engine, a pile of wood and a rejection of his hedge.
The boars broke down the fence and pass under my living room window and in front of the veranda window. Visible also from the terrace and the garden.
Garden and wild boars are very friendly. We will have to find a solution
Attachments
IMG_20200208_154331.jpg
IMG_20200208_095459.jpg
IMG_20200208_095529.jpg
IMG_20200208_095646.jpg
0 x
"Not to see Evil, not to hear Evil, not to speak Evil" 3 little monkeys Mizaru
Did67

by Did67 » 09/02/20, 11:20

Julienmos wrote:
surprising since the walnut leaves still take more than a month to decompose?

There are two things: the time it takes for the juglone to be "released" and the time it takes for it to decompose ... Knowing that a lot of soluble "molecules" (I think that is the case with the juglone) diffuses like the aroma of tea or herbal tea or coffee ...

I very clearly "felt" the typical smell of "walnut leaves" when you put the fresh leaves (after they have fallen, you can smell the pile at 1 meter!), And a few times later, you hardly smell nothing more (you have to put your nose in a handful of leaves)! I don't know if it's juglone that smells like it, but I guess the walnut leaves are "washed out" before they even decompose ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 09/02/20, 11:26

plasmanu wrote:At my neighbor's house to the north. Beneath his walnut tree grows a Bernard engine, a pile of wood and a rejection of his hedge.

And you forgot the red plastic crate! What a remarkable gardener, your neighbor!

Always the wild boars, like at home. They love to wallow in brambles like that, where you don't bother them much. To come and scratch in the vegetable patch, with a certain awkwardness.

I haven't tried all the "stuff" like human hair, mothballs, urine ...

I went straight to the final and radical stage: "special boar electric fence". 100% efficient; not a single incursion since its inception (in reality one, last summer, after 6 months of non-connection), even if 3/4 of the time, due to various works, it is not even connected continuously. They take a chestnut and a priori they memorize - like horses and cows!
0 x
jft78
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by jft78 » 25/05/20, 17:54

I dig up this thread following my last messages last fall concerning the placement of hay for the first time in the vegetable patch and sowing of green manure.
During the winter, the green manure grew well and I obtained a beautiful yellow and blue "field" (white mustard + phacelia) in March / April. On the other hand, very little trace of the rye that I had sown at the same time (end of September).
So nice production of material except on a strip of about 1,5m wide. First of all, I accused the very active birds (crows / robins / magpies) here. The seedling has risen, then, nothing more, everything has been covered on this strip. It hadn't worried me more than that, but today I doubt this hasty conclusion.
This strip remained very clean, while elsewhere, some dandelions managed to pass through the hay + the cinquefoil which begins to take a serious ascendancy since the mowing of the green manure, but I already had some before unwinding the hay. I just take it out when I plant.
And on this "clean" surface I planted cherry tomato plants, which have remained "taped" since (they have hardly moved for 10 days). Elsewhere, potatoes are superb in hay, salads and cabbages too.
Before unrolling the hay, I had strawberry plants cultivated there for several years on an opaque tarpaulin. So never contributed for several years.
Is it possible that the strawberries have "exhausted" the surface and that the thickness of hay applied (just once) was not sufficient to start things up again? And therefore, feed "very seriously" by loading with hay before recovering "correct" functioning?
In fact, I now have the impression that if the green manure has been covered, it is because it has simply grown slower than elsewhere! The birds just did their job of "cleaning up" to find food.
0 x