How to start a "Lazy Vegetable Garden" easier than permaculture: steps and advice

Agriculture and soil. Pollution control, soil remediation, humus and new agricultural techniques.
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: How to start a "Lazy Potager" simpler than permaculture: steps and tips

by GuyGadebois » 05/02/20, 17:43

Valérie Normandie wrote:
Hello,
This is a question that I have been asking myself for some time. My vegetable garden, covered with hay, is partly under a walnut tree.

Hello, as far as I know, there is not much that grows under a walnut tree because of a poison (as Ahmed said) produced by this tree called "juglone" and I am always said you shouldn't take a nap underneath or plant anything edible. Others here, much more knowledgeable than me, will be able to confirm or deny what I have just written.
http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/french/crop ... xicity.htm
0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
"By definition the cause is the product of the effect". (Tryphion)
"360 / 000 / 0,5 is 100 million and not 72 million" (AVC)
Did67

by Did67 » 05/02/20, 18:32

Under mine, in front of the house, there is a mass of all kinds of "flowers", including savages, irises, etc ... This does not seem to bother them ...

I use the leaves of my neighbor's very large walnut tree to "crack" my red fruits. I did not observe any catastrophe.

The American walnut seems, in fact, a killer. Normal for a Trump cowboy.

With us, several factors seem to play: lack of light (the walnut trees cover well, low branches - mine, for reasons of "parking" sees the first rows of branches graze) + competition for water + undoubtedly an effect juglone ...

The neighbor mows his lawn, and despite the massive appearance of his walnut tree, there is grass below.

I wonder if in recent years water has not been the main issue. A tree like this pumps hundreds of liters a day ... And if it doesn't rain, it is probably enough for:

a) it doesn't grow hard

b) but the soil organisms suffer and come to life slowed down (a Sloth vegetable garden first needs water to water the cattle of the soil, before even thinking of vegetables).
0 x
VetusLignum
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by VetusLignum » 07/02/20, 12:50

Did67 wrote:The American walnut seems, in fact, a killer. Normal for a Trump cowboy.

Yes, black walnut produces more juglone.
A list of sensitive and resistant plants: https://www.mortonarb.org/trees-plants/ ... t-toxicity
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 07/02/20, 13:30

Very interesting - I didn't know this list of sensitive plants. And this perhaps explains that? I mean that the difference of opinion may be related to what we tried to cultivate below!
0 x
Julienmos
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Julienmos » 07/02/20, 13:44

stupid question, does this juglone stay in the ground, or does it end up "disappearing" over time (decomposing)?
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 07/02/20, 16:16

Did67 wrote:Very interesting - I didn't know this list of sensitive plants. And this perhaps explains that? I mean that the difference of opinion may be related to what we tried to cultivate below!

According to this article, it would be more like what we tried to cultivate "above"! (juglone being according to the article mainly secreted by the roots)

http://www.omafra.gov.on.ca/french/crop ... xicity.htm
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 07/02/20, 17:49

Oops, sorry ... I had not seen that Guygadebois had already given this reference qq posts above.
0 x
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadebois » 07/02/20, 17:52

sicetaitsimple wrote:Oops, sorry ... I had not seen that Guygadebois had already given this reference qq posts above.

And in French! : Cheesy:
0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
"By definition the cause is the product of the effect". (Tryphion)
"360 / 000 / 0,5 is 100 million and not 72 million" (AVC)
Moindreffor
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Moindreffor » 07/02/20, 18:09

Julienmos wrote:stupid question, does this juglone stay in the ground, or does it end up "disappearing" over time (decomposing)?

look under a walnut tree if there is grass or not and you will have your answer, no need to look far, nature often has the answer ...
0 x
"Those with the biggest ears are not the ones who hear the best"
(of me)
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 07/02/20, 18:10

That said, it does not detract from my comment, the juglone would be rather secreted by the roots according to the article. This goes in the direction of a certain harmlessness vis-à-vis mulching by leaves of walnut, subject approached already a long time ago by Didier.

But I'm just reading and guessing ....
0 x